Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

Once in Avatar mode.  Look in options and you will see change view.  In the view First person (with body or without body) is listed.

I to went from multimonitor setup to VR.  VR screen is slightly lower res and you have to have Flyinside-FSX (they have it for p3d also - try the demo).  Just remember VR is very cutting edge tech. It is like this when the first Atari's came out for home use.  That is the stage VR is in.

Other VR apps and demos (including some video stuff out there) is amazing.  Right now there is Vive and Rift.  Both have pros and cons.  Resolution is same.  Vive is tied to steam store and Rift is by itself and they have their own store.  Rift will get hand controllers in the fall.  Read flyinside forums to see which people like more.  I am in the Rift camp for now.

Again, VR is all about VC flying.  I disabled external model to save VAS on my vas heavy 777 and VC is just awesome.  737 VC is way better than 777 due to almost everything is modeled in it.  Q400 is Number 1 in VC for me.  I will post a list in the p3d section detailing VR experience (was going to do this weekend - now it will happen in few days).

But one thing is for sure - I can never ever go back to 2D monitors now.  It is like taking someone to the moon, and then tell them that you can visit moon by looking photos only.

You should try Captain Sim planes if you can. They look very impressive in VR.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Thanks again - it looks really good so I'll use it to do my next external walkaround check. It seems to me though that the Touch facility must be required to operate virtual cockpit switches and knobs?

LeapMotion allows hands to be used but I hear it is so-so tech for the time being.  There will be few more players in this area within few months.  Oculus Touch will help out a lot.  I know Vive Hand controls do some cool stuff within Flyinside (Dan is constantly improving the support for the app). 

Yep. One good way of seeing what controls are possible for avatar is to go into P3D settings->controls and in the search box type "avatar". I think running is crtl+shift+E for avatar then R. I'm constantly running around in Avatar even in 2D.

I've ordered the Rift its in the mail. I'm committed to 3D now!

Thank you for letting me know about the controls.  Running here I come.  Welcome to the VR club

Oh, with SLI and Flyinside running in 4K, the controls in pmdg 777 with 4SS AA are very sharp.  It is nice

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Oh, with SLI and Flyinside running in 4K, the controls in pmdg 777 with 4SS AA are very sharp.  It is nice

It is great news about SLI support. Did you get the brightness/contrast/colour controls working in 1.6 flyinside? Let's keep fingers crossed that HDR support will happen one day.

I love flying with my Vive! It has totally changed the way I sim. I use opus fsi for cameras and it workes great. Setting up cameras helps alot to counter the lower resolution of the headset, and I dont have any trouble flying aerosoft a320 or pmdg 738/77l.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I've got the avatar function going now thanks to all the help - I used to enjoy walking out to the aircraft, particularly in early morning, so like starting my simulated sorties that way. The way the avatar casts a shadow is just amazing. VR looks increasingly like a Christmas present to myself.

Question: with or without a touch thingy, when wearing a VR headset how is it possible to see and operate the W, Q and E keys to drive the avatar?

VR is certainly being hype'd up ... but it has some major issues for me:

1.  I get headaches if I use it for more than 1 hour

2.  Resolution is poor and still requires very high FPS

3.  I tend to fog them up with my body heat after an hour

4.  Can't use any of my GoFlight gear so interaction is awkward and clunky

5.  Desperately needs virtual glove interaction

Just too many compromise for me to consider the technology a replacement for my Monitor(s) ... it has some initial "oh that's cool" impact, but once that wears of it's compromises become more and more apparent and back on the shelf to gather dust it goes.

Several companies are backing this technology, including LM ... but IMHO it's not human friendly enough to sustain long term use.  Don't get me wrong, it has it's place, but it's far from replacing monitors ... I'd much rather have an 8K res 80" curved monitor (circa 2017/18 affordability), TrackIR, and a tactile cockpit with real buttons, knobs, switches.  Next technology leap forward for me would be holographic protection.

Cheers, Rob.

Well I just got my Oculus and I'm in awe. I thought I knew what VR was from watching 3D movies and crossing my eyes to watch split-screen YouTube vids, but that's not it at ALL.

I'll admit at first I was a bit underwhelmed.

The screen seemed hazy and much more pixellated than I had expected. I'm myopic, so considering the Oculus is only a few inches deep, obviously I wouldn't need to wear my glasses. (of course)

WRONG!

The Oculus lenses focus on infinity, and actually acts as if the screen is quite a distance away from you. (Hmmmpph!)

Later, feeling slightly let down, I wedged my glasses in there and........YIKES!

I had no idea. None at all. Looking around (Eyes big as saucers) I started downloading demos and and trying "experiences" while my jaw dropped more and more. I twisted, I looked behind me, I craned my neck to look up and look down...... 

