Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What kinds of routes did the MD-11 fly?

After I get comfortable with flying again I want to bring my PMDG MD-11 out of the hangar but I want to use semi realistic routes, what it would have done for passengers. I'm not above doing a UPS or FED EX flight.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't know much passengerwise, but I know that cargo MD11s have done MEM-EWR (and back), MEM ANC, Guan Dong, and several others. I think Flight Aware can help with more (current) MD11 routes.

Good luck! 

Swissair used it for their longhaul network out of Zurich (LSZH) to: BOS, JFK, YYZ, YUL, ATL, LAX, SFO. Also to Narita, Bangkok, Singapore, Johannesburg and Sao Paulo.

For a quick training flight we used to do Geneva to Zurich.

Have fun! I just took it for a spin from BKK to SYD. Unfortunately not a former scheduled flight ;)

Thanks, so the same routes that might have been done by a 747 or a 737?  This used to be my favorite aircraft to fly (the PMDG version, not in real life) though I've long since forgotten how to fly it, it's been years now

md11 was still used by KLM on the Montreal Amsterdam route not so long ago. It was at the time one of my favorite sim bird and it was a pity to see it retired.

MD-11 services to/from Australia

American - Los Angeles to Sydney

Thai - Bangkok to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne then Melbourne to Bangkok

Malaysian- Kuala Lumpur to Perth

I am sure Alitalia ran a MD-11 from Rome to Sydney and Melbourne via (I think, it was a long time ago) Singapore. I do remember it was AZ1763 outbound Australia back to Rome (1762 inbound) and it was twice a week (leaving Sydney on to Melbourne, then back to Rome via ??? on Tuesday and Saturday). It used to leave Melbourne around 1600L.

I was a very junior burger in those days so always worked on the weekend, and being Sydney based at the time, often followed it down to Melbourne.

The Thai MD-11 used to come down at least on Friday and Sunday nights (arriving into Melbourne from Sydney around 2230L (Thai Inter 985).

Sorry cannot remember the call sign / flight no. of the MH and AA services.

All of the above circa very early 1990's.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, so the same routes that might have been done by a 747 or a 737?  This used to be my favorite aircraft to fly (the PMDG version, not in real life) though I've long since forgotten how to fly it, it's been years now

The MD-11, or rather the DC-10, was conceived for medium-haul, high-density routes. If I remember correctly, American Airlines (or another airline) issued a Request for Proposal asking for a wide-body airliner capable of departing from shorter runways such as New York's La Guardia and fly coast to coast. Lockheed also came in to fill this gap with their L-1011.

If you want to fly short-haul with a heavy, just have a look at Japanese routes. They employ 747's for 1 hour flights regularly.