Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Side by side testing FSX vs FSX-SE

You know in DX10 apart from enabling all shadows inc VC you can also enable bloom both in the sim and in the fixer for no real loss of frames. Whilst its not ENB it does a good job of capturing light and looks good in clouds as well

ZORAN

You know in DX10 apart from enabling all shadows inc VC you can also enable bloom both in the sim and in the fixer for no real loss of frames. Whilst its not ENB it does a good job of capturing light and looks good in clouds as well

99% of what I use it for is antialiasing.  It can do a lot with light and I know a lot of folks are doing that but, as you say the Fixer can do some stuff there.  And there's SweetFX and Shade too.  I hope that, at some point, SweetFX will add better antialiasing.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thanks for that link, Sean. Asked for it in an earlier post.

I posted the video I did on FB and got strong resistance lol. A few of the naysayers asked me to post a video of fsx box with the same settings.

I even challenged anyone to do the same thing in fsx with the same settings without running oom and I would buy them any addon they wanted.

devgrp

That's our fickle FSX community for you. Even if you delivered Nirvana, they'd still not be satisfied. You only have to refer the posts whenever PMDG brings out a new aircraft.

You win some, you lose some.

ENB Series. It does antialiasing and lighting affects that people use to enhance games.

Thanks. I don't have ENB so that's not an issue.

Go here https://stevesfsxana....wordpress.com/ its at the top of the page for purchase.

Thanks. I tried DX10 Preview and lost all the textures on my aircraft. Not surprising as it's a tweaked PMDG737-800 from FS9. I'll need to consider things before I make a decision about DX10.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread about SE performance.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Julian

Hope it's not too late to reach you. Which FSX.cfg? The FSX-MS fsx.cfg or the FSX-SE fsx.cfg? I had it there in the Steam folder yesterday but deleted it as per another thread in the Steam Forums, re-started FSX-SE but have not seen the FSX-SE fsx.cfg back again.

SE one Rick. Have you got both installed, Box and SE ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Morning Julian

Yes, have boxed Gold and SE installed, but on different drives.

And guess what?Once again, 2 hours remaining to landing at CYYZ from a trans-Atlantic flight, I get that terrain.dll CTD. So much for the so-called 'fix' touted in Steam's Forums. If somebody does not find a solution to this, soon, it could be a game-killer like OOM was. What an utter waste of time!!

Going to go back to your suggestion earlier.

Back up dll.xml and exe.xml and fsx.cfg. Go into your stem app and go to view....game details.......right click fsx....properties....... click tab Local Files...select Verify integrity of game cache....put kettle on

Which FSX?The FSX within that \steamapps\common\FSX or the desktop icon? I've looked at both and cannot see the tab for Local Files. I must be doing something wrong. Can you PM me the screenshots, Julian ?

Morning Julian

Yes, have boxed Gold and SE installed, but on different drives.

And guess what?Once again, 2 hours remaining to landing at CYYZ from a trans-Atlantic flight, I get that terrain.dll CTD. So much for the so-called 'fix' touted in Steam's Forums. If somebody does not find a solution to this, soon, it could be a game-killer like OOM was. What an utter waste of time!!

Going to go back to your suggestion earlier.

Which FSX?The FSX within that \steamapps\common\FSX or the desktop icon? I've looked at both and cannot see the tab for Local Files. I must be doing something wrong. Can you PM me the screenshots, Julian ?

Going to test tomorrow as I have to head off to work soon. So will use the same settings I used for the box version and see what happens.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

In that case I'm wondering why more people don't make the switch. Is there a downside to it? Can FSX still run in windowed mode?

Actually there are downsides... I purchased the fixer and don't use it.  The most obvious to me are the changes to anti-aliasing with DX10.  With DX9, I use 2x SGSS (along with 8xS) in Nvidia Inspector... with DX10, it takes 4X SGSS with a slight loss in performance to approach the same AA visuals (and even then, it still doesn't look as good).  In addition, on my system at least, the frames are not as smooth.

No not in widows explorer. Steam application, which will be in you notifications on your task bar, or an icon on your desktop. My steam runs when windows starts

Actually there are downsides... I purchased the fixer and don't use it.  The most obvious to me are the changes to anti-aliasing with DX10.  With DX9, I use 2x SGSS (along with 8xS) in Nvidia Inspector... with DX10, it takes 4X SGSS with a slight loss in performance to approach the same AA visuals (and even then, it still doesn't look as good).  In addition, on my system at least, the frames are not as smooth.

Cannot say I experience that at all. Depends on your hardware I suppose. And settings. I have no flickering, and is butter smooth.

No not in widows explorer. Steam application, which will be in you notifications on your task bar, or an icon on your desktop. My steam runs when windows starts

Cannot say I experience that at all. Depends on your hardware I suppose. And settings. I have no flickering, and is butter smooth.

Hi Julian. I thought you'd be far too busy at work?

Okay, found it, got it, did it. Thanks Amigo. Have a nice day.

Yeah, I could not stay on for the World Cup in WA. Would have been taxing people's hospitality.

Will try the saved flight again to CYYZ tomorrow and report back.

Hi Julian. I thought you'd be far too busy at work?

Only gone lunchtime here, start soon though. Let me know how it goes, cheers my friend