Sign in to follow this  
Manny

REX Major announcement

I have no doubt about the quality of the textures per se.

But i woudn't spend more than 10 euros on such addon, and i won't probably buy it either. It has multiple reasons:

I do fly into default airports now and then, e.g., when it's places where I've been in real life lacking detailed treatment by a 3rd party. Don't you agree the default textures, notably the hangars, are mega-ugly?

I have been using Zinertek so far which already are an improvement by 100 %. I'll judge later if the REX product is that much better, and of course it depends on the price, if I will get it. From what I've seen so far they are quite another step further, though.

But in any case I would avoid having to place my plane into a default airport ever again. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have no doubt about the quality of the textures per se.

But i woudn't spend more than 10 euros on such addon, and i won't probably buy it either. It has multiple reasons:

1) I want to fly and i don't spend much time on the ground, but when i do, i am busy with the plane itself and not looking around much

2) i feel like the amount of texture sets will inflate the price (since surely it increased the work load for them) but it won't increase my satisfaction. Only way would be to continuously change the texture set which is boring, plus it's not like you will find different big airports with different texture sets. As far as i understood it all big terminals will have the same kind of texture you selected, am i right?

Thank you for your thoughts here.  Let me try to address your points here.

First, I am not going to try to convince you to purchase the product and I understand you are just expressing your thoughts here.

In regards to question #1 - each person is different, but the emersion of the surroundings is important.  Face it the current default look horrible.  This product takes it to a whole new level.  I can't tell you how many times I  have flown into a default airport and felt like - this ruined it.  But with the new textures/lighting/ground models - it makes the experience so much better.  When I got my first hands on the whole package to review it - it was an "AH" moment for me.  It was the part we have been missing from our REX products.

In regards to question # 2 - again the product will be reasonably, but fairly priced.  We do not gouge our customers.  Remember, you will not ALWAYS see the same thing at every single airport.  I am not saying you will not see repeats, but there will be variety.  It is also not just for BIG airports, it is for the small ones also.  I really want you to take time to review the website (http://www.rexworldwideairports.com) - IF you feel like it to grasp what has been done with this package.

If you still fee the same, no worries. 

I still don't see the BUY button.

We are still a little ways out.  We still have to get all the package information to the vendors and finalize the installation package. 

• Upvote 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Looks sexy and sleek.  I will snag a copy.   I use SbuilderX to make custom General buildings all the time for my airports.  Those buildings can be assigned texture maps.   I assume this product is going to replace those maps?  If that's the case then you can certainly customize your own airports with different textures, as long as you have access to those textures in the generic building maker.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I do fly into default airports now and then, e.g., when it's places where I've been in real life lacking detailed treatment by a 3rd party. Don't you agree the default textures, notably the hangars, are mega-ugly?

I have been using Zinertek so far which already are an improvement by 100 %. I'll judge later if the REX product is that much better, and of course it depends on the price, if I will get it. From what I've seen so far they are quite another step further, though.

But in any case I would avoid having to place my plane into a default airport ever again. 

Kind regards, Michael

Thank you for your kind words. 

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Looks sexy and sleek.  I will snag a copy.   I use SbuilderX to make custom General buildings all the time for my airports.  Those buildings can be assigned texture maps.   I assume this product is going to replace those maps?  If that's the case then you can certainly customize your own airports with different textures, as long as you have access to those textures in the generic building maker.

Hi Brian, yes I believe so. Interesting indeed!

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

During the video presentation, someone asked the question whether we would still see floating taxiway and runway lights with the new product. But the answer was not clear to me (something like "it's up to the user" I think). Is it a yes or a no?

During the video presentation, someone asked the question whether we would still see floating taxiway and runway lights with the new product. But the answer was not clear to me (something like "it's up to the user" I think). Is it a yes or a no?

I am not sure I understand.  To clarify this is a texture enhancement package and doesn't change ANY of the building models.  The models changed are the ground vehicles (not all, but we are working on it).

