Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

W10 'adverts' post 29 July

I have decided to remain with W7 and have hidden the W10 'advert' that pops up in my Windows Updates every couple of months.

But once 29 July has passed will this 'update' still appear forcing me to keep hiding it? Or will Microsoft finally give up and accept we don't want it?

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

But once 29 July has passed will this 'update' still appear forcing me to keep hiding it

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

GHD,

Did you read my question? I don't have the advert update installed so I'm not seeing these prompts. I am hiding it every couple of months but my question was will this continue after 29 July?

Pete, If the KB update is not installed what will that program actually do?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

PMJI.. the program will tell you if there are any W10 routines on your system... it is basically a "health check".

Recommended :smile:

Bert

Hi Bert,

I'm certain there aren't any 10 update programs on any of my systems because many months ago the Windows Updates responsible for loading them were identified by NickN and the KB numbers were listed over on SimForums.

Whilst I could load that program what I'm asking is will Microsoft continue to try and install that update after 29 July? No one has answered that question yet perhaps because they don't know.

Prevention is better than cure and I've kept those 10 things off my systems up to now. But if Microsoft are going to keep trying to install them then that program may be the only option. But it would be useful to know what their plans are.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,  Who knows, "better safe than sorry", I figure.

I run the program after every Windows update cycle..

Bert

Ray  the  program  wont  allow  any  win 10 updates  to  be  iinstalled when  you  do the  windows  update, it  will also alert  you if  it  does  than  all you need   to do is  run the tool

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just thinking, as Windows 10 will no longer be free after 29th July, I'm sure the free update requests will stop then.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Bert / Pete, I guess that means that the 'advert' is installed and then the program removes it. Or maybe alerts you to its presence and 'unchecks' it from being installed. But that means it has to be running when you execute Windows Updates. Or is it a TSR?

Wobbie, that's the $64,000 question. Will Microsoft stop including it in the update cycle making this other program redundant?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

when  you install  it   its   in  your  task bar and  it  detects  when  ever  there  is  a win10 update  and  it  removes  it  and  alerts  you,  yes  after    29 july is  the  $64000   question

Peter kelberg

Thanks Pete. So it is a T&SR program. I'll wait until mid-August when the next set of updates are due after 29/7. That will be the trigger as to whether I need this program or not.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I run it once after each Windows update and shut it down after.

Bert

Thanks Bert. I may well end up doing the same myself post 29 July.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have decided to remain with W7 and have hidden the W10 'advert' that pops up in my Windows Updates every couple of months.

But once 29 July has passed will this 'update' still appear forcing me to keep hiding it? Or will Microsoft finally give up and accept we don't want it?

Ray,

What will happen is that you will get continuous adverts from Microsoft, stating: 

"We regret to inform you that you have officially passed the July 29th, 2016 deadline for your free upgrade to Windows 10.  Unfortunately, we now must require payment for the upgrade, should you decide to do so.  If you do not upgrade, this is your prerogative, but please be aware that your machine will be logged for termination and cannot be responsible for any spontaneous combustion that may occur.  We sincerely hope that you will join the ever-growing Windows 10 community and be a part of something wonderful.  Again, if you choose to stay with the old, outdated and less popular Windows 7, that is your choice, but be aware that you may be subject to endless taunting and mysterious, anonymous phone calls in the middle of dinner of while you are sleeping, asking why you didn't upgrade.  Thank you."

:LMAO:

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit