Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What do you miss about the old days?

Anyone remember the incredible contributions made by Alessandro Savarese and Alessandro Simonato who created the ISD Project? They produced some absolutely INCREDIBLE freeware scenery for Italy, for FS2002 and FS2004, some of which was converted for FSX.

They were from a time where most everything was freeware, made by people highly devoted to improving the quality of our flight sim experience for no other reason than their love for flight sim and others who felt the same way.

Some of their scenery was even better than most payware today, despite it being for older sims and not having the graphics tools of today. In fact, I still use a number of them.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

- Buying a game and owning it.

- Answering your phone and actually talking to someone.

- Being able to fix my car myself, now I am lucky if can find the spark plugs.

- Mom and Pop stores. Remember the little grocery store on the corner?

- Hanging with the guys at the A@W drive in.

- Cars that looked cool and had style and when a Chevy looked different than a Ford.

- Young love, need I say more?

Good ones!

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Remember when computer games came in full fat cardboard boxes, with massive paperback manuals...

Yes, I would read those manuals cover to cover, and still have most of them - safely stored away, in a cardboard box in the basement,  where I cannot find them anymore  :P

• Upvote 3

Bert

That time before I was replaced by google, when knowing the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit or the ability to pencil out cubic feet to gallons on the top of a cardboard box with a lumber crayon actually increased your value as an employee rather than causing people to laugh at you.

• Upvote 7

Aw, were the good old days really so good? Remember the Viet Nam war,Watts and Detroit riots, Kent State, several assassinations, the Cold War, recessions, job droughts. Remember being young and not knowing which direction your life should go.  

Heck, live for today. I,m retired, sleep as late as I want to, have four wonderful grand kids, and this great technology that makes flight sim possible. At 64, medical tech does a good job of helping me stay around a while. Back in the good ole days I would be an old old man at 64.

• Upvote 2

Vic green

Aw, were the good old days really so good? Remember the Viet Nam war,Watts and Detroit riots, Kent State, several assassinations, the Cold War, recessions, job droughts. Remember being young and not knowing which direction your life should go.  

Heck, live for today. I,m retired, sleep as late as I want to, have four wonderful grand kids, and this great technology that makes flight sim possible. At 64, medical tech does a good job of helping me stay around a while. Back in the good ole days I would be an old old man at 64.

Some things get better, some don't. It all depends on the lottery ticket you were given at birth. Good to see that some have a winning one - Congrats! 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

That time before I was replaced by google, when knowing the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit or the ability to pencil out cubic feet to gallons on the top of a cardboard box with a lumber crayon actually increased your value as an employee rather than causing people to laugh at you.

+1

/applause

Amen!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Some things are as good as they ever have been,

like sharing heart to heart with people in this thread who have touched my life and made me smile.

This counts a lot :Peace: .

Kind regards,

• Upvote 3

I saw "what do you miss about..." and I KNEW you would reference the old days... that is an amazing question. 

Blockbuster or the video store - It use to be our main date night, going out, getting some food, spend 20 min. strolling the video isles, seeing the people in the store and finally agreeing on what video to take home and watch. Netflix or streaming is absolutely sole-less in comparison.

My dad - He's been gone 11 months, really wish I had more moments with him.

Effortless living - When a kid, you have zero cares or worries; it was all about fun and friends.

Privacy - Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a camera. People are everywhere at all times nowadays it seems.

• Upvote 1

I mostly miss my very large pay packet

not having an aching back

my old spaniel mate "swifty" who seemed to know everything but said nothing and always agreed with me

Very nice and very touching.  you are a good person indeed. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Blockbuster or the video store - It use to be our main date night, going out, getting some food, spend 20 min. strolling the video isles, seeing the people in the store and finally agreeing on what video to take home and watch. Netflix or streaming is absolutely sole-less in comparison.

+1 for sure.  Hadn't really thought about it before, but you're absolutely right.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado