Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

I suspect they applied some sort of color correction in Photoshop. Really would look better without it IMO.

Don't know if it's been adjusted via Photoshop, it looks to be just a little too aggressive on the HDR (look at the excessive blue in the fuselage/wings) and atmospheric scattering effects ... hopefully that gets dialed back and hopefully it's bound to weather.

I'm going to assume "Flight School" is more about testing the waters and getting something out the door ... has anyone ever NOT been able to just fire up FSX, P3D, XP10 and hit the throttle and take off and just fly around?  Even with PMDG aircraft I can do this ... point being current crop of simulators are simple to "just fly" ... or if the user desires they can make it very complex to fly (end user choice).

Hoping DTG can provide some better screenshots in the coming weeks for their initial Flight School product.

Most likely it's the effects of using DX11 vs 9 or 10. such as tessellation

More likely HDR and implementation of atmospheric scatters (or some type of adjustments to haze) ... tessellation is not a fit for sky/haze ... it's primarily used on terrain, buildings to give depth/shape at a more granular level (tessellation increases geometry).

Cheers, Rob.

Please do another one with MSFlight if you are able to. I`m pretty sure it will match more accurate ;)

Unfortunately, due to the lack of pause/slew in Flight, getting one even remotely close would be pretty difficult.

Brandon Filer

I'm going to assume "Flight School" is more about testing the waters and getting something out the door ... has anyone ever NOT been able to just fire up FSX, P3D, XP10 and hit the throttle and take off and just fly around?  Even with PMDG aircraft I can do this ... point being current crop of simulators are simple to "just fly" ... or if the user desires they can make it very complex to fly (end user choice).

Sure, but there's actually a market for those who would like some kind of direction in the form of interactive lessons. There has been a huge influx of newcomers who have picked up FSX for cheap, and ask for resources to learn the fundamentals of pilotage. Instead of pointing them to x and y, I think DTG plans to take a hands on approach and make lessons that are interactive and fun for the newcomer.

Actually, I have a feeling those Air Alaska fellows who do those great fun missions will be heavily involved in the flight school component.

Sure, but there's actually a market for those who would like some kind of direction in the form of interactive lessons. There has been a huge influx of newcomers who have picked up FSX for cheap, and ask for resources to learn the fundamentals of pilotage. Instead of pointing them to x and y, I think DTG plans to take a hands on approach and make lessons that are interactive and fun for the newcomer.

FSX already has this built in right out of the box.

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Yeah, and so did FS2000, but they want something a little more new.

I have never found lessons in previous versions of MSFS (or any other flight simulator for that matter) to be anywhere near good enough for the novice. They need to be interactive, step-by-step, and allow the user plenty of time to think and act.

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have never found lessons in previous versions of MSFS (or any other flight simulator for that matter) to be anywhere near good enough for the novice. They need to be interactive, step-by-step, and allow the user plenty of time to think and act.

We want to make it clear that although Flight School is an accurate simulation of the experience of learning to fly, it is intended for entertainment purposes only and is not a real-life training tool. 

How did we go about understanding what that experience felt like? We sent the development team for flight lessons is the simple answer. 

How does this translate in Flight School? Well, in most existing flight simulators when you tackle the tutorials you are faced with a series of instructions or text boxes saying click this, do that and so forth. While these maybe functional they are very early 2000s in their approach. In flight school we have put an instructor in the cockpit with you and they will guide you through the various lessons just like a real instructor would. I guess the best way of describing it is that we wanted to put the human experience back into flight simulation. We want you to be the pilot not feel like you are the aircraft. 

- Martin

Sounds familiar.......

So definitely not based on the flight engine. Hmmmmmm..... It leaves me to suspect something fun, but not in any way groundbreaking. Or in other words, I expect to have to still look elsewhere for a truly next gen experience, if this turns out to be FSX with the bestest coat of lipstick ever.

On the other hand, third parties should be happy if they have to do less retooling for something completely out of left field.

Tune in at the end of the year!  :p0504:

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm sure Dovetail has done market studies about this and they see a market for flight school,I'm just happy we get a real sim too, Looking forward to seeing how this pans out,then there is AeroflyFS2 if this turns out to be a dud

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

So definitely not based on the flight engine

Why is this though?  Why not Flight?  i find it odd

I suspect it was just easier and less labor intensive (and expensive?) in the end for them to update FSX rather than to complete FLIGHT. 

Not a problem if they can match FLIGHTS efficiency. What I do wonder is that if it's another version of FSX with yet another coat of paint (however pretty) they might have problems coaxing longtime FSX users to switch unless there's some really tasty hook.

64bit and better performance vs Starting their collections all over again from scratch?

Hmmmmm... It should be interesting.

Perhaps like before with FS9, we will enter the era of the stubborn FSX holdouts!  :smile:

(or not)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Will wait and see.

As for now though all of this sounds good and as so very often when it comes down to news regarding an overhaul of a current flightsim or the release of a new flightsim or engine, it also - again - sounds "promising".

So i remain optimistic but will wait and see how it will be looking like and working once it is released!

:smile:

As far as stopping any current or future purchases for P3D, Xplane, DCS ... no way, why would anyone do that on something that can't be used or abused yet?  Sorta like saying I'm not going to buy any gas for the next year because gas prices might go down.

I was one of those saying this a few minutes after reading the DTG press release, enthousiastic as I was about it. To me this DTG FS will be the actual successor to MS FSX. Although I'm a Prepar3D user now I've never been really comfortable with the fact I'm funding a military contractor, so I'm glad there will be an FSX based simulator built by a gaming company. I am very positive about the upcoming DTG FS and based on this press release I'm quite sure it will be my sim of choice and therefore I am inclined to stop purchasing new addons for Prepar3D. Every euro I spend now can't be spent on a new DTG FS addon, or a conversion of an existing addon to the new sim. And I am on a limited budget.

Besides that I have so many addons installed that I have not used even once that I can enjoy a lot of sim time until the release of DTG FS at the end of the year. Then I can make a comparison between the new sim and what I already have and decide where my money will go from that point on.

On a sidenote, when Orbx releases their North American landclass I probably won't be able to contain myself and will purchase it on the day of release  :Big Grin:

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

So, are DTG Flight School and DTG Flight Simulator for Windows 10 exclusively?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If so, I'm out. Sticking with Win 7 until I get a new computer.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!