Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

FlyTampa-Copenhagen Released

Not to blame either PMDG or Fly Tamps, but I think it´s about time that developers of both sceneries and aircraft starts to consider their products VAS footprint.

Part of the problem is that we, as customers, demand more and more - more detail and higher resolution.

Problem though is that none of us will be happy with both aircraft and sceneries that drains all available VAS, just because they like to make exactly their product shine - the loosers are the customers.

Bear in mind that measuring VAS right after You loaded Your aircraft into a certain scenery, the VAS reading will not tell whether Your safe or not.

Consider starting in Dubai for a flight in Your PMDG 777 to Copenhagen.

You have a ton of mediterreranian and German addon airports installed that You will fly near.

As You fly along the route, FSX will start eating VAS. It is true that VAS might also increase as some scenery parts are unloaded.

Probelm is just that FSX is not very good at unloading everything and thus VAS usage will increase.

While You might have 500 mb VAS when freshly loaded into Copenhagen, doing flight from Dubai over serveral airports and other scenery might mean You will end up with only 300 Mb once You land in Copenhagen, maybe even less and close to the OOM treshold.

One way to help this issue is to save Your flight once Your get near Your destination and then re-load that flight, since FSX seem to unload VAS when loading a flight.

Finn Jacobsen

Yes you are right about saving when closing in on your destination, but this is not an alternative when flying mostly on VATSIM. Wothan said he had 500-600mb free VAS when using this scenery with FTX Global and NGX. I'm sorry, but we will not even get close to other payware airports like Heathrow for instance. Starting to regret I bought this.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Flytampa are amazing, I recently bought LOWW and worth every €..

However after buying UUEE and EETN from the DD sales, and UUDD on the horizon (no pun indended :) I'll be a bit short of dosh.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Yes you are right about saving when closing in on your destination, but this is not an alternative when flying mostly on VATSIM. Wothan said he had 500-600mb free VAS when using this scenery with FTX Global and NGX. I'm sorry, but we will not even get close to other payware airports like Heathrow for instance. Starting to regret I bought this.

But in answer to Finn, why do you have to have all those Mediterranean and so on airports en route active? Simply use scenery config editor to activate the origin and destination plus maybe one or two alternates to keep you covered...

You are less likely to OOM and FS loads faster in my mind as well...

A

Consider starting in Dubai for a flight in Your PMDG 777 to Copenhagen.

You have a ton of mediterreranian and German addon airports installed that You will fly near.

As You fly along the route, FSX will start eating VAS. It is true that VAS might also increase as some scenery parts are unloaded.

Probelm is just that FSX is not very good at unloading everything and thus VAS usage will increase.

While You might have 500 mb VAS when freshly loaded into Copenhagen, doing flight from Dubai over serveral airports and other scenery might mean You will end up with only 300 Mb once You land in Copenhagen, maybe even less and close to the OOM treshold.

That's why I only have the scenery activated that I use for that flight. That makes all the difference. I use Scenery Config Editor to enable and disable addon sceneries.

See http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net

But in answer to Finn, why do you have to have all those Mediterranean and so on airports en route active? Simply use scenery config editor to activate the origin and destination plus maybe one or two alternates to keep you covered...

You are less likely to OOM and FS loads faster in my mind as well...

A

I actually use scenery config editor myself, but it does not fix the main issue where both the PMFG 737 NGX and Fly Tampa EKCH has to big a VAS footprint all together.

I just finished a flight from ENGM (Oslo) to EKCH (Copenhagen) in a PMDG 737-700 NGX using ASN.

Photoreal sceneries where disabled and I never got near any other addon airport.

I started out with 1.400 Mb VAS at Aerosofts ENGM scenery.

VAS availibity and FPS stayed high (1.200 - 1.400 Mb) during the flight.

Appr. 10 nm out on the approach to EKCH RWY 04L VAS went down to 800 Mb.

After landing in decreased to 500 Mb

But taxiing into the gates it went further down to 300 Mb and then occasionally down below 200 Mb where FSUIPC warns about too low VAS remaining.

I had low clouds and rain at EKCH with ASN.

Note that I use the Low res cockpit and model for the PMDG 737 NGX.

