Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

DSR - WOW - Must See

Hello everyone, as Richard said this is all new to many of us. As I see it there is two thing you must do:

1>  settings in the nvidia control panel with P3d selected

2. setting in control panel for DSR found under the global tab 

Here is a pic of the settings for P3D. make sure you do exactly as the photo indicates. I missed one and it didn't work. The 3 things are highlighted in bold. This is important.

Run the DSR setting it to what you want.  I have found it will not eliminate the shimmering completely as least on my system but thing do look better and it is smooth.

Other can chime in here if you want. Here is the pic:

CnUX2.jpg

Hello:

Some additional info on this (..and another soon to be released ?) interesting development in PC screen display graphics technology:

http://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

BTW: I'm wondering if single-monitor HD7970 and/or R29x AMD video card users may achieve something comparable by experimenting with a AMD Catalyst driver EyeFinity mode "triple monitor profile" set at 2K or 4K resolution and then re-sizing / positioning their displayed application window(s) to fit the visible single-monitor display area ? :Idea:

GaryGB

Any Instructions for FSX users in DX10???

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The AVSIM Screen Shots Forum" to "The Prepar3d General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

@ Rich, Mitch and others

Unfortunately DSR seems not to work here.

P3Dv2.4, 24''(1920x1080 native), GTX780, 344.24 driver with modified .inf is installed on win 81 (after disabling driver signature recognition in win81 start menu).

I see those two DSR entries in NV control panel and set it to 2x and 33% smoothness then I apply the new settings. In dectop screen resolution I see now 2715x1527 can be selected. The same is true for P3D menu. Here I choose the higher setting. But I still see jaggies and shimmering. In P3D menue MSAA is set to 4x, AF is set to 8x, FXAA is off.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Harry

Just another point. Should this topic not better be placed on the P3D general forum.?

For P3D, because it only runs in windowed mode or hybrid fullscreen (still a window), you have to set your desktop resolution to the new DSR resolution option.

As far as I can tell, the resolution setting within P3D is irrelevant.

I run at DSR 4x and have MSAA at 2x and AF at 16x in the P3D menu.

If all is well, your desktop icons and borders etc will shrink.  If they don't then you have made an incorrect setting somewhere.

Daz

Simpler method here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

Simply adjusting your screen resolution by inputting customized resolutions.  Much simpler.

I've been running my 1920x1080 screen at 2560x1440 for quite some time now.  With NO impact on framerates at all.  No need for FXAA, cause there's no shimmers.  I can run at 3200x1800 as well by adjusting refresh rate to 59hz, but fonts are too small to read.

Keep in mind I'm using a Lenovo Y500 laptop with 650m card so YMMV.

This is all new to Us, most dont know exactly what to tell you including me - We just found out about it yesterday - search some non flightsim forums also

Also are you using P3D - not sure but I think this works better in P3D than in FSX as the P3D rendering system is different - someone else on the FSX side of things might want to chime in

Richard.... Might I suggest that you PM Rob Ainscough and ask him to look into your find. He is very good at this type stuff and can chat with the P3D guys. It sounds exciting but I think a bit of input from the expert would help a lot of folks here.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Excuse me but I'm not sure what the big deal is, or how this is any different than what has already been done here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

Simply adjusting your screen resolution by inputting customized resolutions.  Much simpler.

I've been running my 1920x1080 screen at 2550x1440 for quite some time now.  With NO impact on framerates at all.  No need for FXAA, cause there's no shimmers.

The image is natively rendered on the GPU at the higher resolution, it is then down sampled and smoothed before being output to your monitor at the monitor's native resolution - for me that is an LED TV at 1920 x 1080.

The algorithm used to down sample and smooth the image is 'probably' a lot better quality wise than a display's in built scaling.

Obviously the more grunt your GPU has, the higher resolution the image can be rendered before being down sampled.

Richard.... Might I suggest that you PM Rob Ainscough and ask him to look into your find. He is very good at this type stuff and can chat with the P3D guys. It sounds exciting but I think a bit of input from the expert would help a lot of folks here.

