Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Well, count me into the v3.0 'club'...is the water warm?

My final Xmas gift to myself...more out of curiosity, than anything else..lol  Curiosity just doesn't kill the cat...it also does a number on the wallet as well, lol!

I guess, sooner than later...it is what it is...now I'll see for myself what all the v.3.0 performance VAS/smoothness hub-bub is about... 

Orbx has enough basic platform stuff ready to go...so that was also my shove-in-the-back this morning...

I know that v3.1 is coming...so perhaps I'll just install v3.0...and get familiar with the new features and lay-of-the-land. I'll seriously start loading v3.1 up, with the Orbx goodies when that gets released.  So...call me Joe Avatar....as i walk around (I guess better than Orbx 'bob'...) perhaps Friday Harbor, and see what's what with v3.0....

Cheers,

Yeah..inevitable...just....er...inevitable....

Ses

the water is warm but looks terrible.....no animation  :dance:  :P  FSX has the best default clouds/water.

• Upvote 2

the water is warm but looks terrible.....no animation  :dance:  :P  FSX has the best default clouds/water.

Well..that's alright...for I was content with my current v2.4...so the VAS and frame smoothness will be welcome.  FSX is going nowhere...EVER off my hard drive...same for FS9. :)

I'm soliciting yours and other's opinions on...can you get away with running v3.0 off of a USB 3.1 Superspeed outboard hard drive?  Was just wondering...would it be fast enough to load in textures, etc?  That would save me from also getting a new inboard drive right now. I want to keep v2.4 around until I decide that v3.0 really is worth the cost to purchase, using v2.4 as my base for keeping, or refund.

According to LM, 3.1 will be out this year, and I doubt they're gearing towards a Dec. 31th release. If you ask me, I would wait a few more days and make a fresh start with 3.1

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

According to LM, 3.1 will be out this year, and I doubt they're gearing towards a Dec. 31th release. If you ask me, I would wait a few more days and make a fresh start with 3.1

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael...but curiosity is just killing me as i type this...as  you can just delete it...and then reapply your license to v3.1...I'm going to go for it..but only will mess with the sim itself, until v3.1 shows up.  I have room on my v2.4 Velociraptor hard drive, but for a dedicated installation...perhaps I might get another Velop down the road.  It would be great though, if I could install on my WD 4TB USB 3.1 drive...but I guess that rotation speed and USB hub throughput could be a problem to smooth FPS...but...I dunno...I have never installed a flight sim to an outboard drive. Has anybody, reading this?  Is it doable? 

As I did with v2, I got a refund.  I eventually re-purchased v2 and that's what I'm sticking with for now.  I cannot and did not see the justification of $60 for bug fixes and hardly any framerate increase on my rig.  I fact, I don't think I saw any fps increase.

So for now, it seemed like a waste of $60, and I'm a little disappointed that they even charged a price for it.  I may revisit v3 in the future when there seems to be a justification for basically purchasing a brand new sim.  With that $60, you could keep using v2 (which is perfectly fine) and then download DCS World 2.0 and buy the Nevada map, and save $10...  Now you have 2 brand new sims, instead of 2 of the same.

As I did with v2, I got a refund.  I eventually re-purchased v2 and that's what I'm sticking with for now.  I cannot and did not see the justification of $60 for bug fixes and hardly any framerate increase on my rig.  I fact, I don't think I saw any fps increase.

So for now, it seemed like a waste of $60, and I'm a little disappointed that they even charged a price for it.  I may revisit v3 in the future when there seems to be a justification for basically purchasing a brand new sim.  With that $60, you could keep using v2 (which is perfectly fine) and then download DCS World 2.0 and buy the Nevada map, and save $10...  Now you have 2 brand new sims, instead of 2 of the same.

It just finished installing, so...I'm about to reboot the system and defrag.  For myself...while I was happy with v2.4...didn't even go to v2.5... I didn't want to be orphaned behind...and honestly, with the refund policy...it was a no-brainer that I was going to see for myself, the keep, or refund route. Today's the day...(rubbing hands together) let's see what this baby can do....for my mind and expectations are open for business!

Doesn't have much else going for it. ;)

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yes you have to applaud LM for having such a great refund policy.  That was why I went or P3Dv3 as well.  But in the end it's not enough right now.

I for one is now firmly in P3Dv3 land.  Finally after years and much money down the drain, I can see a future in a decent sim platform that can deliver performance with sufficient eye candies.  On the same hardware, I saw a consistent 50% improvement in framerate and no stutters.  I have not touched the cfg file at all.  I can see myself staying at v3 for at least a while and finally I can spend more time flying and not dealing with scenery and tweaking.

• Upvote 2

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I for one is now firmly in P3Dv3 land.  Finally after years and much money down the drain, I can see a future in a decent sim platform that can deliver performance with sufficient eye candies.  On the same hardware, I saw a consistent 50% improvement in framerate and no stutters.  I have not touched the cfg file at all.  I can see myself staying at v3 for at least a while and finally I can spend more time flying and not dealing with scenery and tweaking.

This sounds really, really nice!

So with version 3 there's not a single thing you need to modify or add to prepar3d.cfg for best results?

Richard Åsberg

Yes you have to applaud LM for having such a great refund policy.  That was why I went or P3Dv3 as well.  But in the end it's not enough right now.

So you went for a refund?

I just installed ORBX Global, and am finishing off installing PNW.

I hope this makes things better.

I agree with everybody...water sucks worse than even v2.4, no matter on High, or Ultra.  No animation...looks like flat 'fixed' water surface.

One thing I would say, as you said you needed to defrag says your on a HDD, one thing I would advise you do is get a good SSD and put p3d on that.

Adam

Does REX 4 Direct not load into v3.0?  When I run the configuration, it only shows for FSX and P3D v2.4...any suggestions?

Just changed v2.4 in mask, to install in v3.0...seems to work.

One thing I would say, as you said you needed to defrag says your on a HDD, one thing I would advise you do is get a good SSD and put p3d on that.

Thanks for the advice.  Getting about the same FPS as v2.4, so no loss on that topic.