Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Runway lights dusk and night

Hi guys

Quick question, in dusk and night settings why is it my runway lights on final using stock default airports are lit up like Xmas trees from 5nm+, yet I can barely make the runway lights on most of my payware airports from the same distance?

Is it to do with how the lighting has been developed by the 3rd party devs? Usual mix of vendors, UK2000 Taxi2gate, Flytampa FSDT etc.

Thanks

Sid

Thomas Derbyshire

Stock FSX runway lights are, in my opinion, way too big and bright when viewed from a distance.  I think a lot of payware airports use their own light textures to correct this issue.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thats probably true but from what distance in the real world would you expect to be visual with the runway lights at night? In the sim I reckon this is about 3 or 4 nm for me flying into payware airports.

Thomas Derbyshire

Thats probably true but from what distance in the real world would you expect to be visual with the runway lights at night? In the sim I reckon this is about 3 or 4 nm for me flying into payware airports.

That would vary tremendously based on weather conditions.  FSX is an old program and utilized a lot of legacy code from previous versions of MS Flight Sims.  I've not noticed at what distance the landing lights are visible, I just know that when they become visible, they tend to "pop" on and are very easy to see.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I agree with the OP at some payware airports eg Orbx YBBN the runway lights are almost invisible until just before touchdown.  Stock lights may be too bright and you can adjust this in fsx.cfg but some payware runway lights do seem to be very dim no matter what the weather.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Add the following lines to the Display section of the FSX.CFG file then adjust to your liking. lower values dim the lights, higher ones make them brighter. 

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.9                                   ; Runway lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.9                                           ;VASI/PAPI lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.1                                 ;Approach Lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5                                      ; Strobes

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Add the following lines to the Display section of the FSX.CFG file then adjust to your liking. lower values dim the lights, higher ones make them brighter. 

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.9                                   ; Runway lights

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.9                                           ;VASI/PAPI lights

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.1                                 ;Approach Lights

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5                                      ; Strobes

Thanks for this. Do you know of any way to turn these lights on during the daytime. I have often over ran airports as I have failed to see them.

Thanks

John

Do you know of any way to turn these lights on during the daytime.

IRL unless the visibility is below 3sm (it can vary from Country to Country), the runway and approach lights aren't turned on during the day.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

IRL unless the weather is down the runway and approach lights aren't on during the day.

Thanks

The config tweak doesn't affect payware custom lighting from my testing anyway.  I might have this wrong but when I have increased the approach value it makes my stock airports even brighter but I noticed no difference at my numerous payware airports.  It's a bit of a shame because I can't fly visual at night until I'm literally 1-2 NM out because I can't see anything.

Thomas Derbyshire

Yes the config tweak, which I use, only works with stock airports - yet to find any way of adjusting the brightness of payware runway lights some of which are very dim.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

if you got  rexe  you can adjust  the lights in the options

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I've tried all the options in the REX lighting section and none of it seems to apply to payware airports either.  :(

Thomas Derbyshire