Sign in to follow this  
Tushka

Banning babies from flights?

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should babies be banned from flying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but only from certain areas or certain flights

I am really enjoying this topic. 

It is presenting serious, as well as comical, posts.  And, it has been very civilized, so far.  As always, some are presenting their opinions as facts, but that happens a lot in all forums.

BTW, I have ordered a baby-muzzle for each of you, as suggested by Mikel in post #68.  Don't forget to sanitize between uses.

Wilson

This thread hits a nerve I will admit since I have a 20 month old and another on the way.

The problem with the rationale of banning based on age is that it could be spun as discrimination.  Additionally, where would one draw the line?  How about bus rides?  Anything over 2 hour ride?  3?  How about if dinner lasts more than an hour, should they be banned from the restaurant for screaming?  There would be no end to it... it would be circular reasoning, hence why I do not think it would ever happen, nor do I think it should ever happen. 

It sucks, I get it... hearing my own son sometimes will irritate me... but they are also the future, and I think everyone needs to understand that.  Hopefully... when today's babies are taking over the leadership roles we have now, and we are in our latter years... they do not attempt to ban 80 year olds for snoring and doing (for lack of better words) 80 year old things.

Lastly, if I ever saw someone punch a baby... it would not end well. 

I can think of many other things just as annoying as babies, that should henceforth be banned on flights:

- drunks

- loud headphones

- peanuts (I'm allergic)

- bare feet

- people who don't wear deodorant

- high school athletic teams

- newspapers

- wearing shorts

- talking to strangers

- exiting window seat at any time during flight

- raising window blind during daylight hours

- stinky food purchased in food court, brought on plane, particularly Taco Bell

- guitar cases

- farts

And lift the ban on cigarettes.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Incredible.  I have lost a varying amount of respect for several individuals based on their replies to this topic. 

I've flown long flights prior to being a parent and I can very safely say that I've witnessed far more instances of disagreeable adults than babies.  Yet, as long as that disagreeable behavior is not endangering the flight, nor is personally directed at anyone else, the proper thing to do is to tolerate it.

Just because you purchased an airplane ticket does not entitle you to retreat inside a bubble where no-one, whether infant or adult, can potentially bother you.  It doesn't automatically grant you the right to a flight without excessive sound coming from your neighbors headphones, nor someone sitting ahead of you with body odor, nor someone in front of you reclining their seat when you're wanting to use your laptop, nor a neighbor that spends the flight coughing and sneezing.  Nor indeed, a baby upset due to the unfamiliar environment.

I've taken care to use the word 'baby' or 'infant' instead of child, for that has been confused in this topic, extending the term baby to cover all children.  The fact that parents don't discipline children that misbehave is a problem that extends beyond airline flights; it is a greater problem that presents difficulties in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, movie theaters... ad infinitum.  Dealing with this issue by banning children really isn't the solution.

In the last couple of years, as a parent with a young toddler, I have taken my child on flights.  The first flight, at 6 months old, was necessitated by the passing of a family member.  It was a good enough flight I suppose, he slept the entire way, there and back.  Had he been upset, unfortunately, it would not have changed anything; we still needed to fly.  Which is what people thinking of only themselves in this topic need to remember.  They too, just as you, may have boarded that aircraft for a reason, and their reason is no less important than yours.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

my half sister who is a really good girl, with decent morals suddenly flipped out and punched a baby in a stroller during her flight today. It was a turkish airline so nobody really cared.

I think the focus of this thread should not be child free flights but why your half sister isn't in jail right now for assaulting an infant. I'm not a parent but if someone punched my baby, I would...inflict physical harm on them...

This thread hits a nerve I will admit since I have a 20 month old and another on the way.

The problem with the rationale of banning based on age is that it could be spun as discrimination.  Additionally, where would one draw the line?  How about bus rides?  Anything over 2 hour ride?  3?  How about if dinner lasts more than an hour, should they be banned from the restaurant for screaming?  There would be no end to it... it would be circular reasoning, hence why I do not think it would ever happen, nor do I think it should ever happen. 

It sucks, I get it... hearing my own son sometimes will irritate me... but they are also the future, and I think everyone needs to understand that.  Hopefully... when today's babies are taking over the leadership roles we have now, and we are in our latter years... they do not attempt to ban 80 year olds for snoring and doing (for lack of better words) 80 year old things.

Lastly, if I ever saw someone punch a baby... it would not end well. 

