Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

HTC Vive vs Rift VR for P3D?

The 11K screen looks so cool for VR... Low screen resolution is pretty much the single most deficit with recent VR gears. At 11K we'll definitely be in heaven. 

Of course, not sure which monster computer can push even mere 30fps of P3D at 11K VR. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Why not set up EZDOK views with the Rift if the resolution is a bit low?

Honestly, once that stuff starts creeping in, it's losing the appeal to me of feeling like I'm actually flying a real airplane (which I do in real life).

The more "virtual stuff" and "assists" and "hacks" that have to be done just take me more and more out of the "feels like the real thing" immersion that's the appeal to begin with.

Also - Beyond the gauges stuff, you can't just relax and "enjoy the view" as its' a muddy, pixelly "mess" in the distance, so again, the real world, kicking back, monitoring the gauges, enjoying the view...

...that just isn't there in this generation of VR unfortunately.

Here is a review about rift and flight sim.

You need about 95 fps to make the flight sim experience enjoyable, but the flyinside software helps to archive that.

It appears to be amazing.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Here is one of my experience post on flyinside forum

Nice post thanks. Binocular mode looks promising. Was the simulator smooth at 30-40fps as well?

Yea the simulator is smooth..the runway PAPI/VASI light will look like some huge blob of light while making an approach.but within 2-3 miles you will start seeing the runway.And you will have the height perception..good for IFR :) .

One difference i saw in the text readability is i increased the resolution to maximum inside flyinside and increased the anti aliasing to ultra inside its settings..this made a difference.i can read a2a cessna 182 dials well. For the heading indicator i need to peep in a little or use binocular mode..radios are pretty much readable in cessna 182. For GTN you will have to use binocular mode. The rotating clouds issue is p3d becomes all the more visible.their movement look like curtains opening in a theatre.And if there is a nice huge blob of rotating clouds in front of you you start feeling disorientated as they do the huge dance in front of you

Yea the simulator is smooth

Do you think the Rift is bright enough and produces natural colours well enough for reproducing the sky and landscape colours convincingly?

Do you think the Rift is bright enough and produces natural colours well enough for reproducing the sky and landscape colours convincingly?

I have used Oculus DK2 with P3D. The color and contrast of OLED screen is outstanding. It's even more impressive during the night - brightness, shadows and nuances are nearly perfect.

The only kill is the low resolution and low fps. Well, hope we'll be there someday soon. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

The only kill is the low resolution and low fps. Well, hope we'll be there someday soon. 

That's the reason why I am holding back. I cannot even stand lowish fps (<60fps) with TrackIR using a G-sync monitor. Makes me dizzy after while and it is eye-taxing.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I have a rift cv1 coming tomorrow. Ill report when I get it setup and test it with pmdg 737 and Majestic Dash8 on p3d 3.3. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I have a rift cv1 coming tomorrow. Ill report when I get it setup and test it with pmdg 737 and Majestic Dash8 on p3d 3.3. 

Thanks that would be good. It would be good to hear whether you can find a way to create close up instrument views using something like binocular view or integrating with ezdok. The critics of the low resolution aren't acknowledging that even when using a 2D flat panel, most people still use close up views of the instruments anyway.

• Upvote 1

well i dont think you need to peep in to the monitor in 2D to look at the instruments unless your monitor is small and far .with oculus you will need to for some instruments..second you can try ezdok with flyinside .you will not get any error.but when you peep in ,your cockpit will also move relatively by the same distance.ezdok is not supported with flyinside.the recommended approach is to use your default p3d keys to adjust your eyepoint.i have my mapped to the arrow keys which help using oculus

The critics of the low resolution aren't acknowledging that even when using a 2D flat panel, most people still use close up views of the instruments anyway.

Couldn't disagree more.  Never ever use close up views of panel in P3D these days, especially since going to 4k.

If you're flown at all in 4k, you will be absolutely and completely disappointed with this gen of VR.

Not even CLOSE to the clarity and all sorts of compromise and hacks are required.

It's going to be wonderful - Just not this generation sadly.  (I wanted SO SO badly to love it...just not there for my type of flying this gen)

CV1 & Vive 1 are all about the immersion - But are severely lacking in the clarity we are all mostly accustomed to (and need, depending upon the goals)