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Kind regards, Michael

Oh, but i agree with you. Of course default airports are ugly and decades old. But say, they have another product coming if i remember well which will affect the autogen. It would do the same thing (improving it) but i would be more keen on buying that because the autogen is everywhere and i can "encounter" it more often and spend more time looking at it than what i would do in an airport looking at airport buildings

Thank you for your thoughts here.  Let me try to address your points here.

First, I am not going to try to convince you to purchase the product and I understand you are just expressing your thoughts here.

In regards to question #1 - each person is different, but the emersion of the surroundings is important.  Face it the current default look horrible.  This product takes it to a whole new level.  I can't tell you how many times I  have flown into a default airport and felt like - this ruined it.  But with the new textures/lighting/ground models - it makes the experience so much better.  When I got my first hands on the whole package to review it - it was an "AH" moment for me.  It was the part we have been missing from our REX products.

In regards to question # 2 - again the product will be reasonably, but fairly priced.  We do not gouge our customers.  Remember, you will not ALWAYS see the same thing at every single airport.  I am not saying you will not see repeats, but there will be variety.  It is also not just for BIG airports, it is for the small ones also.  I really want you to take time to review the website (http://www.rexworldwideairports.com) - IF you feel like it to grasp what has been done with this package.

If you still fee the same, no worries. 

We are still a little ways out.  We still have to get all the package information to the vendors and finalize the installation package. 

First of all, thank you for the answer. And keep in mind that, while i do have some doubts on the product idea per se, i do not have doubts about the quality of the work you did nor the effort you put in the products. I bought happily the Soft Clouds and it was well worth it.

As i said to pmb too, there is no doubt the default textures are old and ugly. And i am sure your product improves it. But from my point of view, i am not sure it would be worth to have a cool looking airport because i woudn't spend much time on it. I know i am a bit drastic on it, but that is also why i never bought an airport scenery and i probably never will.

I checked the site properly, and when i mentioned Big Airports i was just making an example regarding the fact that, the same type of building, distributed in different airports, will still use the same HD improved texture. So there won't be the same exact type of building with different textures. You can change the set of texture for that building, but once you are in game the same objects will all have that single texture. That was my point.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Hi Francesco,

In regards to your last statement, the simulator shares textures for different areas on buildings worldwide. What you would think would be applied across the board is not so. We have done a great job of categorizing and putting this all into perspective, however, since we're unable to test all 24,000 airports it's going to be an ongoing development process to tighten down this extensive web. However, this all kind of works in our favor because you get such a diversity now. At any rate, even as we wrap up the initial RTM version for release, our team is furthering the experience with new tech, content, models etc., which of course will be free to our customers. The program will have an automatic update process which checks your current version agains the newest and will advise you when ready to update.

To add to my above statement, the download for the program will be approximately 3GB, containing over 6GB in content.

• Upvote 3

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Boy, it would be nice to have real looking lights that didn't float. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Looks to be a fantastic product. I have a question regarding airport selection. Do the texture modifications (terminal, hangars, jetways, etc.) apply to all 24,000+ airports at the same time, or you can select a specific default airport and apply the mods to that specific airport separately?.

Cheers, Ed

And just in case it's not possible to apply the textures modifications to a one specific airport, but to the whole world at the same time, how would be a difference between the different airports, because I fear they all will look to be very similar (for example, if you apply a "United" hangar theme, you'll only see United hangars in every airport?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Boy, it would be nice to have real looking lights that didn't float. 

Well that would be in the hands of LM - we all know this has been an issue forever in the core sim - FSX & P3D - has nothing to do with this new offering from REX - I hear yah Greg its annoying 

Rich Sennett

I'm out.

Me too. Don't fly into any default airports any longer but looks interesting for those that do.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Me too. Don't fly into any default airports any longer but looks interesting for those that do.

Hi Jim,

The whole point is so they no longer appear as default. The screenshots contained on http://www.rexworldwideairports.com are all "default" airports.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com