Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

We are all flying in 'slow motion'

I am happy with the progress of P3d but the one thing that really upsets me was highlighted when I was on the jumpseat on a 757 yesterday.

Speed..

Now. When you're flying and looking out of the side window as a passenger, you don't often get a perseption of how fast you're going as there is nothing to reference until it's shooting past the window..

On the flightdeck, a different matter.

When I am flying through clouds on the sim the whole moving picture is about 4 or 5 times slower than it would be in real life.

Is there ANYTHING that can be done to change this? Or, why is this happening?

Please see link below to help support

• Upvote 1

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Hi,

Wonder if P3D3's inability to get clouds moving at different rates, such as clouds in jet streams and what not are the issue. As far as speed, the speed looks fine during landing and takeoffs so I would assume it's the clouds that are in slow motion.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I would venture that it is partly down to the mixture of "3D" clouds and 2 dimensional sprites that are constantly facing the viewpoint in the sim. Because they swing around to stay facing you, the edges of the sprites move unnaturally and this detracts from the sense of speed. That and the fact that clouds fade out relatively far from the viewpoint as you fly through them.

• Upvote 1

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I would venture that it is partly down to the mixture of "3D" clouds and 2 dimensional sprites that are constantly facing the viewpoint in the sim. Because they swing around to stay facing you, the edges of the sprites move unnaturally and this detracts from the sense of speed. That and the fact that clouds fade out relatively far from the viewpoint as you fly through them.

With that in mind, it means that p3d could potentially fix this?

Alex Ridge

I'm presuming you're comparing with your actual experience of being there, not with that video, which looks like it's shot on a GoPro. Naturally that's going to look a lot faster than real life due to the distorted perspective.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I'm presuming you're comparing with your actual experience of being there, not with that video, which looks like it's shot on a GoPro. Naturally that's going to look a lot faster than real life due to the distorted perspective.

I'm presuming that you read my post? I was on a 757 jumpseat.

The go pro video does a good job at showing what is seen. There is a major disparity between flight sim and real life at speed perception

Alex Ridge

I agree exactly with what you are saying, and wish there was a fix or tweak.  It's funny, when I see a youtube video of FSX/P3D and they do a fast forward section to save time, that's when the movement actually looks correct with clouds whizzing by.

Not sure if it's zoom, aspect ratio, cloud design like mentioned above or what, but I agree, when flying, things just seem to move slower than real life at 1x time rate.

And yes, I too am a RW pilot, so not just going off a GoPro etc.

Haven't had time to mess around much with other PC flight sims these past couple years, do any of them do it better?  DCS for example, be curious how it compares at similar airspeeds.

Good post.

It does somewhat have to do with zoom , if you have wideview enabled try zooming back to .3 and it looks like you moving faster cause the stuff at the edges is streched. The more you zoom in towards 1.0 the slower things appear to move. It's because the image you see on screen is flattened instead of a 3d bubble of perception 

In other words you would better get the sense of motion if you had a dome with an aspect corrected view encompassing your whole view.

edit : there was a user named Denali that was working on something similar for this in P3D, not sure if it's still alive or not.

One more thing. When I was in a 737 simulator that had a projection screen in front of the cockpit that encompased your whole field of view suddenly it changed your perception and you "felt" the motion and it seemed real....their sim was running on FSX. Hard to describe until you experience it.

It does somewhat have to do with zoom , if you have wideview enabled try zooming back to .3 and it looks like you moving faster cause the stuff at the edges is streched. The more you zoom in towards 1.0 the slower things appear to move. It's because the image you see on screen is flattened instead of a 3d bubble of perception 

In other words you would better get the sense of motion if you had a dome with an aspect corrected view encompassing your whole view.

edit : there was a user named Denali that was working on something similar for this in P3D, not sure if it's still alive or not.

One more thing. When I was in a 737 simulator that had a projection screen in front of the cockpit that encompased your whole field of view suddenly it changed your perception and you "felt" the motion and it seemed real....their sim was running on FSX. Hard to describe until you experience it.

Hmm, this makes me wonder, if using a Rift or Vive VR headset, I wonder how the "speed" feels?  I haven't had the luck to try one out yet.

I agree exactly with what you are saying, and wish there was a fix or tweak.  It's funny, when I see a youtube video of FSX/P3D and they do a fast forward section to save time, that's when the movement actually looks correct with clouds whizzing by.

Not sure if it's zoom, aspect ratio, cloud design like mentioned above or what, but I agree, when flying, things just seem to move slower than real life at 1x time rate.

And yes, I too am a RW pilot, so not just going off a GoPro etc.

Haven't had time to mess around much with other PC flight sims these past couple years, do any of them do it better?  DCS for example, be curious how it compares at similar airspeeds.

Good post.

Definetely I think it's something to do with the zoom. I just zoomed out to .30 and everything looked a lot faster. Really such a difference. 

I wonder if we can compromise somehow and have a .95 zoom in the sim whilst getting the speed at .4

Alex Ridge

I'm presuming that you read my post? I was on a 757 jumpseat.

Well yes, that's why I said 'I'm presuming you're comparing with your actual experience of being there'. The GoPro does not show what you see - at its most conservative, a GoPro will approximate a conventional wide angle lens (28mm), which is going to exaggerate speed and distance. At its worst, it will show a 12-15mm 'fish-eye' lens (35mm format equivalent).

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

What I wonder since I haven't seen it yet either is your perception with a VR headset will it aspect correct the video automatically? All I know is when another guy was flying this sim and he nosed down I about fell over it makes that much of a difference. It was still FSX and all I can say is it's all in the presentation. All they had were projectors and a big white wall. Can't remember if they used warping software or not.

Uploaded to youtube, it's hard to get the feel from this but this is what I was flying.

I think it's because the flightsim clouds lack depth - they look real from a distance but aloft they look flat, hard to tell the size and shape of them... Because they are sprites like someone said.

In that video you could sense the depth... Emerging from a soft blanket - different colors and different light/dark areas in the cloud tops

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Definetely I think it's something to do with the zoom. I just zoomed out to .30 and everything looked a lot faster. Really such a difference. 

I wonder if we can compromise somehow and have a .95 zoom in the sim whilst getting the speed at .4

This exactly why I just have gone yesterday with Ultra widescreen and not the 4K route the best purchase I have done in years:-)

Watch AI passing by in the sim the speed is there ;-) but not with clouds...

Also the cloud base isn't real 3d combination of several factors which contribute to the "slow" feeling.

André

True never seen clouds like that in FSX or P3d. I think it's more a cloud depiction problem in the sim.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.