Sign in to follow this  
FlavioSSA

First DLC soon

Good news! I have been in contact with the president of Steam Gamers Republic Gabe Newell and he has given me personal assurances that he will not be activating his elite jackboot thug casual gamer tactical squads in order to break into your home and delete your PMDG and A2A collections while doing barrel rolls in the default 747 at 3000 AGL with mouse yoke on.  :lol:

Good natured ribbing aside, I'm one of the gamers that was brought into FSX by the release of the steam edition and I can't get hardcore enough fast enough. In the 3 weeks I've had it I've probably dropped close to $500 between Realair, A2A, and Flight1. I know its the fallacy of small sample size, but I can't see how the influx of interest and money will be bad for FSX. I get the concern that maybe that money is going to shift developers interest toward more casual addons but if people like A2A have been able to make a living in their niche field up to this point, I don't see how the casuals are going to shrink the audience for what they do. And as several of said, it might end up adding a surprising number of actual enthusiasts to the fold.

I wonder whether dovetail will allow individual developers in or if it has to be some larger publisher (like Flight 1) that they are working with. 

Would love to sell some of my future stuff through Steam. 

It's not so much a question of who is allowed in, more a question of how the revenue is divided up on Steam published addons between all the "players".

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

more a question of how the revenue is divided up on Steam published addons between all the "players".

Valve takes ~30%. They never specify to the public how much exactly, of course.

Good natured ribbing aside, I'm one of the gamers that was brought into FSX by the release of the steam edition and I can't get hardcore enough fast enough. In the 3 weeks I've had it I've probably dropped close to $500 between Realair, A2A, and Flight1. I know its the fallacy of small sample size, but I can't see how the influx of interest and money will be bad for FSX. I get the concern that maybe that money is going to shift developers interest toward more casual addons but if people like A2A have been able to make a living in their niche field up to this point, I don't see how the casuals are going to shrink the audience for what they do. And as several of said, it might end up adding a surprising number of actual enthusiasts to the fold.

Welcome to AVSIM and the flight sim hobby! Enjoy your flights!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Steam is not new to the concept/model of selling sophisticated DLC add-ons to a simulator product... Look no further than the Train Simulator franchise, of which there are many DLC offerings of accurately modeled engines, etc...  Don't worry, they will come!

When i bought fsx in 2006 i too used it in an "arcade" way. Just throttle up and do loops with a 747. That´s a natural process. My interest grow and i started to use more sofisticated addons and in the process my view of the software changed from "game" to "simulator". Just give them time :)

How exactly did those loops go.....

lol

Not very well :P

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

The second DLC announced:

10896365_1544849729100610_18726686416535

I think DTG plans are a little different from ours .... :P

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Well, that is actually something I'd buy since I mostly like to fly vintage aircraft :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Curiosity and a love for vintage planes got the best of me last night.

I can look past the graphics, which obviously could be better...but the flight model is horrible. Nose heavy, max trim when using my ch yoke trim wheel is still nose down...a tail dragger that flies like a brick, has a very long takeoff distance at max fuel (which newbies won't know to adjust) and flips over forward if you brake too hard....ummmmmm

They should have worked with IRIS to release the DA-40....flies great, one engine, good for vfr.... 

I want to support DTG ...but I won't touch another dlc unless at least the flight model is quality... dlc that is hard to fly for someone who's been at it for years will just frustrate folks new to the hobby....

Too much negativity here. Less complex addons draw more users into the genre to get their feet wet.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Indeed. I believe that to get the DLCs we are used to will take some time.

(it is possible to take them tho, look at Carenado offering their planes as Steam DLCs for XPlane)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I didn't say that the lockheed 10e was not complex enough....I'm not expecting PMDG or even Carenado. As I stated, I expect that the plane's flight model is not so bad that it turns new pilots off from simming. I can find better aircraft right here in the avsim library for free. I'm saying I think what DTG is doing with the stability improvements: great ... their DLC strategy: needs to be re-thought.