Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] NGX SP1d

Not a request, but just curious if split scimitar winglets have been considered in any future service packs for the NGX. I understand this would involve some minor FDE updates though, so perhaps it's a bigger project than is worth the effort. On that note I suppose it could be left unchanged with the written understanding of that, similar to the 747-8 update only being a model/FDE update and nothing more.

As much as i would Love to see this, It wouldn't happen as the 737NG does not have Split Scimitar Winglets, the Future 737MAX will, however. Adding them to the 737NG would be unrealistic, and would break the immersion and realistic states of these aircraft, now if PMDG did a 737Max in the future, you can expect those Split Scimitar winglets, as well as the newer engines and upgraded flight avionics.

-Robert Millington

Robert, please inform yourself when you say such things. 

Here is the 737NG with SSW:

image.axd_.jpeg

6hqs5t.jpg

TUIfly%2520Nordic%2520737-800%2520SSWL%2

Philipp Schwaegerl

Robert, please inform yourself when you say such things. 

Here is the 737NG with SSW:

image.axd_.jpeg

6hqs5t.jpg

TUIfly%2520Nordic%2520737-800%2520SSWL%2

Okay, first off - Last i knew that winglet was a very new development from boeing and was specifically designated for the Max, secondly - Kinda happy to see em putting them on the NG's - though somewhere in my head i think these aren't really the same winglets the Max is gonna be getting, but very similar. I mean, there has to be a reason why the max isn't gonna be flying till 2017 lol. Overall, I do stand corrected.

-Robert Millington

Okay, first off - Last i knew that winglet was a very new development from boeing and was specifically designated for the Max, secondly - Kinda happy to see em putting them on the NG's - though somewhere in my head i think these aren't really the same winglets the Max is gonna be getting, but very similar. I mean, there has to be a reason why the max isn't gonna be flying till 2017 lol. Overall, I do stand corrected.

-Robert Millington

Yes, I too was a bit surprised after seeing them at my favourite aircraft. :)

But I find the Split Scimitar Winglets on the NG very nice. I can't express myself in english, because I don't know how to find the right words, but in germany we would say: "It makes the airplane looking mature"

Philipp Schwaegerl

Hi Kyle,

Uhm, I'm really sorry to keep buggin' you about this (last time I ask, I promise!) ... Could you share your ENB setting? :)

If anything, could you maybe send it to me to my email address? andgron@gmail.com ... 

Again, thanks alot for this! 

Regards,

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

[The ENB link was active for about 24 hours and was then taken down to minimize the impact on my personal hosting. If you missed out, heckle one of the other people in this thread for it.]

Kyle Rodgers

This is the first time that I have seen those split scimitar winglets, and frankly I am not very impressed. The existing winglets look a lot better. If PMDG do decide to add them, I sincerely hope that they do it after I have purchased the P3D version, and that there will be an option to stick with the existing ones after any future updates are released.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

This is the first time that I have seen those split scimitar winglets, and frankly I am not very impressed. The existing winglets look a lot better. If PMDG do decide to add them, I sincerely hope that they do it after I have purchased the P3D version, and that there will be an option to stick with the existing ones after any future updates are released.

I agree, im not a fan on winglets in general when it comes to looks. Boeing's raked wingtips (777, 787 etc.) look a lot better. But airlines don't care about looks, they care about efficiency. 

I agree, im not a fan on winglets in general when it comes to looks. Boeing's raked wingtips (777, 787 etc.) look a lot better. But airlines don't care about looks, they care about efficiency. 

Actually the raked wingtips are very efficient. The split scimitar winglets however give a considerably shorter wingspan. If you look at the P-8 Poseidon (essentially 737-800 with -900 wings and lots of other small differences) it uses raked wingtips. This wouldn't work so well for airlines because apparently a 737 with raked wingtips would not fit in some of the current parking positions worldwide side-by-side with another one, and the split-scimitar are close enough on fuel burn they went with that option.

A little background, the split-scimitar winglet was actually designed by Aviation Partners, Inc. (As were the original 737/757/767 winglets). For a long time they were an after-market option and now are integrated into the initial factory-built aircraft. Boeing now works in conjunction with Aviation Partners. The split-scimitar winglets on the NG are a kit that adds to the existing winglets. The 737 MAX will have a slightly different winglet design where it's not an additional kit but an entirely redesigned winglet that is slightly more efficient.

Can't speak for international carriers, but United is a HUGE customer for this and is retrofitting all of the 737NGs. Alaska Airlines is another customer with the same plan.

Southwest is adding them to all the -800s as well, not sure about the -700s though. With the shorter average sector lengths, perhaps the numbers aren't as enticing.

-John Luis

I do mean to be a jerk but here it goes.  

If you can't afford 50 dollars,  I mean really can't spare 50 dollars  you should be doing other things besides simming..... Like working a second job.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Whilst I fully understand the NGX SP1d is in all probability a 'tweaked' NGX with the WX Radar & that this thread is not a support ticket for the NGX v2.0 it would be nice to see PMDG model the CABIN ALTITUDE & TAKEOFF CONFIG warning lights (as already mentioned earlier & functioning correctly functioning! ) on the FWD Panel for the NGX v2.0

In addition, it would be nice to see the alternative Thrust Mode Display(s) as shown in the images below & a simulation of the Aspirated TAT & an option to hide/show the Fuel Flow indications on the Upper DU:

hoi6WwQ.jpg

8HnjCwR.jpg

Note that 'R-TO' does not indicate the type of reduced takeoff. The N1 limit may be reduced due to the entry of an assumed temperature, a takeoff thrust derate or a combination of both assumed temperature and takeoff thrust derate.  In the same way 'R-CLB' indicates a reduced climb, this could be a reduced thrust climb similar in rating to CLB-1 or CLB-2.

The Aspirated TAT Option showing 'dashed lines' as the FMS is not computing any Thrust Limit until the OAT is manually entered into LSK1L on the N1 Limit Page of the CDU:

tI1MfEK.jpg?1

Support ticket submitted some time ago on these subjects, these options are actually chosen by several of the worlds largest NG operators. 

Would be nice to see them included in NGX v2.0

Regards.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'