Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Which single engine is best for me?

I know there have been many posts however, I am not interested in something as in depth as the A2A products right now. I usually fly pmdg NGX and Turbine Duke but I want something to fly around low and slow that I can just jump in do a quick checklist, start and depart. I'd fly it in regions like Pacific Northwest and Tennessee/North Carolina Appalachians and maybe SoCal. 

I want something quicker than a C172 I believe maybe a C182, C206, C210, but not too quick to where I can't enjoy the scenery. 

I am eyeing Carenado aircraft but I am not sure if it would be better to stick with the Prepar3d default Carenado Bonanza, Lionheart Mooney Acclaim, or if there is a better payware option in this class of aircraft?

Open to any suggestions of your favorites, I'm open to just about anything but a tail dragger!

A real bargain is the  (older, but still great)  RealAir SF260.

It has a bubble canopy, and great flight model.

Bert

I like the fact that the Lancair has the GNS integration. I was considering buying it for the Turbine Duke but now I'd have two uses for it. How are the sounds and flight model, as awesome as the Duke?

The Legacy is in the same quality category as the TDuke.

It is a bit more of a handful to fly than the SF260, which is meant as an advanced trainer, but if you can handle the TDuke, you should be fine.

Just a thought... if you own the V2 version of the TDuke, you can equip it with a Flight1 GTN70 which is the newer, and much improved Garmin GPS.   I would not recommend buying a GNS unit at this stage, unless you fly a real airplane which is equipped with one, and you want to use the same unit.

For your "low and slow" mission,  I would still recommend the SF260,  which can be equipped with a GTN popup for navigation..

Or, if you are looking for a fast single with a native GTN in the panel, the a2a C182 would be your best bet.

Bert

Bert I think that Flight1 should pay you some sort of commission! B)

James McLees

The Realair Legacy is my favorite GA airplane for flight simulation. This includes FSX and XP10. The SF260 was my previous favorite. I just haven't reloaded it for the new system. I'd get home from flying the real RV6 with bubble canopy and constant speed prop, and that SF 260 just felt right, as a very convincing sim plane. I had flown the real SF260 also.

Can anyone comment on Alabeo single engine aircraft vs Carenado? I am considering buying one.

Can anyone comment on Alabeo single engine aircraft vs Carenado? I am considering buying one.

Very few of the Alabeos have autopilots.  Sometimes when I'm up sightseeing I like to click on the AP and just look around.  The Legacy is great for sightseeing but it's fast.  Also, a lot of the single engines with low wings really hinder my views so I'll usually look for a high-wing or the Carenado PA-46 Malibu Mirage which has a nice view even with the low wing...a good airplane, though, not great.  A high-wing tail-dragger bush plane would be my ideal...if someone is aware of one that has sufficient speed. 

EDIT:  to add, I do own the C210 and once you apply a tiny fix to the cfg file it's good...probably one of Carenado's best. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've been flying Alabeo's C207 Skywagon on FSEconomy....Nice model, autopilot, and it handles well. I've enjoyed it, my first and only (so far) Alabeo purchase.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Just throwing this in there...

If you really want to get serious about sightseeing, get a helicopter.  You'll see things in the scenery you didn't even know existed and have a great (and frustrating) time relearning to fly.  I have the Milviz 407 and they've got several others and it has been a great way to explore Orbx sceneries.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just throwing this in there...

If you really want to get serious about sightseeing, get a helicopter.  You'll see things in the scenery you didn't even know existed and have a great (and frustrating) time relearning to fly.  I have the Milviz 407 and they've got several others and it has been a great way to explore Orbx sceneries.

I can stand behind this recommendation.  Helicopters are great for sight seeing, since you can easily dip down and really check out any bit of scenery you wish. 

The Bell 47 from Flysimware is actually one of my favorites for sightseeing due to the awesome visibility it provides.  Not sure if I can recommend it properly though, since I've heavily modified the FDE for it and I can't recall now in what areas I felt the stock FDE was lacking. :blush:

Any of those single engine aircraft recommendations are more than valid too; keep in mind that you shouldn't let the realism present in the A2A offerings put you off, they all have 'no damage' and 'instant start' switches.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Low wings let you see the world 'out there' a little better, the wings don't block distant views, you don't loose sight of the runway in the pattern.  You can get great scenery views from the Legacy's bubble canopy.   High Wings are great for looking as scenery right below you.     Highwing side windows typically require you to lean down a little to see out.  I think RealAir's old Scout/Citabria is still one of the best highwing sight seeing planes being tandem high wing.  

Don't discount the A2A singles either.  If you like the complexity of the NGX and flying realistically, the A2A Cherokee/182/172 is as good as it gets.  The Cherokee is very easy to fly, and quite forgiving of new pilots.  It does however force you to raise your flying standards if you really want to fly it well.  There is no reason you can't enjoy sightseeing while flying a realistic airplane like that.  Heck you can even enjoy sightseeing from a warbird.

Cheers

TJ 

I second or third the comments about the helicopters being the thing for sightseeing. I only have one in FSX, the Dodo, but I've heard it offers the best rotary flight experience in FSX, by far, so I can't bring myself to get any others. I highly recommend it. I also hear there is a brand new version of the Dodo in the works. The counter-argument against it, is that even though it is pretty straightforward systems wise, it can be really frustrating with the hand-eye coordination to fly a helicopter at first, and takes lots and lots of practice. But that's what makes it fun and rewarding to master, right? :)

Low wings let you see the world 'out there' a little better, the wings don't block distant views, you don't loose sight of the runway in the pattern

I agree. My favorite aircraft in my hanger for sight seeing (and well, for everything) is a low wing job: the DA20 by Marcel Felde.  The huge bubble canopy, low dash, and slender wings make for excellent vision, and it's slow enough to be able to get a good look at everything.  However, it's also likely the most involved (within FSX) when it comes to walk-arounds and maintenance in a small GA aircraft, so I'd have trouble recommending it to the OP since it sounds like in-depth isn't desired.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.