Sign in to follow this  
TszChun

Have Anyone Here flown into FlyTampa Toronto CYYZ without OOM?

I am worried, I was planning on eventually going to P3D, because of the memory management. So you still run into OOM and have to disable scenery you are not flying to? In FSX Acceleration I can fly FlyTampa CYUL to FSDT LSZH and not get OOM. But I turn off all Ai traffic and other scenery. - David Lee

I am worried, I was planning on eventually going to P3D, because of the memory management.

Right now it's an improvement over FSX but I still has only 4GB of VAS. The sky is the limit when the 64bit version of P3D is available.

Right now it's an improvement over FSX but I still has only 4GB of VAS. The sky is the limit when the 64bit version of P3D is available.

.....or your hardware.

P.S. I have a 4 year old PC :(

What?? No... That is just wrong...

Why do you think so? Please read about before making such statements.

Here is a NGX at EHAM in Europe, with Grand Canyon photoscenery disabled and Process Explorer readings of VAS:

FSX+PS%20D.jpg

sl+d.jpg

PE+D.jpg

And here is a same situatiation, with Grand Canyon enabled:

fsx+with%20ps%20enabled.jpg

sl+e.jpg

PE+with%20PS%20enabled.jpg

As you can see, with photoscenery(which is far away)enabled, VAS is higher by almost 200MB. Keep in mind this is with only one scenery(which is not needed)enabled. If i enable all my sceneries, i'll get instant OOM. But i use SceneryConfigEditor before every flight and never had a OOM. This is why SeneryConfigEditor exists, to allow us to disable all sceneries that are not needed for current flight

Photoscenery is all that needs to be disabled as it loads into memory regardless of where you are.

Disabling airport addons generally shouldn't make any difference because they don't load into memory until around 10nm from them. Although if an airport also comes with a lot of photoreal ground scenery then it could load by default depending on how it's compiled and used. Most addon airports can be left on regardless of where you are and they won't load.

Couatl airport from FSDT and Flighbeam should always remain on as Couatl won't left them load until you cross the loading range and then Couatl will unload them from memory when you exit the area.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Photoscenery is all that needs to be disabled as it loads into memory regardless of where you are.

True of FSX but not P3D

Dan Downs KCRP

True of FSX but not P3D

Your saying in P3D that airports also load into memory across the globe like photoscenery does, regardless of your proximity to them?

Why do you think so? Please read about before making such statements.

Here is a NGX at EHAM in Europe, with Grand Canyon photoscenery disabled and Process Explorer readings of VAS:

FSX+PS%20D.jpg

sl+d.jpg

PE+D.jpg

And here is a same situatiation, with Grand Canyon enabled:

fsx+with%20ps%20enabled.jpg

sl+e.jpg

PE+with%20PS%20enabled.jpg

As you can see, with photoscenery(which is far away)enabled, VAS is higher by almost 200MB. Keep in mind this is with only one scenery(which is not needed)enabled. If i enable all my sceneries, i'll get instant OOM. But i use SceneryConfigEditor before every flight and never had a OOM. This is why SeneryConfigEditor exists, to allow us to disable all sceneries that are not needed for current flight

Do you kniw how many airports I have installed? Do you know how many I have disabled? (Hint, it's 0). Others have already explained above that happens eith photoscenery, not with other add-ons that are only losded when you are within a certain distance from them.

I use a lot of MS photoscenery.. I am going to test this theory in P3D V3.3.5 this weekend and report back

Most of my western US states except for PNW I use photoscenery.

1) I am going to start at EHAM and check my VAS with everything on.

2) Then I am going to turn them all off (western US states photoscenery)  and check my VAS with a saved flight from (1)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I quoted that...

Your saying in P3D that airports also load into memory across the globe like photoscenery does, regardless of your proximity to them?

No. P3D does not load scenery, photo or otherwise, across the globe.  It actively manages VAS and tries very hard to remove VAS when it gets tight.  FSX loads photo scenery regardless of location, P3D does not.

Dan Downs KCRP

I quoted that...

No. P3D does not load scenery, photo or otherwise, across the globe. It actively manages VAS and tries very hard to remove VAS when it gets tight. FSX loads photo scenery regardless of location, P3D does not.

Ok, I get what your saying. I interpreted it wrong. I though you were saying that airports also loaded globally unlike FSX, which in this case would be worse.

So if you have photoscenery loaded and activated in the P3D scenery library for Los Angles, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and Miami, go to Top Down View and zoom out to where the whole US is visible, those scenery areas won't be visible or loaded into memory like FSX? They will only get loaded into memory as you approach them? If so, that is a great improvement for people who have tons of photoscenery and don't want to have to deactivate areas all the time.

Exactly, in fact Fly Tampa CYUL has a humongous set of photo files and I notice the bump in VAS during overflight.  It rises then falls as i approach and depart that area. There is no need in P3D to constantly switch things on and off in scenery.cfg like I and many did in FSX.

Dan Downs KCRP

The only issue I currently have with all the addon scenery turned on in P3DV3.3  all the time is, the "terrain loading" takes a long time (around the 6% mark). It takes me more than 10 minutes to load a saved scenario (my P3D is on an SSD) but my Mega Scenery is on a regular HD.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I wonder if there is a way to turn off the photo files for CYYZ and CYUL ?  With Global, Vector and LC you really don't need them anymore.

Mark   CYYZ      

I wonder if there is a way to turn off the photo files for CYYZ and CYUL ?  With Global, Vector and LC you really don't need them anymore.

I've done just that for a number of locations including CYUL, KSEA, etc. Results look good.

Dan Downs KCRP