Discrimination is everywhere, it's not good but unfortunately also a part of society... However you migh be right that if such a practice is made then it wouldn't stop there and could extend to bus rides, restaurants, supermarket, who knows.

But is it really wrong if there was an area of the flight with let's say a few rows where children less than 12 years old are banned (such as Air Asia) where you as a family can still sit in the normal areas of the aircraft?

I can think of many other things just as annoying as babies, that should henceforth be banned on flights:

And lift the ban on cigarettes.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

If all of these (your list) annoys you off I would like to see a reality show of what happens on your next flight (although I'm sure you were joking).

I think the focus of this thread should not be child free flights but why your half sister isn't in jail right now for assaulting an infant. I'm not a parent but if someone punched my baby, I would...inflict physical harm on them...

She had a reason, having to survive without nobody in a harsh country like Belarus for the whole life and then suddenly some infant on the aircraft with parents who spoil it won't make her happy. I won't explain the whole story, but she probably got away because she was was recently turned 18 and beautiful.

If a girl punches your baby, then you would go to jail as well for assaulting her. And other passengers would probably assault you as here assaulting a young girl is the same thing.

I don't think it's right to deny people access to flights because they take their children with them. Of course it is the right of every airline to make this decision, but still I'd say there are other things that are more worth forbidding, e.g. alcoholic beverages. This is for a very simple fact - babies have no means of communicating other than crying; it may be annoying (I admitt that), but that's simply all they got. Adults on the other hand know about the effect of alcohol (and perhaps they also know that this effect can be significantly more servere in airplanes), and they have means of communicating other than yelling or being an annoyance or even a danger to others. That is why IMO people should show a bit more understanding for parents flying with their babies, and less for drunks.

That being said, I'd like to add that I would only take my baby (when I have one) only on a plane when it is absolutely necessary, but certainly not to go on holiday to some fancy location. I just think that both the baby and the passengers would be grateful for that :)

She recently turned 18 and is damaged from a bad childhood with basically nobody that cared about her, hence she was angry with spoiled toddlers.

Also, being abused doesn't excuse the abuser the from continuing the cycle of abuse. You should get your half sister some professional help for her issues instead of trying to justify her behavior, I mean am I the only one who read the OP saying a baby was punched? Also if you're 18 you're an adult and expected to comport yourself as such. 

I don't think it's right to deny people access to flights because they take their children with them. Of course it is the right of every airline to make this decision, but still I'd say there are other things that are more worth forbidding, e.g. alcoholic beverages. This is for a very simple fact - babies have no means of communicating other than crying; it may be annoying (I admitt that), but that's simply all they got. Adults on the other hand know about the effect of alcohol (and perhaps they also know that this effect can be significantly more servere in airplanes), and they have means of communicating other than yelling or being an annoyance or even a danger to others. That is why IMO people should show a bit more understanding for parents flying with their babies, and less for drunks.

That being said, I'd like to add that I would only take my baby (when I have one) only on a plane when it is absolutely necessary, but certainly not to go on holiday to some fancy location. I just think that both the baby and the passengers would be grateful for that :)

As much as I like alcohol, and can control it there is other people on the plane that cannot. And in some cases what these drunk people cause is severe. So I agree with you on banning alcohol.

That was awesome, CordoganAir.

I edited that post as I felt it crossed the line I apologize to the OP for getting out of hand.

Also, being abused doesn't excuse the abuser the from continuing the cycle of abuse. You should get your wack &@($* crazy half sister some professional help before she ends up servicing a dirty old warden for cigarettes and extra yard time in a Turkish women's prison

She is Belarusian, not turkish. And in Belarus her actions are not a problem. However you did insult a family member of mine so I do not appreciate that but won't turn it into a fight since the thread is fortunately still civilized.

You don't know living in Belarus without parents, where in many cases even orphanages are closed. It's like being in a high security prison, yes, I said that correctly. No love, not enough food, not anything. But still better than the street. But I will know how to handle her but still perfectly understand the baby situation.

Because of repeated insults on her, my patience might actually run out to the point of me never coming back to this website anymore.

Deleted since original very funny quote was removed by poster!

Funny? Yes? Well, I doubt you'll find it funny if somebody made sexual remarks about your mother or sister in "turkish" prison.

To the original poster, apologies accepted, but it was really not a funny remark and it almost made me go out of control on this thread.

Allright, well, whatever.  I think what you are doing in this thread is trawling for attention, to be completely honest.

Alright, well, whatever.  I think what you are doing in this thread is trawling for attention, to be completely honest.

###### off, then!