Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

P3D Hotfix posted

Well said, Greg. LM's mission is to provide the best platform they can. It is up to the developer to make their product compatible with THAT platform - not the other way around.

I shudder to think of the posts that will follow the release of a 64bit P3D when most add-ons will not work.

ASN has already stated they have the fix internally so it should be available soon.

Patience.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Could not have said it better myself, Greg.   Thx LM for such a quick response.  Hotfix is working fine for me.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Well said, Greg. LM's mission is to provide the best platform they can. It is up to the developer to make their product compatible with THAT platform - not the other way around.

I shudder to think of the posts that will follow the release of a 64bit P3D when most add-ons will not work.

ASN has already stated they have the fix internally so it should be available soon.

Patience.

Vic

Well said guys. I have just decided on spending time on my other hobby for a couple of days. I find that sticking sharp hot objects under my fingernails serves to put these flight sim updates in proper perspective and is much less painful!! :Silly:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

When you hook directly into a program's memory instead of an interface like simconnect this is the result. That was ok for FSX because the main .exe never changed so it was easy to hack. With P3D this isn't such a great idea because anytime the .exe changes the addons need to be changed and pointed to the new memory address to hook into. Not really the best way IMO , especially with 64 bit on the horizon. I think devs need to move away from this practice or if they can't access what they need through a proper interface ask LM. This is the very same reason MS made simconnect in the first place.

In my opinion I believe is worthy to first have a stable platform and then install the addons..I was having wired flashing triangles that after the fix are NOT there any more...yes without ASN is not the same is just not realistic but first we have to run the "BASE" perfect so everything else should run smudgy...Good job LM...and yes I am missing my ASN but I know it will be back soon...'(ORBX global ,regions USA  running perfect) I am trying Fsdream airports...not going so far

Pedro 

When you hook directly into a program's memory instead of an interface like simconnect this is the result ...what they need through a proper interface....

Doesn't SimConnect/SimObject do this?

Just my opinion

Pedro 

....and Fsdream airports running perfect)

how did you manage, is there a new addon manager for the 25+hotfix?

FYI, I haven't tested this HotFix at all prior to release nor post release.  If the Prepar3D.exe and/or other key DLLs have been changed then any 3rd party products that bind/reference those will most likely need updating.

Anyone know if the Orbx ObjectFlow.DLL is ok with the HotFix?

My PC build is done, OS installed, now it's OC testing for optimal performance and stability.  So I have no simulators currently operational.

Cheers, Rob.

how did you manage, is there a new addon manager for the 25+hotfix?

negative FSdream not going .....FSUIPC detecting new version of P3D.......

Pedro

When you hook directly into a program's memory instead of an interface like simconnect this is the result. That was ok for FSX because the main .exe never changed so it was easy to hack. With P3D this isn't such a great idea because anytime the .exe changes the addons need to be changed and pointed to the new memory address to hook into. Not really the best way IMO , especially with 64 bit on the horizon. I think devs need to move away from this practice or if they can't access what they need through a proper interface ask LM. This is the very same reason MS made simconnect in the first place.

In theory a nice idea. In practice it doesn't work. The problem is that the FSX engine is OLD and OUTDATED. Meaning - there is NO way for ASN to produce the effects without linking directly to the code. LM can do NOTHING unless the do a complete REWRITE of the FSX (ESP) engine.

Sooner or later LM will have a solid base platform and many of these issues will go away.

If you want the quality and accuracy of ASN, there currently is no other way to accomplish this.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Doesn't SimConnect/SimObject do this?

SimConnect should be the way that various add ons communicate with the sim, but this type of connection also limits how creative a developer can get with modifying the base sim's behavior. For example, ASN uses SimConnect, but it also uses it's own DLL in addition, to add functionality. I really don't see that this is any different than people relying on FSUIPC for additional functionality. The FSX (and most of the P3d) code base is very old by technology standards, so to push the envelope, this is the trade off. You want bells and whistles? Then expect to have your sim only partially functional for a few days or more until 3rd party developers catch up.

The same types of problems are showing up with FSX-SE as DTG keeps making minor updates. If you notice, Pete Dowson has already posted a beta of FSUIPC that is designed to work with the beta version of FSX-SE (build 62609) that is presently in testing:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

When that FSX-SE automatic update occurs, which unlike P3d's update which is voluntary. some add-ons will probably fail there also. VRS has already warned its users that its combat product TacPack may not work with the next update to FSX-SE.

Not complaining too much as I have just about every FSDT airport and use ASN exclusively for weather...just that lately it seems I spend more time updating, patching reinstalling then actually getting in any flying :P

Exactly, Steve. The same goes for developers who are going to spend most of their time for just upgrades for a growing number of platforms: Prepar3d2, Prepar3d2-64, FSX:SE, Dovetail Flight II or whatever it will be called. Add the resources for uploading, announcing, keeping users informed, this will leave little resources for actual development of features.

Not a bright perspective, I would say.

Best regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

SimConnect should be the way that various add ons communicate with the sim, but this type of connection also limits how creative a developer can get with modifying the base sim's behavior.

That is very true, especially for FSX which has not been developed since Acceleration/SP2. However, PreparD is still under development and developers are going to have to accept that their add-ons may not continue to work as Prepar3D releases new versions.  That is a problem that developers are going to have have to live with - especial if a 64-bit version of Prepar3d is released..

The same goes for developers who are going to spend most of their time for just upgrades for a growing number of platforms: Prepar3d2, Prepar3d2-64, FSX:SE

And some people wonder why XP10 is not supported by more developers. The present array of FSX "compatible" sims is already a major headache to them.