Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

CLOSED: Take our survey and have your say in shaping the future of flight simulation (plus there are prizes to be won!)

Worst on-line questionnaire...PR disaster.

I second the above amended motion!

Worst on-line questionnaire...PR Disaster.

Oh come on...let's be real; is it a terrible survey, yes; is it a disaster, lol - only on AVSim!

I think it's good they are asking our opinion; even though i have my doubts that they will listen, or for that matter that we are the target audience. 

• Upvote 2

Ian R Tyldesley

Oh come on...let's be real; is it a terrible survey, yes; is it a disaster, lol - only on AVSim!

I think it's good they are asking our opinion; even though i have my doubts that they will listen, or for that matter that we are the target audience. 

JV said in the thread which was subsequently deleted that the sim was to go into initial beta within the next week (or words to that effect) so why they would even be asking these questions at this late stage is beyond me.

And no, existing simmers aren't the target audience. It's the millions of Steam account holders who have no flight sims whatsoever in their library....and who would much prefer to purchase their add-ons as Steam DLC than support the third-party community. 

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

so why they would even be asking these questions at this late stage is beyond me.

Well...err "Uncle Adolph", interesting.  It could be that they are looking for areas of future improvement, even if the first release is little more than DTG Flight School but with the map of FSX.

I do think that DTG get a 'hard ride' on here, but being entirely honest i have been consistently underwhelmed by the train sim offering, i have no reason to doubt that it will be just the same with the Flight Sim side.

And no, existing simmers aren't the target audience. It's the millions of Steam account holders who have no flight sims whatsoever in their library....and who would much prefer to purchase their add-ons as Steam DLC than support the third-party community. 

You may be correct of course, but that is a rather dangerous strategy, without the long term interest it's very likely that the product will die quite quickly...see Flight.  However i think that DTG will probably design a basic (quite probably indistinguishable from FSX) Sim and then release a metric tonne of..ahem...basic...quality DLC.

But, it's entirely idle speculation on my part, i hope to be proven very wrong! :) 

Ian R Tyldesley

Finally managed to get through it.  Have to say the instruction that you have to order all the items in the boxes  is odd - and a bit of a barrier - since you actually don't.  You can just pick the ones that apply.  Wish that had been made clear.  Still, good on Dovetail for trying to find out what's on our minds.  Hope they act on it.  

Got some bad news for you! If you just completed it on Aug13th (and anyone after that)  then you are not eligible for the contest. Unless they extended it, which I don't see any indication they did, the deadline for the contest was the day before Aug 12th., according  to the posted rules.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

But, it's entirely idle speculation on my part, i hope to be proven very wrong! :)

I agree! We are all speculating on the platform in similar ways.

Perhaps our hopes will be realized and our fears relieved.

Hoping for the best!

Kind regards,

JV said in the thread which was subsequently deleted that the sim was to go into initial beta within the next week

Beta testing already?? I was expecting them to struggle to get it out of the door at all in 2016.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Beta testing already?? I was expecting them to struggle to get it out of the door at all in 2016.

Yeah, I was thinking much the same.  Flightschool was only released three months ago.  

• Upvote 1

It makes me wonder just how "feature complete" DTG Flight Simulator is actually going to be on release day....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It makes me wonder just how "feature complete" DTG Flight Simulator is actually going to be on release day..

To be fair, I think Martin has said on a number of occassions that we won't get everything on day one. I'm not too bothered about it at this stage anyway - I'll happily wait for all the dust to settle over the next year ot two before taking the leap. I'm heavily invested in P3D, and I cannot afford to run another sim at this stage.

Oh, I know that DTG Flight Simulator will not have everything on day one. However, if they are in beta testing already, will it actually have anything? What I ean by this is......how much more advanced and/or different will it be to DTG Flight School/FSX/P3D?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Oh, I know that DTG Flight Simulator will not have everything on day one. However, if they are in beta testing already, will it actually have anything? What I ean by this is......how much more advanced and/or different will it be to DTG Flight School/FSX/P3D?

Since we cant see John V's original post, I take this with a grain of salt. I wouldn't think too much into a rumor at this point. He rarely deletes his own posts, so I would count that redaction as a fallacy. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

What I ean by this is......how much more advanced and/or different will it be to DTG Flight School/FSX/P3D?

Sparse information exists so far.

Summary:
Dovetail: "Flight School and Flight Simulator do share the same underlying technology. However, Flight Simulator is still in development and upon release will be a much bigger and more feature-rich experience than Flight School."

I ask the same question: How much more.......... :unknw:

Got some bad news for you! If you just completed it on Aug13th (and anyone after that)  then you are not eligible for the contest. Unless they extended it, which I don't see any indication they did, the deadline for the contest was the day before Aug 12th., according  to the posted rules.

Thanks for the heads-up!  Actually not a problem for me in this particular case - I'm very happy with my MFG Crosswind pedals and not looking to change them, so I'd probably just have sold the Thrustmasters if I'd qualified.  But I'll need to keep a better eye on deadlines in the future.

As far as the survey is concerned, I'm just interested in getting my opinion heard... assuming that actually happens...   B)

It makes me wonder just how "feature complete" DTG Flight Simulator is actually going to be on release day....

Sparse information exists so far.

Summary:
Dovetail: "Flight School and Flight Simulator do share the same underlying technology. However, Flight Simulator is still in development and upon release will be a much bigger and more feature-rich experience than Flight School."

I ask the same question: How much more.......... :unknw:

Well, you guys seem to not know or realize the 'new' sim is simply an updated version of FSX. DTG has opened a topic a week ago in which they ask help for squashing the FSX bugs which makes it obviously clear this is not a totally new sim. They even said so themselves ("Dovetail Games Flight Simulator is based on an updated version of the FSX engine"). If they had build a complete new sim they would have had bugs of their own.  :wink: So my guess is that the 'new' sim will have pretty much the same content as FSX. And FSX has been beta tested for 10 years already so I am not surprised DTG is beta testing 'already' too.  :wink: