Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Side by side testing FSX vs FSX-SE

You'll never get the settings to match up close enough.

You will if you use the same CFG files for FSX and FSX-SE  -- both FSX.CFG and Scenery.CFG (using full paths throughout in the latter). Also make all the SimObject paths in the FSX.CFG file full paths, pointing to the same folders. Only thing then left to do to make everything identical, APART from FSX/FSX-SE code, is to make sure the Effects, Sound and Gauges folders all contain the same files. Easy to do by copying.

This is exactly how I've been making the comparisons. My DLL.XML and EXE.XML files are also identical, just with any entry for programs not (yet) compatible with FSX-SE (like the Vimacore one for AES, and the ASN module).

Yet, even with everything forced to be the same, folks still don't believe me when I say I get better performance with FSX-SE. Folks could come here and see for themselves, but I don't know any other ways of stating this here. And now I'm being accused of promoting FSX-SE for personal gain! :-(

I'm on the point of abandoning AVSIM forums forever. they seem to attract very nasty minded people! :-(

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I'm on the point of abandoning AVSIM forums forever. they seem to attract very nasty minded people! :-(

Pete

The non believers are having a tough time because of the money and emotions poured into FSX over the years. It's kind of like someone saying your kid stole a candy bar, you just go into denial.

What they will eventually realize is that all there favorites will most likely work in FSX-SE, once they get over the dreaded lengthy "Re-install". I see a great opportunity for someone seeing a possible massive interest in flight simming and produce something new from ground up.

Edited by n4gix
Deleted excessive quote.

What they will eventually realize is that all there favorites will most likely work in FSX-SE, once they get over the dreaded lengthy "Re-install".

That's the thing, though. To move from FSX to P3D I'd almost certainly need a re-install for a lot of my stuff. I can 'fiddle' some of it, but not all.

For FSX-MS to FSX-SE, though, there so much alike that the method i stated above works well.  They are, to all intents and purposes, for almost all add-ons and add-ins, the same product! Why re-install, why not share?

Pete

You will if you use the same CFG files for FSX and FSX-SE  -- both FSX.CFG and Scenery.CFG (using full paths throughout in the latter). Also make all the SimObject paths in the FSX.CFG file full paths, pointing to the same folders. Only thing then left to do to make everything identical, APART from FSX/FSX-SE code, is to make sure the Effects, Sound and Gauges folders all contain the same files. Easy to do by copying.

This is exactly how I've been making the comparisons. My DLL.XML and EXE.XML files are also identical, just with any entry for programs not (yet) compatible with FSX-SE (like the Vimacore one for AES, and the ASN module).

Yet, even with everything forced to be the same, folks still don't believe me when I say I get better performance with FSX-SE. Folks could come here and see for themselves, but I don't know any other ways of stating this here. And now I'm being accused of promoting FSX-SE for personal gain! :-(

Pete

Pete, since I have a dual install with FSX-SE on separate HD, would all I have to do to install FTX Global and FTX scenery is copy and paste from FSX Scenery.cfg to FSX-SE scenery.cfg and the same for my dll.xml to FSX-SE dll.xml file making sure that all changes pointing to my FSX, whcih is located on C drive?  I hope I interpreted your statement above correctly. 

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pete, since I have a dual install with FSX-SE on separate HD, would all I have to do to install FTX Global and FTX scenery is copy and paste from FSX Scenery.cfg to FSX-SE scenery.cfg and the same for my dll.xml to FSX-SE dll.xml file making sure that all changes pointing to my FSX, whcih is located on C drive?  I hope I interpreted you statement above correctly. 

Not quite like that, because many scenery installs also install stuff into the base FS "World" scenery and other places.

Since DTG have not changed any of the basic default scenery files, all you need to do is go through your FSX scenery.cfg file, changes EVERY single scenery path listed there (and I do mean all of them) with the full path. In my case this was a matter of preceding each with just "E:\FSX\", because that's where they all are. I did this using a "search and replace" option in a decent text editor (I use UEDIT32), so it was but a few seconds work.

As for DLL.XML, I am reasonably sure that FTX global doesn't use any in-app DLLs listed in there. I may be wrong and haven't noticed that. But it would be easy enough to add the appropriate entry with the full path to wherever the DLL is in FSX. I would be wary of copying the DLL.XML over as it is without first checking that all of the modules are compatible with FSX-SE -- those concerned with AES and ASN will not be, yet.

For FSDreamTeam stuff, and GSX,, you can download the latest Addon Manager and install that in FSX then run it again and instal it in FSX-SE.

Oh, one other thing. your World scenery file in FSX will also include any AI traffic files you've installed. For those to work as intended, the SimObjects folders containing the AI aircraft need to be the same too. I accomplish that by making the paths in the SimObjects list in the FSX-SE CFG file point to the FSX ones. If you do this for "airplanes" your aircraft will also be shared -- but then you'll also need to make sure your Effects, Gauges and Sound folders contain everything the same. That'll cause problems for PMDG aircraft and others not yet compatible with FSX--SE, but should be okay if you don't try to load them.

I don't really have any aircraft-related problems as I use cockpitless special Prosim737 models for my rig.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete for this information. I plan to print out your info and study it more closely to see if I have the brain power to give it a try.  I figured it would not be as easy as I stated.  I have all my payware airplanes  moved to SE with no problem, which included changes to the SE dll.xml for several.  Several payware aiports are now in SE by going into my FSX-se scenery library and pointing to the C drive where the scenery is located, which worked and saved many gigabites. The only one I would like to now move over if possible is the FTX Global.  There are no items for Global in the FSX-dll.xml that I saw however, there are several items required for many of orbx's airports for the object flow.

By the way on my over 3 year old computer I have seen a remarkable improvement with FSX-SE.

Regards,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

You will if you use the same CFG files for FSX and FSX-SE

Pete,

I was referring to a SE comparison to P3D. I don't doubt that you are seeing an improvement with your set-up and never have.

I was referring to a SE comparison to P3D.

Ah, sorry. Yes, definitely more difficult to compare it with P3D. But so far P3D performs worse for me than FSX (even with the latter in DX9 mode), and with less installed, and doesn't look good. I keep trying each successive version. Maybe 2.5 will look good! ;-)

Pete

Now lets hope PMDG updates are right around the corner 

That corner just turned...the update is out!  You'll need to pull the full install off your PMDG account login.  I just did it, servers seem fine.

Can't wait to get it loaded (and FSX:SE, which I purposely held off installing until the PMDG 777 worked with it) :smile: 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Login page down here but Im getting a largish update in the OPS centre

ZORAN

That corner just turned...the update is out!  You'll need to pull the full install off your PMDG account login.  I just did it, servers seem fine.

Can't wait to get it loaded (and FSX:SE, which I purposely held off installing until the PMDG 777 worked with it) :smile:

Great, thanks for the heads up! But what If you purchased say the NGX at the aerosoft shop?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

So I did a side by side comparison of FSX and FSX:SE using the PMDG 777-300ER.

Both the same config file. Clean only major difference is that I set the LOD at 10.5(Crazy I know).

Heres the test senario: KPHL @ gate A21(the first heavy gate on the list), same real world weather, just sitting there(NO FLIGHT).

On FSX SE: The highest VAS I saw was 2.6-2.8 GBs

On FSX:Boxed: The highest VAS I saw was 3.1-3.2 GBs

So I did a side by side comparison of FSX and FSX:SE using the PMDG 777-300ER.

Both the same config file. Clean only major difference is that I set the LOD at 10.5(Crazy I know).

Heres the test senario: KPHL @ gate A21(the first heavy gate on the list), same real world weather, just sitting there(NO FLIGHT).

On FSX SE: The highest VAS I saw was 2.6-2.8 GBs

On FSX:Boxed: The highest VAS I saw was 3.1-3.2 GBs

Thanks for sharing, but why on earth would you set LOD to 10.5? Did you apply this for both FSE:SE and FSX as well?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I've been hunting around trying to find out what doesn't work with FSX-SE on a machine that doesn't have FSX-Boxed on it (I'd do the uninstall of my boxed).  Is there any list of what doesn't work on in that scenario or does it all work?  I have PMDG, RealAir, Carenado, FSUIPC, ASN, REX, VoxATC, ORBX, FlightBeam, LatinVFR..pretty typical stuff.  The VAS improvements would easily be enough for me to change over.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM