Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

HTC Vive vs Rift VR for P3D?

I am a beta tester for Flyinside.  The newly released 1.6 is super stable release.  There are no VR timeouts like the 1.52 had.  Leapmotion has better support in 1.6 (Try it, I don't have leapmotion but I hear 1.6 has more support).  When you are in Flyinside settings click on resolution and choose 3840x2374.  That will enable it to have 4K resolution.  And then you can play with Nvidia Inspector to enhance AA to Prepar3d.  The controls in my pmdg 777 are almost super sharp.

thanks for this but I reverted back to 1.52 because leapmotion i could not set the mcp properly and the pop up + - sign came in front of the mcp so i did not know what numbers i was dialling into, Dan said he is working on a fix, i did try the 4k resolution yesterday on 1.52 and did notice sharper texts etc, however after a while flyinside came up an error message something to do with textures, so i reverted back to a lower resolution, will wait till Dan sorts out the pmdg 737 fsx issues and retry 1.6 later. 

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

I am a beta tester for Flyinside

Great news Skywolf it is good to have a person crossing over from flyinside group and avsim. I've taken the plunge on the rift and will stay inside P3D from now one. Have even managed to be able to boot the computer straight into P3D/flyinside 1.6 with the headset and have a dummy flatscreen monitor plugged in and turned off under the table (personally don't need it). Really like the way flyinside gives you access to the virtual desktop without needing another program to do that. Although the drop in resolution and image quality is exactly as dramatic as what the community have said it would be, all in all I'm sticking with the VR benefits which exceed the loss in eye-candy for me. It is a really expensive hobby though! Biggest problem with the Rift is that I need an air-conditioned room other wise the headset fogs up. Using the rift reminds me of snorkeling!

I cracked open the Vive over the weekend and it is indeed a big Wow.. yes smooshed graphics a bit, but immersion wins here.. i started a separate more specific thread to go over settings and details located here for reference..  I have some tweaks and things to smooth out but I think this is a winner long term.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I cracked open the Vive over the weekend and it is indeed a big Wow.. yes smooshed graphics a bit, but immersion wins here.. i started a separate more specific thread to go over settings and details located here for reference..  I have some tweaks and things to smooth out but I think this is a winner long term.

I should add, initially with the vive + flyinside i had an issue with flashing.. checking off in steam vr "enable always-on Reprojection" seemed to fix this 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Progressing forward in my testing of the vive on that other thread, but i may flip flop back to the Rift, unsure.. i still have the unopened one i'm selling, but i'm thinking of cracking it open, testing its resolution/sharpmeness compared to the vive (and doing the debug hack to make it sharper too).. from what i've seen in regular games/text/screens, it appears the side by side shows the rift to be sharper.. question is.. is it sharper such that the "softened" p3d graphics/textures off in distance get sharper to a point of being noticeable when comparing both headsets.. if the answer is with the Rift say 20% sharper, i'd go with the rift just for p3D.. still debating.. cant seem to find too many that have used both headsets/tweaked and directly compared here

edit: dummy me, forgot your post below earlier in the thread.. if this is true.. next phase of testing starts tonight :sad:

I have both and have used both with Flyinside. I recommend the Rift as better for sim with P3D. IMHO the screen is a good bit better as I can read all the dials and frequencies without leaning in. Since you are not moving around most of the pluses for the Vive go away.

Terry

Progressing forward in my testing of the vive on that other thread, but i may flip flop back to the Rift, unsure.. i still have the unopened one i'm selling, but i'm thinking of cracking it open, testing its resolution/sharpmeness compared to the vive (and doing the debug hack to make it sharper too).. from what i've seen in regular games/text/screens, it appears the side by side shows the rift to be sharper.. question is.. is it sharper such that the "softened" p3d graphics/textures off in distance get sharper to a point of being noticeable when comparing both headsets.. if the answer is with the Rift say 20% sharper, i'd go with the rift just for p3D.. still debating.. cant seem to find too many that have used both headsets/tweaked and directly compared here

edit: dummy me, forgot your post below earlier in the thread.. if this is true.. next phase of testing starts tonight :sad:

Answering my own question.. I tried the rift last nite.. after just testing the vive.. interestingly enough there was a noticeable difference in sharpness in text and imagery.. sitting on the default runway i noticed sharper buildings/more clear etc.. i'd say maybe 10% sharper.. this was enough to convince myself to keep the rift and return the Vive, especially since the motion controllers are due out with room scale and you can use them with existing vive steam vr controlled games in the next 3 months. I also convinced myself i need to get a 1080 instead of my 980ti.. the upscale setting in flyinside was one notch from the max, but panning with turning of the head results in some bad stuttering no matter how I change graphical settings (at least in my initial testing).. 1080 ftw possibly soon.

Answering my own question.. I tried the rift last nite.. after just testing the vive.. interestingly enough there was a noticeable difference in sharpness in text and imagery.. sitting on the default runway i noticed sharper buildings/more clear etc.. i'd say maybe 10% sharper.. this was enough to convince myself to keep the rift and return the Vive, especially since the motion controllers are due out with room scale and you can use them with existing vive steam vr controlled games in the next 3 months. I also convinced myself i need to get a 1080 instead of my 980ti.. the upscale setting in flyinside was one notch from the max, but panning with turning of the head results in some bad stuttering no matter how I change graphical settings (at least in my initial testing).. 1080 ftw possibly soon.

Reduce the Sim FPS (inside p3d) and that you will get Async FPS at 90ish in flyinside then you won't find stuttering.  Also.  I am using 2x980 with VR-SLI and it really helps in Async FPS at 4K resolution inside Flyinside. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Reduce the Sim FPS (inside p3d) and that you will get Async FPS at 90ish in flyinside then you won't find stuttering.  Also.  I am using 2x980 with VR-SLI and it really helps in Async FPS at 4K resolution inside Flyinside. 

I had tried that initially, set the p3d to say 30 and the flyinside windows fps to 30, rather than unlimited.. i was seeing like 17/85 or so for the values on the popup at times.. (even worse if trying orbx ksea areas).. this on the single 980ti.. i still think as some have said sli 980s or 1080 ftw is the way to go.. i may try a few more tweaks before the 1080 (ftw) gets here next week though.  

Just a side note.. i guess there is a possible new 4K 110FOV contender out there The PIMAX 4K UHD.. though it appears to only have a Gyro.. not sure how well that would work for looking around with P3D.. but 4k though at $350 due soon, no real reviews yet..  Lists only 60hz for a refresh rate.

Lists only 60hz for a refresh rate.

Be really cautious about that headset. 60Hz is too low for VR according to the theory.