Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

Yoke choices

I'm thinking of getting this for the 737PMDG. Is it a good choice in your opinion? maybe for few more $ there is one that suits better the 737? 

I would also like to know if  I will be able to program the throttle levers as follows for FSX: left lever: spoilers, middle lever: left engine, right lever right engine.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

thank you

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the Saitek Yoke and throttles. They are a great economy choice. You can take the tops off the levers, and add a more  'airline style' set up. I have had mine for years and they are still going. I think I have seen people add an extra throttle, side by side and then you have a two throttle, spoiler, and flap set up. 

Never had the privilege of owning something better. But the Saitek has never let me down.

I'm thinking of getting this for the 737PMDG. Is it a good choice in your opinion? maybe for few more $ there is one that suits better the 737? 

I would also like to know if  I will be able to program the throttle levers as follows for FSX: left lever: spoilers, middle lever: left engine, right lever right engine.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

thank you

The "Saitek PRO Flight Yoke" you have listed does not turn a full 180 degrees, Only 45 degrees left and 45 degrees right with a total of 90 degrees if that matters. That was a deciding factor for me in which prompted me not to purchase. http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

This yoke turns 90 degrees left and 90 degrees right for a total 180 degrees: "Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke System" which I just purchased a month ago. Works well. About $U.S.284 with the throttles on Amazon. Hope this helps.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cessnayoke.html

Michael Warren

• Upvote 1

You can get the Goflight Yoke that is modeled after a 737 yoke and is all metal.

There is also the VRINSIGHT Yoke that is very good aswell and it's cheaper than the go flight but not based on the 737

The one Yoke which I have heard nothing but superlatives about is the Virtual Fly "Yoko the Yoke". I have not seen one negative review about this product from anyone. 

Given that I am coming from an Extreme 3d joystick a good but budget solution seems to be the http://www.saitek.co...cessnayoke.html with 90 degrees turn/side plus the throttle system! 

The Pro Cessna Saitek is what I use and it is superior to the first Saitek yoke you mentioned in your first post.

I have a PFC Beechcraft yoke with all sensors -  and to date, still consider it the best upgrade  investment i have ever made for flightsim.  If you have the budget, spend the extra money.  For the more expensive options,  carefully consider before you buy.  I consider PFC to be one of the best.

It's pricey, but a worthwhile investment.

I have a PFC Beechcraft yoke with all sensors -  and to date, still consider it the best upgrade  investment i have ever made for flightsim.  If you have the budget, spend the extra money.  For the more expensive options,  carefully consider before you buy.  I consider PFC to be one of the best.

It's pricey, but a worthwhile investment.

+1 I had both the Saitek yokes. I thought they were both terrible and returned both. Spend the extra money if you can.

Check out the link I sent you. Got mine yesterday. It is amazing! I can actually calibrate the tensions to match that of the real airplane. They even provide a guide telling you the different tension values of a wide variety of aircraft. Very reasonably priced as well!

The Pro Cessna Saitek is what I use and it is superior to the first Saitek yoke you mentioned in your first post.

Reading some reviews on Amazon..... is it true that "clicks" in place when centered (like a "detent" ?!?!?) making minor adjustments difficult especially while landing? maybe that user got a defective one....I find it hard to believe that there is a "center detent' on the yoke 

The yoke does self-center. When it self centers I hear absolutely no click.  I don't wish to start a war of semantics here but I do not refer to this self-centering design as a detent. In my thinking a detent is something like a notch or groove that a bump or pawl settles into (see link below). This yokes self centering does not engage like that. It just returns to rest if you let go. It takes some minor effort to move it from that rest, but it happens smoothly.  There is nothing to overcome but the inherent resistance.  I have no difficulty adjusting the software sensitivity curve setting and null width of the yoke and thus have no issue with minor adjustments.  We use so much autopilot control these days in all honesty I most often use the yoke to rotate on takeoff and flare on landing.  I have no issue with either.  I do use the yoke exclusively when sightseeing in small GA aircraft and still have no issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pawl&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&imgil=sXDLPsUFjzsxcM%253A%253BCWmGm9i0HBRKUM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.automotioncomponents.co.uk%25252Fen%25252Fcatalog%25252Frotary%25252Fother-rotary-parts%25252Fratchet-pawls%25252Fr4040&source=iu&pf=m&fir=sXDLPsUFjzsxcM%253A%252CCWmGm9i0HBRKUM%252C_&usg=__PZeDghNUmkXvWGxKkeLEosDWA1E%3D&ved=0ahUKEwik8tKNgfnOAhXLqh4KHRKfDzoQyjcIPg&ei=0M3NV6TKBsvVepK-vtAD#imgrc=sXDLPsUFjzsxcM%3A

All the Saitek yokes have those terrible detents which makes it almost impossible to perform a smooth landing. I enhanced mine using the following guide:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/351529-finally-a-fix-for-the-saitek-pro-flight-yoke-pitch-axis/

Now it is very nice (apart from the fact that it is still plastic). Before doing the mod, I was thinking about getting the Yoko the Yoke. So if you can afford it then buy the Yoko. If not, the Saitek with the mod.

Before you convince yourself that you need to modify the yoke to get realism I recommend you read this message, found in an earlier topic here on Avism on page 3 of this topic. I have quoted it also.

Hi Guys,

I am a line pilot for a jet chart company, ATP and I was a CFI in days gone buy.  I fly the Simuflite (KDAL) or Flight Safety simulators a bunch. 

