Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

2.3 -> 2.4 update report

Hi Mitch,

can you elaborate this a bit more in detail, please? What association does P3D v2 have to NI? Never heard this that way. Did your P3D v2 change the directory on your PC?

Spirit

Nope...what happened, was that I had v2.3 associated with a profile I created called: P3D

I had deleted PrePard3D profile awhile back.   Well, I installed this morning v2.4 and found that (later..after a few hours...) for whatever reason, PrePar3D profile was back in the line up..and THAT was what P3D.exe was associated with now..and NOT my own created P3D profile. So...when I was firing up v2.4....no custom settings that I had been using in v2.3 was in play. I then deleted P3D, and set up PrePar3D to what I wanted...and saved it.  I then went into the driver suite, and enabled Adaptive and 1/2 refresh rate, and saved that under the P3D.exe.  

I ran v2.4, and got the same great clarity I had enjoyed with v2.3.   It was that N.I. 'slight of hand' that slipped me for a loop, this morning.  It wasn't v2.4 as I had thought.  As usual...we just keep thinking on things...and work it out to a good solution.

Thanks, very good, work fine.

"There ya go...and glad to be of service"...   B)

But can we have someone on the staff explain why some of us cannot update from 2.3 to 2.4?. I had the same issue from 2.2 to 2.3.seems though the crowd having this issue are small.

Michael

Just follow my post...and you will be up and running with all your goodies, intact...just as I stated,  you only have to reinstall Global, Vector,OpenLC to overwrite once more the stock v2.4 ground and LC textures.  It's not hard...just take your time. If Shadows are not such a big deal with you...than just stay with your working v2.3.  Trust me...there are no huge performance boosts...between v.3 and v.4  You could also contact your fellow user, pincopanco, for he just used my suggested FULL INSTALL method, and could walk you through it via a PM to him....

Mitch

Thanks but since it might not be the last update maybe LM could look into it. Think i will skip 2.4 for now. What about FSGLOBALMESHFTXEDITION? Does it also needs to be reinstalled?

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I am still not happy with P3D. Flickering, shimmering and stuttering. In my humble opinion FSX looks way better on my system (Haswell with gtx 780). I guess one of the main factors is better antialiasing. Once you have gotten the sweet taste of high AA, it is hard to go back to the poor AA world of P3D. Hope better Nvidia support will be available soon 

Thanks but since it might not be the last update maybe LM could look into it. Think i will skip 2.4 for now. What about FSGLOBALMESHFTXEDITION? Does it also needs to be reinstalled?

Michael

No...as long as you do not change any part of the path, or name of your present v2.3 install. For instance, let's say you had a folder called P3Dv2.3, and then wanted to use (as you would, for my method...) that same folder for v2.4.  You might think that you could change the name of the folder to reflect the new version...NOT...for all your programs and add-ons used the original pathway and 'nameway'...to your v2.3 install.  So..in this example, you would change nothing...and keep the name of the folder as (just for this example...) P3Dv2.3. That way...all your add-ons, which would be reflected in the dll.xml file...would still reference what it needs to...along the same name pathway...   Your FS Mesh, in your Scenery Library would then be able to access where you had installed your FSGLOBALMESH...while you were running v2.3.....   Bottom line...to do the install my way..and have everything working as it should...no pathway, or changing names of anything...volumes as in C:, D:, F:, etc...., or folders....

Other than terrain shadows working now...you really are not missing out on much...no new content...just bug fixes...and maybe a few 'new scratches introduced at that!...'  :wacko:

... you only have to reinstall Global, Vector,OpenLC to overwrite once more the stock v2.4 ground and LC textures.

Mitch, is that for sure. If you consider that each of this ORBX titles has more than 3 GB texture and scenery files, how can an incremental update (100 MB) replace alltogether  more than 15 GB texture and scenery files. As I remember I had no problems with ORBX titles when I updated from 2.2->2.3. Running FTX Central (switching between regions) and FTX Vector Config should be enough I guesss. This should do the necessary replacements (terrain.cfg, ...). But better to ask the FTX gurus.

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Mitch, is that for sure.

Mitch did a full reinstall, not a update. ^_^

Mitch did a full reinstall, not a update. ^_^

Ouch. did not read through all.

mea culpa

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

"Ok...I'm about a thimble width...away from throwing v2.4 so far out the window...I won't be able to guess where it lands...."....

I simply CAN'T STAND, the sky in v2.4...it looks elongated, extruded, pulled...it looks HORRIBLE!

Nothing of this kind of visual was in v2.3.  The sky looked normal.  I don't know what is happening with this version, but if I have to give up Terrain Textures, to get a sky that looks real...and not like it's gone onto the torture rack...then, it is what it is....

I'd say that v2.4 is a serious BUST....no matter if you get it working or not...

Here is the v2.4 sky out the cockpit window. Even if you are in SPOT view...you still get this stretched, elongated horizon (like the clouds are seen in a tunnel)...and cloudscape...simply horrible....

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/QUt

Look how the clouds are pulled..distorted..and these clouds are from REX4 for goodness sakes!  They look fabulous in v2.3    I'd say that this has got to be the worst sky visual, I have ever seen to date, in any flight sim.  Totally under-whelmed.  LM..what the heck did you guys do!?!??!?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/QUz

All I can say, is thank gawd, for system image backups....tomorrow...a happy and GOOD LOOKING v2.3 baby....v2.4..."bye-bye".....

With terrain shadows on, does anyone notice slight black lines flickering every once in a while? They seem to happen near the bottom edges of the cockpit window. I am flying the Q400 fwiw. I think turning terrain shadows off might fix it but I would have to double check.

Just checked and it looks like the patch has only updated some files in the shaders folder?

What do your files look like? My cloud.fx file shows modified 27/9 which means it hasn't been overwritten. Great.

Now how to fix? Complete install? Please say no!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/QUv

Can anyone post the text from their (new) cloud.fx for comparison please?

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Just a head's up folks...

I am in the process of uninstalling (well..trying to, lol!) v2.4 from my system.  When I tried to uninstall from the full setup..I got the infamous error (This account already exists) and then the uninstall dies. If you also decide to uninstall v2.4, you first have to use the REPAIR routine...and then when that is done, you then run the UNINSTALL routine. Then...the uninstall will finish, and also reset your account as 'not installed'.  You can then run the Full Install v2.3, if that is your wish...

Ses

I guess one of the main factors is better antialiasing.

I'm running 4SGSS + FXAA on 27" Dell Ultrasharps.

Perfect.

Meets or exceeds FSX for sure.

Nvidia profile : I noticed that the nividia control panel, not the Inspector had a profile defined. What do we do with this? Was there a profile in the Nvidia control panel with v2.3? 

Regards

Bob

For anyone who didn't delete their modified cloud.fx file.....I removed mine and re-ran the patch. All updated now. Phew!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg