Sign in to follow this  
nudata

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION

After tons of researching and playing around with different settings for the past few weeks, I've finally settled on FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15, AM=14 and UsePools=0 PoolSize=10000000. I get no blurry textures whatsoever and I'm using FTX global textures and settings basically maxed out (no shadows or high detail water). My specs are GTX780/4770k.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15, AM=14 and UsePools=0 PoolSize=10000000.

For me it is:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 (also)

AM=244 (i7 (4core) with HT on)

UsePools=0 (also)

PoolSize=0 (I wonder what "10000000" might change here when Pools are off?)

I will give the "10000000" a try now to see what happens :blink: 

I thought that P3D doesn't us UsePools and PoolSize settings at all? Do these settings really make a difference?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

One thing I noticed with FFTF=0.01 is that the autogen ring becomes much obvious. It feels like P3D is struggling to keep autogen coming up far enough in pace. Also autogens now clearly "pop", so looks like the anti-pop feature is disabled. 

Nonetheless just to stress P3D to the max I flew F-18 (copied from FSX) with full afterburner at 1370knts, 100 feet above ground and the sense of speed was incredible. Amazingly P3D kept up with full autogen no problem, only textures were bit blurred but that's actually perfect since at twice the speed of sound they're not supposed to be razor sharp!

The only down side is that I burned full tank of fuel to bingo in probably five minutes, now that is expensive...

I don't think that is relevant to the FFTF tweak. The autogen pop-up has gotten pretty bad in P3D through the last two or three updates. Not quite FSX bad, but close. I am not using any tweaks at all, btw.

I don't think that is relevant to the FFTF tweak.

Na! if you push the FFTF to hard you will get missing autogen and worse popup!

UsePools=0 PoolSize=10000000.

If you're talking about P3D v2.x then these 2 entries are for nothing!!! For FSX it's ok.

Spirit

If you're talking about P3D v2.x then these 2 entries are for nothing!!! For FSX it's ok.

Spirit

Right, better to try TML instead.

I wonder if FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 and AM=14 is what's working for me because my P3D has been flawless since I added these two entries.

Apologies if someone has asked this in the thread previously, I am at work and don't have time to read all the way through.

What does the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION 0.01 tweak do in terms of hardware? Does it load the CPU? load the GPU? reduce load etc.

Reason for the question, I added it to my CFG after a fresh install of v2.4 and I had a drop in performance. The only thing I can think of is that my CPU is weedy and was not able to handle whatever the tweak does. I am planning on upgrading imminently and will try the tweak again. But I was just trying to figure out why I had a drop in performance when som many report an improvement.

Thanks

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Apologies if someone has asked this in the thread previously, I am at work and don't have time to read all the way through.

What does the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION 0.01 tweak do in terms of hardware? Does it load the CPU? load the GPU? reduce load etc.

It really has no affect at all on hardware. It is nothing more nor less than a "timing adjustment." You can read about this in your copy of the "Prepar3D Learning Center" that came with your installation of P3D. ^_^

This setting, which defaults to a value of .33 (33%), defines the percentage of each frame that is devoted to loading scenery. Increasing this number can reduce "the blurries", but it can cause stutters, and can also reduce the overall frame rate. Try reducing the number to the lowest level where you still get smooth scenery paging. This will vary depending on disk speed as well as the type of flying, as well as the selected scenery settings.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What about stuttering and panning around with a TrackIR?...Guess I'll try this again, haven't used it since 2.0 as there always seemed to be an adverse effect at some point.

If there is any problem it's sure to raise it's ugly head on surround resolutions because any effect to the rendering is exponentially harder on your system compared to a single screen...

I've had no luck solving blurries with the tweaks listed in this discussion, to me it seems the P3D LOD limitation is at fault. So I've moved back to FSX with a beautiful LOD of 7.5 and textures are so nice and crisp. I was testing with Orbx Palm Springs, the difference between P3D and FSX is like day and night. It's a shame having to go back to FSX but I couldn't fly with the blurries, the only hope is P3D will fix the LOD issue somehow.

I thought that P3D doesn't us UsePools and PoolSize settings at all? Do these settings really make a difference?

Nope.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

It seems the setting works for most people. Others may have low end hardware or heavy addon loads. A VERY rough estimate of comments seem to show that about 75% are seeing some improved performance.

I actually forgot I had set this thing and was marveling at the 30fps to 40fps I was getting with nasty ActiveX (ASN) clouds. While a lot of customers of LM have used the setting perhaps LM could look into a slider with a simple English lable to adjust this so even the most cautious can enjoy the benefits.

Regardless of the theoretical is does work for most.....

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I've tried setting my FFTF to 0.01. I do get another 10fps or so, which is nice when it would otherwise have been below 20, but autogen certainly suffers, as does the built-in GPS redraw rate. It takes several seconds to respond to changes in range etc. And I have a half-decent new system, i7 4790k with a GTX 970, SSD and plenty of RAM. I think the answer for me will be to skimp on ORBX payware airports, which are really the only ones giving me hassles with fps.