Now I have an X52 as well as a relatively new Saitek Pro Flight Yoke.  I find the detent not annoying at all.  I have never flown an aircraft where you would pull back on the controls and have them merely stay there.  IN FACT they will spring back to center just like the Yoke or X52 does.  It is the Aerodynamics (Positive Dynamic Stability) that brings us back to SnL over time.  Unless you are in a fighter and then it's Negative Dynamic Stability controlled by onboard computers then.

Sol to have totall accurate feedback would be costly.  To me Saitek has done a good job since (as all of us simmers know) there is a huge plethera of models out there for us to fly.

What you guys might want to do is go into FSUIPC registered versions and calibrate the yoke so that you don't move the yoke so much to turn, climb, etc  How you do that is to move the yoke back maybe 1/4 travel or whatever your needs are and press the max button or min button etc wash rinse repeat.

Another item may be of interest, is that many of the jets out there are hydraulically operated.  They have a system onboard called an Arthur Q (google it) and that gives us "feel" ha ha so to speak in the cockpit.  So to expect feedback from a controller here in FSX is a little odd.  To expect NO feel is simply gaming then at its best I'd go fly Xbox at that point.  Real World.  The feedback you feel from a Piper Navajo is a world of difference away from say a Cessna Caravan.  Both of which I have over 1,000 PIC.  Not trying to toot the horn here but simply giving you some real world input.

On a last note,

I was just speaking with the techs out at Simuflight Dallas while I was there for training in April.  The programming involved to give us the full motion experience takes (servers) to get it even close to being right.  And I still laugh when I train at the 1/4 to 1/2 second delay for the motion to catch up with my control inputs.  :)

I sorta like my cheap springs in my new Saitek Wonder box!  :)

I would bet that everyone wants the controls to "feel" like they feel while on the ramp.  My thoughts are Saitek designed this yoke to give the BEST of all realms as it cannot be all things to all models to all people and all their wants wishes and desires.  My two cents.

Have a great day. :)

Yes. The Pro Flight Cessna version of the yoke.  And per self centering, some sim pilots do not like it but to others it is not a big deal.  As you read in the long quote the self centering in and of itself is not a physical action characteristic of a real world yoke, but is somewhat similar to what happens in real life from in flight natural forces acting on control surfaces.

I watched about four videos showing various mods to Saitek yokes.  I was stunned that after the effort (and risk) that three of the four methods still appeared to self center.  

Yes. The Pro Flight Cessna version of the yoke. And per self centering, some sim pilots do not like it but to others it is not a big deal. As you read in the long quote the self centering in and of itself is not a physical action characteristic of a real world yoke, but is somewhat similar to what happens in real life from in flight natural forces acting on control surfaces.

I watched about four videos showing various mods to Saitek yokes. I was stunned that after the effort (and risk) that three of the four methods still appeared to self center.

There is a difference between the annoying detents of the cheap yokes and self-centering. Of course, the yoke still self-centers after the mod, but the detents are gone (like the more expensive ones which don't have any detents). Have you actually ever flown a real plane or a Level-D sim? Or at least ever touched one of the high quality yokes? Or are you just one of those experts around here who claim to know everything by citing opinions they found somewhere on the net?

There is a difference between the annoying detents of the cheap yokes and self-centering. Of course, the yoke still self-centers after the mod, but the detents are gone (like the more expensive ones which don't have any detents). Have you actually ever flown a real plane or a Level-D sim? Or at least ever touched one of the high quality yokes? Or are you just one of those experts around here who claim to know everything by citing opinions they found somewhere on the net?

No, I have not touched one of the $800 to $2,,500 high quality yokes. The increment of difference vs the increment in value provides me an opportunity to spend my flight sim budget on items that provide higher increments of difference for me, like high quality scenery. Yes my yoke self centers and in a somewhat pronounced manner. But I can still easily control with it and the difference is not to me worth hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars.  I do not project that as an opinion everyone else should have. Perhaps that is the difference here.

I have actually flown and held multi and instrument ratings.  And yes, it has been now 32 years since I last took full control of an  aircraft, though I ride right seat occasionally with a friend in his C310.  

Perhaps if you have a video or still photos of one of these yokes opened up you can reveal the detents you are referring to. I viewed four yesterday and did not see detents.  Only a sliding shaft and springs.  As I stated in an earlier post, I asked not to be drawn into a discussion of semantics.

Detents:

https://www.google.com/search?q=detent&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiyjeSY1_rOAhVHdR4KHczvByMQsAQIQg#imgrc=GV6UnhB6bZzxJM%3A

Have you actually ever flown a real plane or a Level-D sim? Or at least ever touched one of the high quality yokes? Or are you just one of those experts around here who claim to know everything by citing opinions they found somewhere on the net?

Kinda uncalled for...

• Upvote 2

I'm always amazed at how nasty a turn so many of these posts take, over what at the end of the day is a hobby and simulation. I swear, ISIS isn't as fanatical as some of you guys...

As to carlito777 - curious what your credentials are? I think your tone was a bit rude.

I'm always amazed at how nasty a turn so many of these posts take, over what at the end of the day is a hobby and simulation. I swear, ISIS isn't as fanatical as some of you guys...

As to carlito777 - curious what your credentials are? I think your tone was a bit rude.

Instead of revisiting and potentially fanning the flames, let's throw the requisite water and dirt on the ashes and move on.

Full names in the forum, please.

• Upvote 3