Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Are expectations of Carenado too high for this community?

I only wish I had found this conversation a few weeks ago.  I bought three aircraft from them, based on the exceptional look of the aircraft but also out of ignorance for the stability and accuracy of the control systems.  The CT206 seems to do ok, but I get less frames with it over the default, and that is understandable BUT with other aircraft, it brings my sim to it's knees.  Never again will I pay big bucks for their aircraft when the only thing driving the sales is the look and not the function.  I hear a lot of folks complaints, mine included but the real question now is, who are the alternatives for GA aircraft, aside from A2A?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I think therein lies the problem. We're ALL spoiled by the likes of PMDG (which has come up through the years and wasn't always top notch. re. B1900D), but when you look at their development cycle of YEARS before they produce a single plane, Carenado has done more releases for people to enjoy. Carenado is like documentation: when it's good, it's really good, when it's not, it's better than nothing.

No, this is categorically NOT the problem.  Quality is a range, not a binary.  The choices aren't PMDG quality and level of depth or trash.  There is a niche that Carenado can (and in fact in my opinion has in the past) fit in quite nicely - they're simply no longer doing it as they've attempted to move to more complex aircraft.  They're trying to model more complex systems - and failing.  Simple as that.  I quite like several of their simpler steam-gauged planes and in fact the 337 still ranks as one of my favorites.  Perfect?  No.  But good enough and a lot of fun?  Definitely.

The problem is, Carenado's newer releases don't meet the bar they themselves have set.

Scott

I would agree with Scott..  Carenado's ambitions seem to have outrun their ability to deliver.

Their simpler planes, even recent planes like the Seneca, are actually great to fly..

I do not know if Carenado does not have access to the expertise, or if it is budget considerations that keep them from perfecting their aircraft.

Bert

I would agree with Scott..  Carenado's ambitions seem to have outrun their ability to deliver.

Their simpler planes, even recent planes like the Seneca, are actually great to fly..

I do not know if Carenado does not have access to the expertise, or if it is budget considerations that keep them from perfecting their aircraft.

Looking at hawker textures they are not capable of doing quality work. It's unheard for UV map in a commercial product to have different sized sides in a symmetrical object to the point of not aligning. It proves they use very cheap UV making solutions together with seriously under qualified staff. I am talking basics of 3D here not something advanced in any way. 

All you have to do is look closer and you will see that the plane is not aligning in many places.

Plain UGLY.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I'm not sure myself Bert but I do know this:  I'm starting to fly some great leisure routes around the PNW in my PMDG 777...imagine it, flying this big bird around the San Juan islands.  :lol:

At the very least, I get eye candy with realism as I crash. 

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Remember that FSX comes with a whole bunch of default aircraft that everyone used to fly before the VCs and better flight models came out. And I think that most of us would agree that the Carenado stuff is better that those aircraft. I flew the FSX Mooney all over the place, perfectly happy, until the 3dr party guys started making them better and better. I bought the Grand Caravan EX because I was looking for that specific aircraft and Carenado seemed to be the only game in town (I'm still looking for a better model), and I guess it works good enough to keep it on my machine. But it soured me on any future Carenado products. And I can get much better aircraft for what I paid for the Caravan - just under $50 USD.

I have to admit that I did buy another plane from their sister company Alabeo, the PA-38 Tomahawk. This time it was for sentimental reasons, as it was the aircraft that I learned to fly in, from first flight to solo to X-countries to being signed off for my SEL license. And (once again), it was the only PA-38 I could find that seemed worth the money. Well, after "fixing" it with 3rd-party solutions, it flies okay. And once in awhile, I take it out for a spin around the local patch. But it hardly beats the default FSX fleet, so...

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'm not sure myself Bert but I do know this:  I'm starting to fly some great leisure routes around the PNW in my PMDG 777...imagine it, flying this big bird around the San Juan islands.  :lol:

At the very least, I get eye candy with realism as I crash. 

-Jim

Jim, we need to get you into your own "personal airplane"... what about a nice Bonanza  B)

Bert

Jim, we need to get you into your own "personal airplane"... what about a nice Bonanza  B)

Bert,

If you're buy'n, I'm fly'n! :D

-Jim

Remember that FSX comes with a whole bunch of default aircraft that everyone used to fly before the VCs and better flight models came out. And I think that most of us would agree that the Carenado stuff is better that those aircraft. I flew the FSX Mooney all over the place, perfectly happy, until the 3dr party guys started making them better and better. I bought the Grand Caravan EX because I was looking for that specific aircraft and Carenado seemed to be the only game in town (I'm still looking for a better model), and I guess it works good enough to keep it on my machine.