Pretty sure Hes seen this post and will chime in :)

Rich Sennett

The image is natively rendered on the GPU at the higher resolution, it is then down sampled and smoothed before being output to your monitor at the monitor's native resolution - for me that is an LED TV at 1920 x 1080.

The algorithm used to down sample and smooth the image is 'probably' a lot better quality wise than a display's in built scaling.

Obviously the more grunt your GPU has, the higher resolution the image can be rendered before being down sampled.

Entering customized resolutions will likely give the same result as instructed in the link, rather than doing some kind of convoluted .inf modding to your graphics driver.

The point of DSR is to get rid of that distant blurriness.  Well, you'll get much better result I think by adjusting the rez (customized resolutions) but you have to do that through the customized resolutions option in the graphics setup. 

Let me repeat something important:

I had been running at 1920x1080 for a long time.  When I learned how to adjust to higher resolutions, I went to 2560x1440, and even 3200x1800, and had on impact on framerate.  And I am running a lowly Lenovo Y500 laptop with 650m card.

I should probably repeat that, but...  Isn't that the point really?  We want better detail, but unless one is shown how easy it is to change, they'll never know.

The idea with P3D is to improve the overall image quality to reduce jaggies and shimmers without resorting to framerate hungry SGSSAA.

Your laptop's display will be rescaling your increased resolution to fit the native resolution of the the screen. With DSR, Nvidia have written software to do this and surely this must be of better quality than the standard scaling processes built into TVs/LCD displays etc, otherwise why did they bother?

Apparently, Nvidia's next desktop driver release will also have DSR enabled, so no need for any inf mods.

The positive effects of DSR will be more obvious on larger, resolution limited displays such as LCD TVs.

Awesome shot Richard (op)! Looks like a promotional Airbus image :)

Now I wonder, would this work with AMD. Guess not, they just released a new driver

with still the same options as usual :)

regards,

Hello everyone, as Richard said this is all new to many of us. As I see it there is two thing you must do:

1>  settings in the nvidia control panel with P3d selected

2. setting in control panel for DSR found under the global tab 

Here is a pic of the settings for P3D. make sure you do exactly as the photo indicates. I missed one and it didn't work. The 3 things are highlighted in bold. This is important.

Run the DSR setting it to what you want.  I have found it will not eliminate the shimmering completely as least on my system but thing do look better and it is smooth.

Other can chime in here if you want. Here is the pic:

CnUX2.jpg

I followed your description point for point. I chose 3840x2160 desktop resolution. Icons get very small and the text below is quite unreadable on my native 1920x1080 screen. This means the driver and DSR work correctly. Right? When I start P3D I choose 1920 resolution. And keep my other settings AF=16x MSAA=4x, FXAA off.

No effect at all, imo. Still jaggies and shimmering. I real don't understand. Compared to my former setting with 342.12 driver and SGSSAA 4x, this DSR tweak seems simply not to work.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Found it. Probably I missed one system restart. Now I see a real effect in P3Dv24. Jaggies a gone, shimmering is reduced.

But I have still two issues. One inside P3D: The fonts of the menu bar is corrupted, menu text is barely readable.

Second on normal desktop mouse cursors are way too large. For example: While I am writing this, my mouse cursor covers more than two lines in height!

Any suggestions?

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

For P3D, because it only runs in windowed mode or hybrid fullscreen (still a window), you have to set your desktop resolution to the new DSR resolution option.

As far as I can tell, the resolution setting within P3D is irrelevant.

I run at DSR 4x and have MSAA at 2x and AF at 16x in the P3D menu.

If all is well, your desktop icons and borders etc will shrink.  If they don't then you have made an incorrect setting somewhere.

Daz

Exactly!

For FSX and FS9 in full screen mode you get DSR working by choosing the new DSR resolution inside the sim.

So moving this thread to the P3D forum is misleading as this techinque applies to all our sims.

Although DSR works fine on my GTX770 Kepler card I still prefer the old MSAA + SGAA.