Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

I'm pretty far on the geek side, but my wife looked at this KAT WALK video and gave me "that look" ... 

I can't imagine this is comfortable for a 14 hour 777 flight ... but what I really want to know is what does it do when you fly inverted?  hehe

Cheers, Rob.

I'm pretty far on the geek side, but my wife looked at this KAT WALK video and gave me "that look" ... 

I can't imagine this is comfortable for a 14 hour 777 flight ... but what I really want to know is what does it do when you fly inverted?  hehe

Cheers, Rob.

I've seen these recently in various forms. My first thought was that they pretty neatly solve the "holodeck" problem of people walking apparently long distances within the confines relatively small rooms.

Of course, they're slippery as hell, and all the solutions I've seen need to support you to keep you from slipping and breaking your face.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I tried a VR demo back in the early 90s, and I've never forgotten the nausea it gave me after about 15 seconds. Doubtless things have improved since, but combined with the other limitations listed, I just don't fancy it. Besides, I tend to mentally tune external stimuli out enough that I feel like I'm in the cockpit anyway. For my own point of view, VR is the solution to a problem I don't have.

The difference between the time you tried VR and now is like comparing FSX with SubLogic.

VR has come a long way!

Best

BaldyB

I do feel sorry for those who have a problem with motion sickness. My daughter is one of them. As a Korean Navy Frog combat vet and generally nutty person perhaps I have tried everything! When flying in real life,(I'm 71 now) my instrument instructor used to tell me to "Put the hood on, don't cheat!!!". He would then execute a hammerhead stall and say "Take control ", Recover straight and level flight and bring my to Airport XXX, I need a cup of coffee". Never suffered a trace of vertigo or sea sickness, color me lucky. I found it easy to trust the gauges as was instructed to do. I went to Disney World with my grand kids and great grand kids, went on that roller coaster twice, loved it. You do pull some G's and I think I did feel an inch., shorter.  You could smell the puke when going over the top on the coaster!

When I install the Rift later today I'll let you guy's know how I see it. I do know if your under xx/90 FPS many will have a problem and get sick. It looks like the key is to maintain the second figure spoke of to get a better experience for those prone to motion sickness. The xx in the xx/90 is dependent on the complexity of the aircraft? We shall see!

Goodluck

BaldyB

I do know if your under xx/90 FPS many will have a problem and get sick. It looks like the key is to maintain the second figure spoke of to get a better experience for those prone to motion sickness.

For those prone to motion sickness, the framerate is not as important as the fact that your eyes say you're manoeuvring but your inner ear says you're not. Full-sized, fixed base sims can cause the same problem for some people and definitely don't have a problem with low framerates.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

For those prone to motion sickness, the framerate is not as important as the fact that your eyes say you're manoeuvring but your inner ear says you're not. Full-sized, fixed base sims can cause the same problem for some people and definitely don't have a problem with low framerates.

I have seen men puke over the life lines at sea many times. Low frame rates! My daughter suffers from motion sickness, has to take pills to go with my son in-law in his 18 wheeler, every time all the time! So I agree with you. The point I was making was iterated by many, many, others, the VR situation can trigger the malady. Whats not to understand?

Best

BaldyB

I had an Oculus Rift CV1, but had to take it back because the resolution was too low and the visuals seemed too dark, although I am reconsidering trying it out again. I do have to say it is the most incredible experience you will ever have within a flight simulator. It cannot be described with words and there is no way to show the experience via video. It simply requires one to experience it. One question though for those who have VR, my biggest frustration is I could not get HDR to work and I do not believe it is supported. Can any of you good VR pilots see if you can get HDR to work. 

When I first used it with the sensor in the wrong position I could see the panel pretty good but the setup screens were almost eligible. After moving the sensor I found myself in the pilots seat, that a +, and found the setup screen res as good as my BenQ HI res. 1ms monitor. Just thought I would throw in the Benny.

I tried importing the desktop and it works but needs more work/setup by me. I saw a keyboard but it had no labels on the key's, I could click it. Remember this is all Beta stuff, you run it you suddenly are a Beta tester!

Best Xmas to you and yours.

BaldyB

As far as resolution, I know that the Oculus CV1 does have the option of increasing the apparent resolution (supersampling) if your system has the horsepower to support it. Some newer games give you a choice in the options screen and Aerofly FS2 (for instance) does have this option in its VR settings, effectively quadrupling the pixels on screen. (At a cost!) 

It increases clarity quite a bit, and makes gauges and instruments much more legible.

For games that don't natively support this option, you can even do it manually.....

http://www.roadtovr.com/improve-oculus-rift-game-image-quality-using-this-tool-oculus-debug-tool/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Had the rift, I agree it is the future but I dont think its quite ready just yet for primetime. Resolution was too low coming from a 4K 43 inch setup. Also, I get motion sickness afterwards pretty bad so its just not good for my health. Ill stick to my monitor for now but maybe in a couple years there will be better res and maybe something that doesnt cause people to get motion sick, then im in for sure because its really like sitting in the cockpit. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I just had my first VR experience.  A guy at work had his smart phone attacked to Occulus Rift.  Maybe it was the cell phone, but the resolution is TERRIBLE.  The screen was so grainy, and most of the things I did were really jerky.  I'd guess that would be the refresh rate on a phone.  I watched a video that was an airboat in the Florida everglades and felt nauseated right away from the jerkiness of the film/phone.

Is the PC any better?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is the PC any better?

Much.

Target framerate of VR on a PC is 90fps.

Devons rig

Aerofly FS2 (for instance) does have this option in its VR settings, effectively quadrupling the pixels on screen

What does this mean? This obviously doesn't change the number of pixels on the screen, so it's really just a different way of doing the anti-aliasing.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

The biggest problem I have found with current VR (Oculus and Vive) is the "screen door" effect. http://www.vrheads.com/what-screen-door-effect-and-why-does-it-happen

After the initial "wow" factor this quickly ruins the overall immersion for me.

The good news is that 4K VR is on the horizon which will totally eliminate this plus be far better resolution.

This is when I will jump into VR again.

Kind regards

The good news is that 4K VR is on the horizon which will totally eliminate this plus be far better resolution.

Sounds good, can you point to this?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

What does this mean? This obviously doesn't change the number of pixels on the screen, so it's really just a different way of doing the anti-aliasing.

True, I meant to say it quadruples the resolution/pixels before downsampling them.

Sounds good, can you point to this?

This is one of them. China is apparently very hot for VR and is big on breaking the 4k HMD barrier  https://vrworld.com/2016/08/31/meet-first-4k-vr-headset/

Devons rig