Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

2.3 -> 2.4 update report

Guest JustanotherPilot

Following Robs  recommendation the update went smoothly. Thanks Rob!

Product version (see p3d.exe details is 2.4.11570.0; 09/24/2014).

FSUIPC 4936c (current version) OK

ASN SP1 beta5 - does not work

ORBX Modules  OK

AS TwinOtter extd.  OK

Cheers,

Harry

ASN have released an update for 2.4

ASN have released an update for 2.4

Been out since last night

Rich Sennett

I have noticed no difference between 2.3 and 2.4. BTW, the vertical cloud anomaly has been around with ASN and P3d in versions prior to 2.4. It doesn't show up that often.

It also shows up with OPUS in 2.3 as well, but only on the odd occasion.  Haven't tried upgrading to 2.4 yet so I can't comment on that, but the condition definitely is not limited to 2.4. 

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Here's a more pronounced example:

Exactly the same issue here. Was going to post pix but yours illustrate the problem well. Yuk! Very off-putting. Hope this is fixed ASAP.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Has anybody ever seen the vertical cloud bug without using either REX textures or a 3rd party weather engine? The bug has never bothered me because I thought it was an attempt to simulate this condition:

http://www.nbnweathershots.com.au/sites/default/files/docjen/F1000024.JPG

EDIT:

Here's some better examples of true scud clouds:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+clouds&espv=2&biw=2560&bih=1315&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QacsVIO6Ncn2yQTyx4KIAQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ#tbm=isch&q=vertical+scud+clouds

I'm trying to upload a pic but can't find that free flight sim picture host? Can anyone give me the URL? Thanks!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Has anybody ever seen the vertical cloud bug without using either REX textures or a 3rd party weather engine? The bug has never bothered me because I thought it was an attempt to simulate this condition:

No but did not play with 2.4 very long to prove the theory out - but in two nights of flying I did not see this issue in 2.4 vanilla - no ASN or REX installed - now both installed and seeing it so I can honestly lay blame - I highly doubt REX would cause this

Rich Sennett

Photoscenery only = No autogen? :nea:

Correcto Amundo...

Once you go no autogen, you ain't never goin' back  :BigGrin:

EDIT:

Here's some better examples of true scud clouds:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+clouds&espv=2&biw=2560&bih=1315&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QacsVIO6Ncn2yQTyx4KIAQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ#tbm=isch&q=vertical+scud+clouds

Yes, i've seen them in a vanilla 2.4. Seen them in 2.3 and 2.2 also. I believe it's a bug that can be fixed.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

It looks like a simple logic error in the rotation matrix code in cloud.fx. I'm trying to figure out why it only affects the lowest cloud layer, though, which makes no sense. Then again, I'm not an HLSL programmer. Maybe Rob could take a look at it or ask LM what's going on. It seems like the bug is more obvious with stratus-type cloud textures, since they are thin in the Z axis. They appear to be incorrectly rotated 90 degrees.

I highly doubt REX would cause this

It might be that because REX4 allows you to pick different cloud textures before running P3d, if the lower cloud layers are more stratus-like, the bug may become more apparent.

Has anyone tried to substitute back either the 2.2 or 2.3 versions of cloud.fx?

I agree this vertical cloud on edge thing is not exclusive to v2.4. I uninstalled P3D2, deleted the P3D folder and reinstalled starting with v2.0 and so far I've patched my way back to v2.3. Deleted all the program-generated files/folders as recommended in between each version. I haven't touched a thing, haven't installed anything, haven't even adjusted any settings in the sim GUI yet. I did do the GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ); tweak in Clouds.fx because we know that was an error.

I kept the saved flight and weather file I used in the screenshot I posted earlier so I dropped those back into the Prepar3D v2 Files folder, edited the .fxml to load the Robinson R22 instead of the AgustaWestland (because I haven't ported it over from FSX yet) and loaded the flight. Flew around a bit and got this screenshot:

cloud_weirdness23.jpg

It doesn't seem quite as noticable but I think that's because I'm using default clouds (256px) and also I haven't messed with cloud coverage density or draw distance in the GUI yet. I conclude that this is just a weird weather scenario because I never saw these vertical clouds the entire time I flew v2.3 before the update, that's been over a month I think and I've used ASN a lot in that time.

Anyway, I've got a virgin v2.3 install at the moment, does anyone want me to check anything out before I apply the v2.4 patch?

Jim

To all who are sitting on the fence waiting for P3D to "mature", come out of "beta", not have "micro stutters - you are kidding yourself and missing out on a lot of enjoyment.

P3D will *never* achieve those goals because there will ALWAYS be someone who gets stutters, etc.

Have we not learned from FSX et al?  Each system is different - just because someone says they get stutters is no reason for you NOT to get P3d. Just because someone says their system runs "perfectly" is no reason for you to GET P3D.

You have  no clue how it will run on your system until you try.

I am one of those who has had no real issues either with FSX or P3D on several different systems.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes, I've seen the vertical clouds in 2.3 also ... but I can't always determine what's the cause as some flights I don't see any issues.  I had reported this issue (back in version 2.3 betas) as you can see in this video here - fast forward to the 23:37 - 23:42 mark and focus on screen center and you'll see the vertical cloud (this is the pre sprite vs. group center adjustments to the HLSL) ... trying to recall the reason given (don't think it was a cloud base, something to do with the volumize), I'll check with Wes again.

Cheers, Rob.

Agree,

But I have tried it ....it is not for me at this time the hybridised window system just causes massive scenery stutters..and this is something I am not willing to put up with.

If this software is to go forwards from FSX this should be better in performance not worse however pretty it looks.....agree differs from system to system..

It is a good sim it does look nice but when you have every thing turned to min and all AG off  and the scenery still lags micro stutters or stutter even with 30 fps or what ever people want to call it, it ruins the experience.  I run a good system...and have checked every part to ensure of any outside influence..on performance

I am pleased it works for the majority but for some of us it does not or should I say it is disappointing...well that's life ...so it is shelved for me refund requested...of course will monitor and may come back if things improve which I am sure they will... 

All the best