Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

REX/ACTIVE SKY PRO AND CONS

Ah yes, brain fart on my side. Sorry.

No problem thanks for looking into it anyway.

See post #4 of this thread - http://www.hifisimte...lobal-automatic. Maybe you need to change your cloud resolution. And these two for FSX - http://www.simforums...topic29041.html. http://www.simforums...opic36586.html.

I think my next upgrade should be to invest time into maximizing the performance. I'm happy now but my standards are low. If that manual gains the FPS to what it should be then it would be worthwhile. 

2GB Radeon R9 270X
Windows 10
SSD main drive with a second drive non SSD 
8 core 4GHZ

how can I tell if the REX textures are properly installed?

?

spacer.png

I've been using Active Sky for ages so I don't know (or really care, just bought AS16) but... does REX support the PMDG W/X radar? Someone on the fence might like to know.

For PMDG you need either ASN or AS16 running the weather for the radar to work properly. The cloud textures being from REX, other vendors or freeware are not relevant. All that matters is the weather engine being ASN or AS16.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't know of any technical way to test the texture installation. If you received no error messages when selecting and installing textures and they look good to you, I would say they are installed correctly.

go  to your  rex  folder  under  not  at my pc,  under  logfiles  or  some  thing  similair  to this   it  will tell you  what  texture  and  what time  you have  installed  rex  texture

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have Active Sky Next which gives me weather radar and cloud textures. Why do I need a texture add-on like REX or ASCA, or aren't the ASN clouds real textures? Does REX and ASCA simply make the cloud textures look better?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but why do you need to over complicate your set ups by learning additional operating manuals with their own tweaks/forums and set-ups; as well as the additional expense involved?

Bernard Walford

As a new P3D user I am looking to get as16 but also want textures. The as16 clouds are a full texture set though are they?

spacer.png

As a new P3D user I am looking to get as16 but also want textures. The as16 clouds are a full texture set though are they?

AS16 is a weather engine only with a lot of bells and whistles. For the textures you would need ASCA and a REX application. You could use ASCA for the sky and clouds and REX for the water, runway surfaces, taxiways, refraction, airport lighting, etc.

Why do I need a texture add-on like REX or ASCA

To replace FSX default sky, clouds, runway surfaces, taxiway surfaces, signs, refraction, airport landing lighting, grass, etc.

I am crazy happy with AS16 and ASCA. Dodging VERY realistic thunderstorms going into LGA right now with the Aerosoft A319. The WX radar is very accurate!. One issue tho, I do get Texture failures on long flights. I just kill ASCA and restart. Hifi is working on that and some startup issues. Still, I love it!!!!

Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!