Sign in to follow this  
harrry

FTX Central 3 Topic

And at 98% after 31 hours, suddenly resume was no longer supported by the server, and my download halted at 7427,888 k. This is insane.  We were promised that we could download back ups. PO'ed

Since when  the new  version of ftxv3   came  out  users  came  out  from everywhere  backing  up  things,  wonder  if they backed  up  before the  ftxv3   came  out is  the  qusetion  and  why  now  after  the  release?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Since when  the new  version of ftxv3   came  out  users  came  out  from everywhere  backing  up  things,  wonder  if they backed  up  before the  ftxv3   came  out is  the  qusetion  and  why  now  after  the  release?

i'm sorta puzzled about it too. it's like a run on the banks or something haha!

i like the new system, it's just like steam.. keeping gigs of backup files around just seems like an anachronism. they have nice servers that do that for me.

besides...the last time i reinstalled, half of my installers were so obselete that it was easier to redownload updated ones anyway.. why try and track a bunch of patches and versions, i aint got time for that. i have leftover mashed potatoes and gravy to eat!!!

anyway good luck to those having trouble!

cheers

-andy crosby

i like the new system, it's just like steam.. keeping gigs of backup files around just seems like an anachronism. they have nice servers that do that for me.

besides...the last time i reinstalled, half of my installers were so obselete that it was easier to redownload updated ones anyway.. why try and track a bunch of patches and versions, i aint got time for that.

I agree. I also absolutely love Steam (get a new computer, reinstall games without searching for (new) files and you can even proceed the game from where you left it! Awesome!) so I also love the idea behind OrbxDirect. In the past I did keep backups of my downloaded FSS files (as I keep backups of all other downloads) but before reinstalling I always looked for the latest versions and downloads online and after downloading them I removed the old files and kept a backup of the new files but only just to be sure because usually I would download new installers the next time. I never downloaded anything ONLY to have it as backup: I simply saved the installers I actually needed. So I totally like the new system.

Having said that I have to add that I totally do not like the current speeds of OrbxDirect. I am not looking forward to a complete reinstall. Things seem a bit buggy. But I still do not plan to create backups of everything. I rather wait a bit longer for things to get installed.

And at 98% after 31 hours, suddenly resume was no longer supported by the server, and my download halted at 7427,888 k. This is insane.  We were promised that we could download back ups. PO'ed

The manual download option sucks big time. You are actually better off using Central and download things the new way. I haven't been able to complete a download using the manual method (although I tried it only twice). Central is 'faster' than the manual download and more secure, it seems to me.

TAKE NOTE (!!!!!!!) that when you use Central 3 the progress bar does not tell you what is actually happening!!! This week I installed OpenLC and I thought the download was stuck and things were going wrong and so I restarted Central and tried to resume the download: it seemed to start all over again after which it got stuck once more... and suddenly the addon was installed! Turns out that:

1. the progress bar does always start all over again because Central is checking what you already have downloaded, so it doesn't mean it actually is restarting the entire download, but more important:

2. when download actually is complete and Central is unzipping things and installing things you will STILL see the progress bar with a download speed of 0 Kb! So it SEEMS the download is stuck but it has already finished and it is installing things. Central does NOT tell you this!

So be aware of that. I posted about this on the Orbx forum and JV the next build of Central has this fixed already. That will solve and prevent a LOT of support questions, I think.

I'm trying to get a backup.  I deleted my FSS files, because I wouldn't need them. Four or five recent purchases never made it onto DVD. To use FTX Central I would have to uninstall Germany North, and download to back up and install. I don't trust OrbX enough to risk a working install.

Just tried again, Getright got 1.9 kbs and 1153 hours. Manual download of Germany on a 7mg DSL.

Sue

I appreciate many of you taking one for the team.  Your issues have solidified it for me NOT to get rid of my original FSS files.  I have a rather large external HDD that I have my sim content sitting on, so for now, I have my own FTX server at the ready...at least until they decide to turn off the FSS license server again. :(

I do feel for you all though, as the manual backup seems to still have that issue with throttling bandwidth.  When John V said it would be temporary, he meant it.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Never backed up an Orbx product in my life. Never felt any need to.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

I bought two new airports from current sales. It seems that I have to install FTX3 to get them installed. Does the FTX3 "kill" the DVD installations? Is there a way to install them and keeping FTX2 and avoid insertion etc. problems?

I bought two new airports from current sales. It seems that I have to install FTX3 to get them installed. Does the FTX3 "kill" the DVD installations? Is there a way to install them and keeping FTX2 and avoid insertion etc. problems?

FTXC3 won't kill what is already installed. However, you won't be able to update the dvd addons. In the near future you will be able to transfer your dvd license to OrbxDirect/FTXC3 so you can throw them away and do everything from within FTXC3. FTXC will see the already installed addons, afaik, but I don't know about insertion problems: I never had them.

You might want to make a backup of your Orbx folder, just in case something DOES go wrong, then you at least can restore your dvd FTX addons. But I don't expect any problems, really. (Although you never know with computers... :wink: )

Central 3 has been updated and now shows what is happening in the background when you install something. Take note that this information is only shows on the page of the addon you are installing (so not on the page that shows all downloads). So when you go somewhere else in Central while you are installing something you have to return to the product page within Central to see what's actually happening.

I just gave it a try by installing Northern California and it works like a charm: you see when it is downloading, unzipping, installing, cleaning up, etc. Great improvement. And btw speeds are great today: California was downloaded AND installed within 10 minutes. I seem to recall it took just as long (of not longer) to install the addon with the FSS files in the past...!

Speaking of background...

Is the new Central running in the background as a process or does it function like a program, i.e. only when the user chooses to use it? Just wondering if I go simming and get slow or interrupted, because of an update?

Is the new Central running in the background as a process or does it function like a program, i.e. only when the user chooses to use it? Just wondering if I go simming and get slow or interrupted, because of an update?

Functions  like  a program,  doesn't  run  in the background,   its  no  different  than the previous  ftx  central  so  don't  know  why  you  confused?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If your orbx stuff is still with FSS you can download electronic versions of your old dvd addons for free with new keys.  I did this some time ago for all my old dvd purchases.  No idea how this will work with the new setup  - no intention of going there until the dust settles.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."