Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Any AntiVirus recommendations?

Been using  mse for ages with no issues

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have used any anti-virus software on my last two FSX only rigs since 2008 and haven't had any issues since I don't browse the web with it. On my other computer that I do use for Web browsing, I've used NOD32 for years and like it a lot.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

all of the anti virus are crap. you dont need a anti virus to protect your PC, as long that your being careful what your are accessing. 

True  but  all it takes just one virus  to make your day  rather at least have mse installed than nothing at all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

MSE is just about dead last in effectiveness, I would not trust it.

What a few of us are saying here is to use a combination of Security.Essentials and Malwarebytes. Its a very effective combination that wont cripple PC performance.  Paid for anti-virus programmes tend to be overblown and come with a large dose of sales hype and intrusive pop-ups   In reality, unless a user is regularly surfing adult content sites, downloading from pirate torrent sites and opening suspicious email attachments , they will likely be a low-risk user and could, in theory, do without anti-virus altogether and instead run Malwarebytes once a week to be sure, and perhaps image their hard drive with the likes of Acronis for peace of mind. 

Its getting the balance right between threat and paranoia I guess ;-)

I have used any anti-virus software on my last two FSX only rigs since 2008 and haven't had any issues since I don't browse the web with it. On my other computer that I do use for Web browsing, I've used NOD32 for years and like it a lot.

Meant to say that I haven't used any anti-virus in my last two FSX computers.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

NONE for ages, never had any problems, I'm not using torrent sites or other malicious site, you know xxx and such!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

we'd never know we had a virus if we had no anti-virus program to detect it.

Your right  :lol:

Which one your using from that list?

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

Which one your using from that list?

I'd run Malwarebytes once a week to make sure you're clear of trojans etc....

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

(Untick the box that says "Enable 30-day trail'  when installing it)

And run this online scanner every so often as well...

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/scanner/online/free.html

Its also a good idea to run C-Cleaner beforehand to flush out temp files...

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

(Untick the 'cookies' tickbox for whatever browser you use if you want to keep online login passwords).

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Regards, Albert Miu

I have been with Avast! since 2002, I'll stick with it to the bitter end. It doesn't bother my FSX-MS at all. When I go to a bad web page, BANG! & DONE with it + a latter message that it BANGed it. No stupid Y/N question. KILL! Love it.

Note; There is no full automation antivirus. Once a month do check and do clean up. No way out of it.

Cheers,

True  but  all it takes just one virus  to make your day  rather at least have mse installed than nothing at all

Exactly, each to there own but I wouldn't see the point of building a house and then removing the doors.