Sign in to follow this  
sparkie66

so i caved on maxx fx

Going back and forth between p3d 2.4 and xplane, want to like xplane and use it as my main sim, but never quite liked the looks of it. The other day I came in on final with my a2a 182 on a cloudy day barely vfr and on top of the ever present micro stutters fps went to the teens. And something snapped, bought the maxx fx addon, installed it into xp and went flying (ct206)

Together with real terra haze, world2xp, photoscenery and skymaxx pro, maxx fx took care of the biggest gripe I had with xp. The dull looking world.

I might never have to make do with an obsolete sim again. XP is finally shaping up to be what it can be with the addons available now and what's to come.

So, if you are also torn between two sims, try out the addons listed above.

uhpM172.jpg

-Roland

Absolutely! It took a few years, but I think Xplane 10 is finally in a position to make a run at the tired old dog that is FSX/P3D. Yes I lump those two together because despite what LM has added, p3D is still rooted in 8+ year old code. I still love FSX and run it, but certainly not because of the base MS flight sim product. It is ONLY because of A2A, PMDG, REX, and Air Hauler that I ever start it up these days.

couldn't get that to connect to server. Tried localhost ip and my network ip.

You did create an account to get the beta pro version and not the lite? Made sure you had the right port selected?

Going back and forth between p3d 2.4 and xplane, want to like xplane and use it as my main sim, but never quite liked the looks of it. The other day I came in on final with my a2a 182 on a cloudy day barely vfr and on top of the ever present micro stutters fps went to the teens. And something snapped, bought the maxx fx addon, installed it into xp and went flying (ct206)

Together with real terra haze, world2xp, photoscenery and skymaxx pro, maxx fx took care of the biggest gripe I had with xp. The dull looking world.

I might never have to make do with an obsolete sim again. XP is finally shaping up to be what it can be with the addons available now and what's to come.

So, if you are also torn between two sims, try out the addons listed above.uhpM172.jpg

I got MaxFx myself and thought it done a wonderful job Making the world look great. But whilst it changes the contrast and textures of the world it also changes the cockpit textures which don't look so great. Is there a way of changing just the world textures? Maybe there is, If not personally I don't see the point.

Sky max pro is great. Real Terra haze is amazing.

Great pics.

So, if you are also torn between two sims, try out the addons listed above.

uhpM172.jpg

What settings you using for maxxfx?

Here what your saying sparkie66, I've got a foot in both sim's, what's keeping me in PD3 is A2AC182 and Opus but I always go back to X-plane

Check out this thread for a weather alternative: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/456482-xprealwx-fsrealwx/

Ive been using this for a few days now. IMO, REALLY nice weather engine for X-Plane. X-plane perhaps 60 to 70% for me with just about all Carenado aircraft. Only reason I use P3D at all is for quality aircraft not available in X-Plane.Flight dynamics So much better in X-Plane. Specially turbo props.

Absolutely! It took a few years, but I think Xplane 10 is finally in a position to make a run at the tired old dog that is FSX/P3D

I hear this a lot :-), and I think X-Plane has been in this position for a long time, just people are only just starting to realise it (users and developers alike)

What settings you using for maxxfx?

This was extra normal, but negative drab is also Nice. The default, compared to what i see irl when gliding, is just top washed out and dark. Imho.

Made sure you had the right port selected?

Is there a manual? What is the right port?

-Roland

I've been tempted to try MaxxFX but have resisted.  As a photographer, it appears to be little more than a color saturation and/or hue adjustment.  I am using their SkyMaxx and like that, so maybe I'll bite the bullet.  We do tend, these days, to see a lot of images that are unrealistically oversaturated, but if there is an intensity adjustment, it might be good to try.

One problem with many of these replacement textures is that every time you run the X-Plane Installer, they get replaced by originals.

I've been tempted to try MaxxFX but have resisted.  As a photographer, it appears to be little more than a color saturation and/or hue adjustment.  I am using their SkyMaxx and like that, so maybe I'll bite the bullet.  We do tend, these days, to see a lot of images that are unrealistically oversaturated, but if there is an intensity adjustment, it might be good to try.

One problem with many of these replacement textures is that every time you run the X-Plane Installer, they get replaced by originals.

I agree, it looks similar to those overdone "ENB" filters for FSX and other sims/games. I suppose you can tweak the MaxxFX presets to your liking, but I'm actually quite happy with just Real Terra Haze. The real world actually does look pretty dull, even from above.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

if there is an intensity adjustment, it might be good to try.

It lets you adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, hue (in a couple of different ways,) gamma, as well as vignette and noise effects. Some of the presets use custom shaders that do more than that as well.