Sign in to follow this  
Mariopilot

OPEN BETA/COMMUNITY PROJECT: OSM World

Do you know if there is a way to batch process shapefiles in QGIS, at least to get up to BLNs?

If the process would be in the toolbox of QGIS, you can right click on it and select batch process or batch run or something. Maybe Mario could update the plugin to show in the toolbox if it doesn't already. :)

...or just have the plugin let you select which layers to export, with what name and where... hardest part is how to program the GUI in Python... I am such a noob at it :)

signature.jpg

OK, I installed the EURW scenery, just to see how everything is organized. What I can't understand reading the DevKit is, if you're processing 4°x4° tiles, how did you end up with one single BGL for each category (primary roads, lakes, rivers, canals, tracks, coasts, etc) for, let's say, Sweden (which spans 15° N-S)? Or did you work with various tiles simultaneously in Sbuilder?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Well, the 4x4 system applies mainly to coastlines! It also is used for roads as a guideline when the need to split in multiple areas arises (for file size reasons). But generally for roads, rivers and inland line features it just goes like: max size 20 Mb per BLN file or SBuilder gives up.... If I have an 80Mb BLN export for a given country I split it in 4 parts minumum... I just generally select a rectangular area and see if it contains about 1/4 of total for the above case...

Each part of the scenery is described in the guide... and also how it is affected by this 4x4 system... it is mandatory for coastlines, useful in lakes and may help with roads!

signature.jpg

OK, but you export a BLN for each category (I mean, a BLN for trunk roads, another BLN for motorways, one for rivers, other for canals, other for rails, etc), right? The only 20 MB BLN I've ever seen is for Brazilian rivers.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Yes, generally speaking a road type will just fit in a single file... otherwise split it!

side note, if category "trunk" has an accompaining "trunk_link" export that one too, then import both files to a single Sbuilder project (if they fit, but generally _link is a small file) ...

signature.jpg

OK. I redid all the roads, rivers and rails for South America. I saw your EURW scenery: should I copy my files to your scenery folders, or create a new folder structure for my files? In my case, your answer would mean 4 scenery areas to add to the FS9 library.

Best regards,

OK, I made some changes: I removed from Dropbox all but the excludes in the first version, and added a separate folder with all the BGLs, this time respecting the file structure you outlined. Now the roads go up to almost Nicaragua (limited with the SAME bounding box available).

Best regards,

GREAT job! since they agree with the filer structure, it will be enough to drop the new files in the existing OSM World scenery areas. I suppose that doing BGL per-area instead of per-country can speed up the process.  Will test it out right away!

If you do not have an existing scenery area you need to install all the scenery areas (10) and run the BAT file as the original release.

I am not sure about the excludes as I do not use that technique. Since OSM world is below the default files, the excludes will probably (probably, VTP has strange ways) not work... 

I'd rather move out the default files and leave FS with less to process.... with your stuff, you can already safely move out all RDxxx, UTxxx and WLxxx.

I am still working on the bloody water masks. Hopefully this week-end I will advance them a bit...

If you feel like it, you can try your hand at the landuse polygons! AndyPaul is working on Oceania still! No new comers to the project so far... :(

signature.jpg

I suppose that doing BGL per-area instead of per-country can speed up the process

+++1

The only problem with this approach is combatibility to addons that include coastlines and roads: If only one bgl per area is available the area around the addon cannot easily be turned off. I am talking about addons such as Glacier Bay, Tongass, etc.

The only problem with this approach is compatibility to add-ons that include coastlines and roads

One of my reasons for the per-country approach is this...

Also, we need to move out the default files anyway. Sure we can "exclude", but flattens by the default LWMs will just stay there... this is particularly annoying if you have a good terrain mesh (I downloaded a worldwide Free SRTM mesh from SimViation)...

Luis, your files work perfectly... I suppose that we can build excludes for additional scenery packages if we wish... however I will be more inclined to move out their LWM/VTP data and stick with OSM...

signature.jpg

Did you try flying with my newest files? For some strange reason, I can't see in FS some roads I know I included in the scenery (if someone knows Córdoba (Argentina), try finding the Circunvalación...should be there but I can't see it). Worst of all, LWMViewer2 does indeed see these roads that FS9 does not show. Is it me or just something I did wrong?

Best regards,

Yes, tested your new files!

Hi! make sure roads are on proper VTP layer. I use 8 so they run over water, although some of them are in layer 6 to obtain the opposite. Also, make sure you have VTP scenery in "coexist" mode in SBuilder! one of your files may be in the other mode, obliterating all the rest around! Really check this as when working with coastlines It seems they refuse to show in some areas... I will try and check if they re-appear removing your (nicely done) road network!

VTP roads become decently visible above 10m apparently... that is just 2 pixels across ....

signature.jpg

"Coexist" mode? Now I'm confused... How do I enable this?

Best regards,