I too, got the Carenado Mooney, and it was better than the default Mooney, and then I got the Bonanza, and the C337, and the Baron, and the PropJet, and the C90 etc...  Somewhere along that path, they stopped measuring up to my expectations.

The early 3d gauges were disappointing, the glass gauges ditto, and the G1000s were a total disaster... The RXP integration sometimes worked, sometimes not, ditto for the various autopilots... I'd say they bit off a lot more than they could chew..  Sophisticated avionics like the G1000 or Proline21are a specialty field, and systems that do not work properly, to me at least, are unacceptable.   "Lite" sure, but malfunctioning, sorry no, off my system.

Having said that, I fly their Bonanza, the C337, the Seneca, and frankly the GTN equipped Hawker, with great pleasure!

Bert,

If you're buy'n, I'm fly'n! :D

-Jim

Well, I'm not buying, but in today's market, if you do not own the a2a Comanche, or the RealAir TDuke V2, or Legacy, you are missing out on some really nice GA personal airplanes.

Bert

I buy FS products based on what  I read in the forums from those who's expectations match mine. And with that said, Carenado products don't fit the bill for me. I'm looking for in depth FDE and systems modeling (  with consequences for misuse) first and  foremost. Nice graphics help.  Would rather not even spend $10 on something I'll never use. But that's just me. To each their own.

After buying the Real Air Turbine Duke, I've been spoiled. I am getting ready to add the GTN 750 for it, and then it will probably be the only GA I fly. If you don't have it, get it. And it's only $36 USD, even for the P3D version!

And if anyone reading this thread knows where I can get a really decent C-208 Caravan, with avionics that work (or that I can add the GTN 750 to), please let me know. I asked in the Carenado forum if I could add the GTN 750 to the Caravan and haven't heard back from them yet.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

After buying the Real Air Turbine Duke, I've been spoiled. I am getting ready to add the GTN 750 for it, and then it will probably be the only GA I fly. If you don't have it, get it. And it's only $36 USD, even for the P3D version!

I agree that the Turbine Duke V2 is a fantastic airplane.

Everything is right about it... except that it does not have a lot of "personality"..

I know that Rob Young will kill me over that comment, but part of the fun of GA flying is being in your own personal aircraft, a bit like being in your very own car, vs a rental, however nice.

If you have not got it yet, have a look at the a2a Comanche.. it is brilliant and has lots of personality..   :rolleyes:

Bert

@JSMR - Another Jon_aus?  How many accounts Jon_aus do you have?  I removed your ability to post for a few weeks because of your trolling and now you show up again with another name.  Okay, JSMR is no longer active.  I remind you that AVSIM does not allow multiple accounts.  Let me know if you have anymore.

NowTheRuddFlyer is no longer active.  Another Jon_aus who just tried to sign up again with a new name - TheRuddFlyer.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've purchased a lot of Carenado products over the years, and thought that they began to find their niche when they started to produce great looking, 3D steam gauge, prop driven, simple aircraft at a price point around $25 to $29.  For the past few years, it seems that the desire to carve out a market share in world of the big players in the market of more complex aircraft, or more accurate systems (A2A, RealAir, etc.) has taken their focus away from what they were beginning to be really good at.  Although I have been disappointed with the majority of their complex releases (most of which have been forever "mothballed" in my archives, I believe that there is still a potentially strong market available for Carenado, if they would regain their focus and return to their true niche (and price point).

I did purchase their Navajo, and admit that I enjoy flying it (even with the bugs) for short island-hopping trips, but if I want to do some longer distance cross-country or IFR work in a twin, I revert to the RealAir Turbine Duke (or single-engine IFR in the A2A C-182).  The Navajo will likely be my last purchase from them at the current price point, however, if they would turn their efforts towards an updated Cessna 152, or throw in a Cherokee 140 Cruiser from the late 1970's, an updated Mooney or any similar GA aircraft, at the sub-$30 price point, I will gladly continue purchasing from them (and Alabeo).  Sometimes, I still enjoy a quick "kick the tires and go" VFR flight, and their single-engine aircraft were always good for that purpose.

Gerald

no need to fret over the high prices--just buy around xmas when they're on sale and save 30-50%.

then no need to feel ripped off paying the same as a2a a/c.  i have 2 carenados: 337 and malibu mirage, both simple props with rxp530, bought during xmas sale--no guilt.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS