Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Side by side testing FSX vs FSX-SE

When I landed my vas was 3.8gb.

My hope is that, when you leave the miami area, that it frees up the VAS from Miami.  That's where it seems FSX was wasting the VAS the most...holding onto scenery you left a half-hour behind you.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I flew from FSDT KIAH to LatinVFR KMIA V2 with Drzwecki Miami City in the 777 on the Miami vatsim event yesterday and made it will no problems using the same settings I posted in the video. When I landed my vas was 3.8gb. Granted I would never fly with such high settings my that was just a test to see how would it do and it did pretty good

Flying VATSIM suggests your Ai was at zero. if that was the case then increasing it would surely cause a OOM. 3.8 is dangerously close to the limit and I imagine the FSUIPC klaxon was sounding.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guys I never paid that much attention to VAS burning off in FSX so I dont know if its normal so heres an example.

Taxing to the runway at aerosoft PANC over ORBX in the pmdg777 and high settings all around I climbed out at Vas 3600k. This used to be instant OOM back at the gate so Im happy and now one hour into cruise VAS is 3250k so is the burn off an FSX-SE thing only?

still falling..3183k

ZORAN

Flying VATSIM suggests your Ai was at zero. if that was the case then increasing it would surely cause a OOM. 3.8 is dangerously close to the limit and I imagine the FSUIPC klaxon was sounding.

Acutually quite the opposite. This even was called mega miami. 3 Airports participated flying into Miami. KIAH, MCO and ATL. Over 200 arrivals. Just a few pics of my departure from KIAH

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8yd5od9g6bir233/2015-1-24_19-12-51-290.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/oz2ft96t413lm14/2015-1-24_19-34-8-207.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/a164f8v02t61mvd/2015-1-24_19-24-12-989.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3c1zvb291j7ql7l/2015-1-24_19-26-50-867.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/4nb0fziz4a4uclz/2015-1-24_19-25-0-184.jpg

Acutually quite the opposite. This even was called mega miami. 3 Airports participated flying into Miami. KIAH, MCO and ATL. Over 200 arrivals. Just a few pics of my departure from KIAH

It looks like you had a lot of fun!!

This all sounds very promising and very interesting. Is it worth me jumping over to SE now I wonder? You seem I only got into FSX a year ago and have just now optimized my set up with dozens of add ons, controller settings, a cockpit build, tweaks to aircraft cfg files, etc... And have a reliable smooth running sim in DX10.

Should I wait a while and wait for developer to update their add ons for SE?

I,d hate to reinstall of of this stuff, only to find a crucial bit of software isn't compatible.....

This all sounds very promising and very interesting. Is it worth me jumping over to SE now I wonder? You seem I only got into FSX a year ago and have just now optimized my set up with dozens of add ons, controller settings, a cockpit build, tweaks to aircraft cfg files, etc... And have a reliable smooth running sim in DX10.

Should I wait a while and wait for developer to update their add ons for SE?

I,d hate to reinstall of of this stuff, only to find a crucial bit of software isn't compatible.....

If you haven't had problems with VAS in the past, then I don't see much reason to switch over now. I've had issues with VAS with the boxed version of FSX, so I've switched over. It's running pretty good, although the terrain.dll/g3d.dll CTD issues are back (may be FTX Global related).

If you haven't had problems with VAS in the past, then I don't see much reason to switch over now.

+1

Ernest Pergrem

It's encouraging you flew that route without OOMs. I'm in no hurry to switch because 1) ASN is still not compatible and 2) neither is FSLab's Concorde-X.

I'm grateful there are pioneers like yourself who are doing such valuable work for the rest of us. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

And the level of Ai makes a difference too. Do you use a traffic package?

Ray,

I use a large self-compiled package with between 80 and 100 airlines in it - bit of a chore to keep it updated ... Can't remember the FSX %-setting, but Heathrow is packed to the brim when I load up. I haven't installed FSX-SE either, mostly because I'm spending more and more time in X-Plane these days, but that's an entirely different story.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Thanks Soren. Sounds like you're using World of Ai. I've never tried that so comparison is difficult. But until such time as FSLabs make Concorde-X compatible with SE this is just a learning exercise for me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You will if you use the same CFG files for FSX and FSX-SE  -- both FSX.CFG and Scenery.CFG (using full paths throughout in the latter). Also make all the SimObject paths in the FSX.CFG file full paths, pointing to the same folders. Only thing then left to do to make everything identical, APART from FSX/FSX-SE code, is to make sure the Effects, Sound and Gauges folders all contain the same files. Easy to do by copying.

This is exactly how I've been making the comparisons. My DLL.XML and EXE.XML files are also identical, just with any entry for programs not (yet) compatible with FSX-SE (like the Vimacore one for AES, and the ASN module).

Yet, even with everything forced to be the same, folks still don't believe me when I say I get better performance with FSX-SE. Folks could come here and see for themselves, but I don't know any other ways of stating this here. And now I'm being accused of promoting FSX-SE for personal gain! :-(

I'm on the point of abandoning AVSIM forums forever. they seem to attract very nasty minded people! :-(

Pete

Pete a lot of old timers are floating around here with the good old spirit ;-)

André

Pete a lot of old timers are floating around here with the good old spirit ;-)

Yes, I've recovered from my shock at one person's attack. Thanks.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Here is a more detailed test that I did and I'm very impressed