Sign in to follow this  
Macpah

Grab your X-Plane 11 beta, guys!

Well, after fooling around with XP some more I have to say that the daytime flying has its ups and downs (a lot of downs) due to the scenery not being too good but the nighttime flying is totally awesome. Never seen anything like this before. Performance is GREAT at night too LOL A lot better than during daytime. I was blown away with the lighting on the ground... Those little lights aren't hovering bulbs as in P3D but actual little lights! And seeing the lights of my Cessna illuminating the ground... and I was even more blown away when my lights caught a parked airliner...! It looks stunning! Again, P3D doesn't even come CLOSE to this!!! The light is so soft and real! Totally real! In P3D all lights seem to be some sort of stuck texture you move around (looking as it if its 8 bit too) but this... stunning.

So for now I probably will use P3D for daytime flying and XP11 for the other times of day. :wink:

ztd4yr.jpg

Stupid question but why has X-Plane developers elected to use antiquated opengl - nobody has used that in ages as far as I know - directx would have been the wiser choice - maybe I am missing something 

Mac and Linux support for one. If we ever see XP change it's API it will be Vulkan and NOT DirectX since it's not open source.

Tried the Demo...laughed, uninstalled it

Cool story bro.

Tried the Demo, laughed...purchased it.

Well, after fooling around with XP some more I have to say that the daytime flying has its ups and downs (a lot of downs) due to the scenery not being too good but the nighttime flying is totally awesome. Never seen anything like this before. Performance is GREAT at night too LOL A lot better than during daytime. I was blown away with the lighting on the ground... Those little lights aren't hovering bulbs as in P3D but actual little lights! And seeing the lights of my Cessna illuminating the ground... and I was even more blown away when my lights caught a parked airliner...! It looks stunning! Again, P3D doesn't even come CLOSE to this!!! The light is so soft and real! Totally real! In P3D all lights seem to be some sort of stuck texture you move around (looking as it if its 8 bit too) but this... stunning.

So for now I probably will use P3D for daytime flying and XP11 for the other times of day. :wink:

ztd4yr.jpg

Jeroen,  being that this is your first foray...there is so much to read up on...for instance ask Tony about his Norway Pro.  You need to download Mesh HD...cruise XPlane.org....and so on.  My custom folder has 123 added GB's of XP goodness.  You have a journey...to add really great airports and scenery...and most is freeware/donationware.

• Upvote 6

Tried the Demo, laughed...purchased it.

Jeroen,  being that this is your first foray...there is so much to read up on...for instance ask Tony about his Norway Pro.  You need to download Mesh HD...cruise XPlane.org....and so on.  My custom folder has 123 added GB's of XP goodness.  You have a journey...to add really great airports and scenery...and most is freeware/donationware.

I've gone down the Ortho4XP rabbit hole.... I now have close to 2TB of scenery! Looks amazing.

Yes, I am going to look at Mesh HD (although I read it hurts performance a bit) and I already new about Norway Pro (of which an easy to install new version will be released soon). Lost of things to learn indeed. The main thing I have to find out is which source can deliver good Norwegian data for Ortho4XP: it seems that is lacking a bit... If I could the southern part of Norway (up to Trondheim is good enough) in a good quality I would be very happy already.

Is there anyway to use mouse look or something like it?

Mouse pointer on screen, right click said mouse, move mouse. Or do you mean something else?

Is there anyway to use mouse look or something like it?

Yes, right click to move view. C activates free camera, shift-9 I believe is to get in the 3d pit. Then CTRL numpad to save views.

Stupid question but why has X-Plane developers elected to use antiquated opengl - nobody has used that in ages as far as I know - directx would have been the wiser choice - maybe I am missing something 

Because it runs on Mac OS and Linux which don't have DirectX

Tony...as a scenery Dev...just curious..how large a figure in GB's is your XP10 Custom Scenery folder?

Not that much. I have about 1.5TB of scenery on an external harddrive, but I only actually have about 20GB at any one time installed :-)

Mac and Linux support for one. If we ever see XP change it's API it will be Vulkan and NOT DirectX since it's not open source.

Cool story bro.

Thanks for info - night time does seem to be the selling feature on this platform no doubt it blows away the others

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Me too. Even didn't tried the demo, laughed and purchased.

• Upvote 5

Because it runs on Mac OS and Linux which don't have DirectX

Not that much. I have about 1.5TB of scenery on an external harddrive, but I only actually have about 20GB at any one time installed :-)

Ah...I see... :)   Thanks for the comeback.  Was curious.  

I just loaded the Kodiak at Mr. X's San Francisco.  You'd think that would kill off the FPS.  BTW...the Kodiak ports over fully operational from your XP10 installation.  Anyway...sitting at the gate....17-25 FPS, which will only get better as I move around.   Anybody that knows Mr X's  offerings, along with the Kodiak (a frame sucker due to the full feature glass cockpit) and that ain't bad!!!! This with XP11 max'ed.

Off for the explore of the XP11 San Fran Bay....

Couple of things I just noticed and reported as bugs:

- All the cars have PBR textures/reflections. Would be nice to get rid of the cars in a preference to get back some performance

- Everything defaults to American units. I can't find a way to change to Celsius and metric.