Sign in to follow this  

Orbx: new rules

Just to be clear......the backup downloads of the FSS licensed products that I have would not work if I tried to reinstall them? I need to download the ORBx Direct versions?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher:

"We have requested Adrian at FSS enable the validation server for all your old FSS wrapper installers so you can re-install from those at any time. Again, this is a temporary measure. We have not yet heard back from Adrian regarding this request but I am sure it won't be a major technical issue for him to implement."

So I have KPSP and ORBX Global on V2. To get V3 I need to download it from ORBX, transfer my licenses, then reinstall it over the top of my existing installation?

What is this one download per day thing? So if I reformat my PC and need to obtain Global and KPSP minutes after one another, am I not allowed to do so?

I haven't made the switch yet so forgive me for the questions. I tried to login to ORBX but I forgot my password and have to wait 15 minutes to reset my account...

No, if your installations are current, there's no need to re-install.  FTX Central 3 should recognize your current installations once it's set up.

That said, there have been cases (including mine) where FTX Central 3 prompted me to install an update when none was needed.  I suspect that's a bug that needs addressing.  Might have been better if they'd acknowledged it in their e-mail.  In practice you can ignore those prompts if you know your setup is current.  Hope this helps.

I like it. I followed the very clear instructions on how to migrate my account, and everything worked flawlessly on day 1 of release.

39 products. No issues. 200 GB of backup storage is now available again, since it's no longer necessary to backup the installers and obsess over maintaining a library of updated installers.

Well done Orbx.

I wish REX and A2A would do the same.

I wish REX and A2A would do the same.

Agree.

• Upvote 1

For those who wonder how the heck they are going to reinstall all their ORBX products in case of a sim reinstall or a new PC or whatever when there is a daily limit: John just posted this on the Orbx forum:

There is no need to backup installers if you backup your entire ORBX directory before a sim re-install, system rebuild or OS re-install. Just copy the Orbx folder back into the sim root folder, run FTX Central V3 and everything is taken care of automatically. The only thing that needs a re-install is FTX Global because it replaces default textures.

As I've said many times, this is the preferred way to reinstall ORBX on a sim and FTX Central V3 is designed to detect everything in the ORBX directory and do all the management for you. That's the beauty of the new system.

Life couldn't be easier. Not only do you not need backups of installers, you don't even need to redownload installers for your products when doing a reinstall or even a new system build. Praise be FTXC3.

As a business, the customer always comes first.

Not when the customer hits the panic button and unnecessarily undermines the ability to make money.  Something has to give.

And seriously, do you feel oppressed by this temporary measure?

Not when the customer hits the panic button and unnecessarily undermines the ability to make money.  Something has to give.

And seriously, do you feel oppressed by this temporary measure?

Panic?  Who said anything about panic.  Since I know you are a part of the ORBX forum (you posted the exact same response there as you did here), you will know that it wasn't panic that drove the bandwidth up, it was the convenience of allowing backups.  Since John was gracious enough to provide insight into properly backing up the PRBX folder, that in itself will allay any fears or paranoia.

My statement about the customer comes first was meant for the fact of how John delivered the bad news.  While it is fine to speak one's mind, not everyone has the same views nor the same sense of humor.  Since no tone exists in emails (or even posts in forum's for that matter), whatever he said, he probably meant it differently.

As for feeling oppressed?  What exactly made you come to the conclusion I was being or feeling oppressed?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Panic?  Who said anything about panic.  What exactly made you come to the conclusion I was being or feeling oppressed?

JV mentioned panic. And I agree with him. Panic over backups (which I have witnessed in the Orbx forum) drove many people to re-download their entire library at one time, when it's not necessary. 

What exactly made you come to the conclusion I was being or feeling oppressed?

I am just wondering how this download limit affects your experience with Orbx. If it's simply JV's attitude you have a problem with, the I apologize for assuming too much. You are not the first one to take issues with his PR practices. You won't be the last.

JV mentioned panic. And I agree with him. Panic over backups (which I have witnessed in the Orbx forum) drove many people to re-download their entire library at one time, when it's not necessary. 

I am just wondering how this download limit affects your experience with Orbx. If it's simply JV's attitude you have a problem with, the I apologize for assuming too much. You are not the first one to take issues with his PR practices. You won't be the last.

I had an exchange with him on the PR topic. Lets give him the credit that he has engaged a lively and useful debate.

Was there a panic ? People like to have their zips, they easily could with C3 so why not. You queue downloads and go to sleep.  Too simple, C3 takes care of everything. Except that ... 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think he may have injected a little drama with his statements, perhaps to shock the community into freezing for a moment and listen.  I take issue with the way this was all handled from the start.  ORBX advertised their store for a few months now, and I still don't see how he or anyone else in the company could not have seen something like this happening.  He later made a statement about (paraphrasing) "not leaving the FSS license server on a little longer" and I would agree with that.  It was arrogant presumption that the whole community would embrace the new system, store, payments, downloads and on top of that, have a slow and orderly download and install process on their machines.  He then turns around and has the audacity to make these claims to us and make it sound like it's our fault, like we're supposed to feel guilty, say we're sorry and promise not to do it again.

Look, he is rectifying the situation and I figure it will take longer than a day.  His mass email is going to have repercussions for a while as everyone from around the world plays catch up, goes to the thread and complains.

The download limit doesn't affect me currently, as I am not in front of my sim right now.  I had, however, the plan to get more of my ORBX content installed this evening, but ORBX put the brakes on that.  Worst case, I revert to my archived downloads and install that way.  As I said before, the way John delivered this message was a little over the top...not necessarily for me personally, but I know how some folks can let their emotions get the best of them, so I knew people would be upset.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Was there a panic ?

You can read through the support forum at Orbx if you wish.

At the end of the day I hope this settles down and things are actually easier in the future. It seems to be already, in my case.

I might not need to make backups if I have migrated from FSS to OrbxDirect, but if you're anything like me, you know one of the first prudent things to do would be reestablish your backups!!  I'm not surprised in the slightest that people are fetching their backup copies immediately - I'm frankly a bit surprised that Orbx was caught off guard by that behavior.

All that said, the seemingly new information released earlier today about backing up your ..\Orbx directory to someplace safe and letting FTX Central v3 "do the rest" may be a welcome stopgap solution for those hellbent on insuring the safety of their installations. (link) (adding another link, as they've created a mini-FAQ on the topic...)

This too shall pass...

So I can backup my entire ORBx folder, format the hard drive, reinstall Windows, reinstall P3D v3, copy the backed up ORBx folder to the P3D v3 root folder, run FTX Central 3, and everything will be automatically restored and ready for the simulator? That sounds good to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png