Sign in to follow this  
MarnoKoen

URL link expired

I can't for the life of me understand this! I now have to pay $5 to download my product again, which I paid $90 for to get in the first place? How can this be?

It's absurd and I have never heard of anything like it. I recently formatted my PC, didn't backup the B77LR for some reason and now another $5 has to be paid before I can get MY product again!?

Marno Koen

I can't for the life of me understand this! I now have to pay $5 to download my product again, which I paid $90 for to get in the first place? How can this be?

It's absurd and I have never heard of anything like it. I recently formatted my PC, didn't backup the B77LR for some reason and now another $5 has to be paid before I can get MY product again!?

Marno Koen

Yep, it's absurd, but for some reason people here on Avsim thinks it's normal. I'm afraid the only way to avoid that is to backup your files, maybe save them to a dvd or something of the sort. PMDG is the only company that does this, but as long as people continue paying $5 to download something they already bought, they have no reason to stop....

Cheers!

As Stefano said, back up your installer. But at least they're not charging you another $90.

Now onto the $5. I remember reading something about they have server or bandwith bills to pay or something. Could just be talking out my butt so take it with a grain of salt.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

As Stefano said, back up your installer. But at least they're not charging you another $90.

Now onto the $5. I remember reading something about they have server or bandwith bills to pay or something. Could just be talking out my butt so take it with a grain of salt.

If that is the justification, it's pretty pathetic.... I get unlimited bandwith on my personal website with a hosting solution that costs me $20/year, I doubt a company like pmdg has any kind of trouble with that....Besides, all the other payware companies don't do this, only PMDG....

When you downloaded the product it states that the link is only good for a certain time. Knowing that, you should have simply saved a copy of the installer on your HD, a flash drive, and or a DVD. I can see why you would be mad if PMDG didn't state that on your download link, but since it's written on the link it's no one's fault except for the user if they didn't take the time to make a backup or multiple backups.

Of course it's always easier to blame someone else for not doing what you should have done in the first place which is make a backup.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When you downloaded the product it states that the link is only good for a certain time. Knowing that, you should have simply saved a copy of the installer on your HD, a flash drive, and or a DVD. I can see why you would be mad if PMDG didn't state that on your download link, but since it's written on the link it's no one's fault except for the user if they didn't take the time to make a backup or multiple backups.

Of course it's always easier to blame someone else for not doing what you should have done in the first place which is make a backup.

Jim Burke

Couldn't have put it any better Jim.

Hi,

It's absurd and I have never heard of anything like it.

No, to me it's not. You buy an installer, not a permanent link or permanent storage for that installer.

Furthermore, if you compare with a CD/DVD you would have bought, it is the same. It is up to you to keep it in a safe place.

Would you go to a shop claiming that you have lost your DVD and asking for a free new one?

Don't get me wrong, my point is not to be aggressive, but as we are warned that the link is not permanent, we have the responsibity to back the installer up.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Couldn't have put it any better Jim.

+++1

Hi,

No, to me it's not. You buy an installer, not a permanent link or permanent storage for that installer.

Furthermore, if you compare with a CD/DVD you would have bought, it is the same. It is up to you to keep it in a safe place.

Would you go to a shop claiming that you have lost your DVD and asking for a free new one?

Don't get me wrong, my point is not to be aggressive, but as we are warned that the link is not permanent, we have the responsibity to back the installer up.

++++2

Hi,

But that's exactly the point, you are not buying a CD/DVD... You bought a digital product, you should be able to access it any time you like. They don't have the cost of producing and printing the DVD, the boxes, don't have the cost of shipping, storing, etc. But it still costs just as much as their boxed products always cost. So why shouldn't we be able to download it whenever we want?

If I were you guys I'd get my flame suit good and ready before the die-hard PMDG defenders show up!

Seems you were too late, by the time you posted they were already here!

If I were you guys I'd get my flame suit good and ready before the die-hard PMDG defenders show up!

It's not about being a PMDG defender, but about doing the right thing and putting blame where it belongs. When you purchase something and it says the link is only good for X amount of time and it's doesn't clink in your mind to make a backup or multiple then guess what, it's no one's fault but your own. Maybe the OP has learned his lesson to read what the download link page said and will take appropriate action next time.

At least this was a cheap lesson to learn as $5 is not to bad a price to pay. Some mistakes have a lot worse ramifications and cost more to fix.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't know the price of the boxed version, haven't checked that. I agree that a digital version could have a discount due to the reasons you state.

But I still disagree regarding the permanent availability of download. :wink: You have bought a product not a storage...

And there is still a difference here with the DVD exemple.

If you want a new DVD, you have to pay full price while here, you pay only 1/18 of the price to get the same product!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Superbly put, Jim. I've just built a new system from scratch and had no problems whatsoever, other than having to re-activate because I fully read the T&Cs, backed-up all my installation files, and was good to go next time around. It's common sense, as you state it, Jim, not fan-boyism.

I don't know the price of the boxed version, haven't checked that. I agree that a digital version could have a discount due to the reasons you state.

But I still disagree regarding the permanent availability of download. :wink: You have bought a product not a storage...

Please, point me to another company that sells digital goods and has the same policy... It's not about storage, they have to store their product anyway, you bought the product and you should have access to it.

It's not about being a PMDG defender, but about doing the right thing and putting blame where it belongs. When you purchase something and it says the link is only good for X amount of time and it's doesn't clink in your mind to make a backup or multiple then guess what, it's no one's fault but your own. Maybe the OP has learned his lesson to read what the download link page said and will take appropriate action next time.

At least this was a cheap lesson to learn as $5 is not to bad a price to pay. Some mistakes have a lot worse ramifications and cost more to fix.

Jim Burke

What if you make a backup, your link expires, and then the next day you have a systems crash? It's not always "no one's fault but your own'. 

And $5 isn't a steep price, but it isn't nothing either. Also, as much as I like and respect what PMDG does for the FS community, sometimes it seems like people here think they can do no wrong. I'm sure if a company like CS had this policy and PMDG didn't, people would be slamming them for being greedy. 

Of course, even though I don't like the practice it doesn't mean it will change. I'll bet anyone $5 that PMDG doesn't remove the re-download fee!  :P

Flame_Retardant_Suit_%252F_Aluminized_Fi