Please note that I have made extensive experiments with VAS and scenery config editor and found that as long as photoreal sceneries are disabled and You stay out of visible sight of other addon airports (the airports model and textures are not loaded) VAS is hardly affected.

Finn Jacobsen

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

when FlyTampa will start adding GSX movable jetways.....

Do you mean the ability to move jetways with Crtl+J?

They have been offering it for quite a long time now: in LOWW, OMDB and EKCH.

I actually use scenery config editor myself, but it does not fix the main issue where both the PMFG 737 NGX and Fly Tampa EKCH has to big a VAS footprint all together.

I just finished a flight from ENGM (Oslo) to EKCH (Copenhagen) in a PMDG 737-700 NGX using ASN.

Photoreal sceneries where disabled and I never got near any other addon airport.

But taxiing into the gates it went further down to 300 Mb and then occasionally down below 200 Mb where FSUIPC warns about too low VAS remaining.

I had low clouds and rain at EKCH with ASN.

Note that I use the Low res cockpit and model for the PMDG 737 NGX.

Please note that I have made extensive experiments with VAS and scenery config editor and found that as long as photoreal sceneries are disabled and You stay out of visible sight of other addon airports (the airports model and textures are not loaded) VAS is hardly affected.

Finn Jacobsen

This is the answer I was looking for. GL making a flight to Dubai or Heathrow folks. I will mostly be flying the ENGM-EKCH route.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

A dirty way to regain som VAS is to toggle between windowed and full screen mode - ie. if You run in windowed mode -togle to full screen and then back to windowed - or vise versa if You prefer full screen mode.

What happens is that textures will be reloaded and those not used anymore seems to be trashed and moved out of the VAS pool.

I have experimented a bit with this, but is not 100% sure how much it helps. I can just see a sudden increase of available VAS doing so.

Finn Jacobsen

A dirty way to regain som VAS is to toggle between windowed and full screen mode - ie. if You run in windowed mode -togle to full screen and then back to windowed - or vise versa if You prefer full screen mode.

What happens is that textures will be reloaded and those not used anymore seems to be trashed and moved out of the VAS pool.

I have experimented a bit with this, but is not 100% sure how much it helps. I can just see a sudden increase of available VAS doing so.

Finn Jacobsen

I'm toggling back and forth all the time, haven't noticed any difference. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm toggling back and forth all the time, haven't noticed any difference. 

Try to load the PMDG 737 NGX at Gate 30 EKCH (Fly Tampa).

Then look all around slowly so that all textures in the scenery get loaded.

Look all the wayleft and to the rear, then allt he way to the right and to the rear, then up on the overhead.

VAS will now drecrease...

Looking straight forward toward the main panel for a while might regain som VAS, but still be lower than when You initially loaded the flight.

Now toggle between windowed and full screen mode and You should see VAS jump some 200-300 Mb.

This amount will probably be reduced as You start looking around.

Finn Jacobsen

Strange. I flew the NGX from Aerosoft ENBR- Aerosoft ENGM v2-FlyTampa EKCH- Aerosoft ESSA back to back without any issues the other day. Running with FTX global/Vector/openLC Europe and ASN.

Try to load the PMDG 737 NGX at Gate 30 EKCH (Fly Tampa).

Then look all around slowly so that all textures in the scenery get loaded.

Look all the wayleft and to the rear, then allt he way to the right and to the rear, then up on the overhead.

VAS will now drecrease...

Looking straight forward toward the main panel for a while might regain som VAS, but still be lower than when You initially loaded the flight.

Now toggle between windowed and full screen mode and You should see VAS jump some 200-300 Mb.

This amount will probably be reduced as You start looking around.

Finn Jacobsen

Will try that. Btw, er du norsk?  ^_^

Strange. I flew the NGX from Aerosoft ENBR- Aerosoft ENGM v2-FlyTampa EKCH- Aerosoft ESSA back to back without any issues the other day. Running with FTX global/Vector/openLC Europe and ASN.

Very strange, indeed. Do you have night environment?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Fi5kuS...

No I´m Danish :)

I have found that I can further unload some VAS by disabling all the DLL's that comes with the various Orbx Airfields (ObjectFlow). I got 18 if them btw.

I will not say that I got a problem with EKCH, but VAS might under certain circumstances become dangerously low.

Finn