Sign in to follow this  
Desaix

Flightsimcon 2016...any news on Austin Meyer's speech?

Just joining the chorus here about weather and seasons.

All the new eye candy coming up for airplane appearance is nice, but I'd be happy with the current version if we just had a much better weather engine and seasonal terrain. I'm tired of flying over Alaska and having it look like Summer all the time. I'm tired of not seeing realistic CB's in the sim. 

+ 200000,

that´s true - for me one of the biggest parts which should be updated or is necessary to be completely reworked - I don´t know but I think Laminar Research have a problem with this word "weather" or "seasons" !! I don´t know why, I think weather and the weather effects should be, not the most important, but one of the most important things in a seriuos flight simulator like XP10 (no matter if you are flying IFR or VFR).

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

The updated version of XP 10 is going to be fantastic! Thanks for sharing the video.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The updated version of XP 10 is going to be fantastic! Thanks for sharing the video.

Yes, great video, and many great things to come in XP 11,

I like the laminar guys and their presentation at fscon 2016.

Tom

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

Sounds like you need some sleep ! lol...The code is in 10 for seasons but I think they are leaving that up to the ADD-ON developers.

I like to see CB's too !

You should shoot Austin a email with feature requests, he does read his emails and he replies most times !

Cmon, I don't think they need more emails about weather and seasons. Everywhere in XP forums you read about complains about cloud FPS, few layers, basic depiction of complex cloud formations, not to mention how much people is tired of flying everytime in summer.

Don't get me wrong, on theory I like more detailed default aircrafts but in practice who cares about those, almost all XP users buy payware aircrafts, I think they should invest resources where people would expect bigger jumps forward.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that video! I just watched it all the way through - and I normally don't have the patience to sit and watch videos when I could be doing something else.

I was getting pretty excited to see those 10.50 features, especially knowing that they'll be here very soon. But then those peeks at some stuff they have working in 11... wow... good times ahead for sure!

As much as I'd love to see a new weather engine, or seasonal ground textures / effects, it's pretty exciting to see the work done so far. That UI looks so nice, the new lighting effects are pretty sweet, and that sound engine was also very impressive.

The one important thing that I took away from watching all of the new things being worked on for 11, is that all of those features are being shown off independently of each other. Each one of those was "Here's this new feature, in the current platform." None of them were apparently being combined together. So to me, that means that one can't really look (yet) at the parts being shown in the background, like clouds, and jump to a conclusion that they are being ignored. It could be (or could not be) another side project being developed independently of the other features.

Oh... and maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, but in the presentation section about WED and 10.50, I heard the word T-hangers pop up a few times. As someone who builds scenery only for the gateway, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope we get some new assets to build small airports with in 10.50!! Since I'm already going to have the incentive to go back into all of my older airports to revise the parking locations, maybe I'll be able to change out some hangers as well.

• Upvote 3

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Cmon, I don't think they need more emails about weather and seasons. Everywhere in XP forums you read about complains about cloud FPS, few layers, basic depiction of complex cloud formations, not to mention how much people is tired of flying everytime in summer.

Don't get me wrong, on theory I like more detailed default aircrafts but in practice who cares about those, almost all XP users buy payware aircrafts, I think they should invest resources where people would expect bigger jumps forward.

I am not going to email Austin. There are a million customers that want a million different features. They will all be addressed in time ! My point is that it is pointless to complain about x,y and z in this forum, just email Austin if you are tired of this and that !

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Nope. Those are pretty good projects to integrate new members into the team. Add a new member and give him a totally new project, where even the basics are just now in pieces, like the new renderer. Serasons will have to be a part of the new rendering engine, but as long as this engine doesn´t run halfway reliable it is nearly impossible to write the shaders, that will have to change the seasons.

Or how should he test and improve the renderers as long as he can´t implement them.

Great news and very exciting times indeed!!

Thanks for posting the video.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Good news indeed.

Looks as if the next generation of gpu are just right for the next generation of x-plane.

Exciting times. ..

• Upvote 1

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I sure want to see a lot more focus on weather and it being modeled more fully & accurately.

I don't understand how this continues to be so overlooked in XPX.

It's such a massively important aspect of properly modeling a flight simulation experience.

• Upvote 1

I sure want to see a lot more focus on weather and it being modeled more fully & accurately.

I don't understand how this continues to be so overlooked in XPX.

It's such a massively important aspect of properly modeling a flight simulation experience.

It's not as easy as it sounds. The great weather in FSX/P3D isn't there by default. 

It's not as easy as it sounds. The great weather in FSX/P3D isn't there by default. 

True, but default FSX weather engine is still much better (visually) than default X-Plane weather, and it's for this reason that 3rd party add-ons are able to take advantage of it and improve it further.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Nice news!!! X-Plane 11 is coming..

• Upvote 1

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

True, but default FSX weather engine is still much better (visually) than default X-Plane weather, and it's for this reason that 3rd party add-ons are able to take advantage of it and improve it further.

Better than default XP? Sure, but not better than with addons, maybe depending on the scenario.

• Upvote 1