Then I tried Aerofly FS 2........ Total gawp-city.

My "test" dragged into a few hours of flying, occasionally just spontaneously laughing out loud at what I was experiencing. I wasn't playing a flight simulator, I was in the plane!!

Just hours later, Ipacs released its latest update letting you alter the pixel density, and abruptly it was even better, with the instrument panel fully legible, the dials fully readable.

Suddenly rather than using key combos, I was flicking switches with my mouse, and suddenly I wanted to do and know everything.

The decision was made. I may play on a a regular screen occasionally now and then, but from this point on, but I think now that my first love for flying will definitely be in the Oculus.

Even if spinning the plane actually makes your stomach lurch.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well I just got my Oculus and I'm in awe. I thought I knew what VR was from watching 3D movies and crossing my eyes to watch split-screen YouTube vids, but that's not it at ALL.

I'll admit at first I was a bit underwhelmed.

The screen seemed hazy and much more pixellated than I had expected. I'm myopic, so considering the Oculus is only a few inches deep, obviously I wouldn't need to wear my glasses. (of course)

WRONG!

The Oculus lenses focus on infinity, and actually acts as if the screen is quite a distance away from you. (Hmmmpph!)

Later, feeling slightly let down, I wedged my glasses in there and........YIKES!

I had no idea. None at all. Looking around (Eyes big as saucers) I started downloading demos and and trying "experiences" while my jaw dropped more and more. I twisted, I looked behind me, I craned my neck to look up and look down...... 

Then I tried Aerofly FS 2........ Total gawp-city.

My "test" dragged into a few hours of flying, occasionally just spontaneously laughing out loud at what I was experiencing. I wasn't playing a flight simulator, I was in the plane!!

Just hours later, Ipacs released its latest update letting you alter the pixel density, and abruptly it was even better, with the instrument panel fully legible, the dials fully readable.

Suddenly rather than using key combos, I was flicking switches with my mouse, and suddenly I wanted to do and know everything.

The decision was made. I may play on a a regular screen occasionally now and then, but from this point on, but I think now that my first love for flying will definitely be in the Oculus.

Even if spinning the plane actually makes your stomach lurch.

Awesome!!!! I have been telling that to people too...once with corrective eye wear, VR is insane.  Being in the plane is epic.  You can never play anything on 2D screen anymore.  Trust me, after your VR experience you want everything in VR.

Watch 2 Airplane videos on Jaunt.  One is 3d computer lifelike graphics on history of aviation but then the second one is in the Aircraft Carrier.  I so felt like I was in Top Gun.  Wow is the word...

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Having the Oculus DK2 but I'm waiting for the 2nd generation 4K screen VR. I can't stand the 1080p screen after few weeks of DK2.

Another problem is VR is way too demanding for P3D. Had to turn down so many settings and the picture quality really took a hit. Don't know whether new video cards like GTX 1080 will help. I dream the days that we can stay flying completely in the VR and use our own fingers to flip those virtual switches.

Just looked at FlyInside website and they already have Leap Motion support so you can use your hands to operate inside VC. That's impressive...  

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I believe most of our old sims will prove unsuitable fps-wise, for VR, without some serious trickery.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Having the Oculus DK2 but I'm waiting for the 2nd generation 4K screen VR. I can't stand the 1080p screen after few weeks of DK2.

Another problem is VR is way too demanding for P3D. Had to turn down so many settings and the picture quality really took a hit. Don't know whether new video cards like GTX 1080 will help. I dream the days that we can stay flying completely in the VR and use our own fingers to flip those virtual switches.

Just looked at FlyInside website and they already have Leap Motion support so you can use your hands to operate inside VC. That's impressive...  

CV1 is vastly superior to DK2.  DK2 was a development kit but CV1 is completely different animal.  I can't wait to see when CV2 or other manufacturers are going to do in the upcoming years.

Totally agre with the above.

The DK2 was a big jump on the DK1 but to be frank, the CV1 is two generational jump on from the DK2. The buiult in mike and headphones, adjustability and 4K screens are simply amazing. Worth the wait almost... I was right at the back of the queue for Pre-Orders.

Leap Motion is waiting to be stuck on the front as the developer mount (different from the DK2 one) has just arrived too.

My Winters are mostly Standby weeks where I have to be away from family in my lodgings so Dan's magic and DCS will keep me busy on those long winter nights.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

and 4K screens

The what?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

CV1 is like 1200x1080 each eye? I'll still wait for the 4K screen though. It's great to know that CV1 is a big improvement over DK2.  

I firmly believe VR is the future. The looming concern is that once the screen resolution and hand operation get all addressed in the near future, then how soon we'll be able to run P3d in its full glory at 60fps in VR. I hope in five years maybe.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11