Sign in to follow this  
Macpah

Grab your X-Plane 11 beta, guys!

Thanks for info - night time does seem to be the selling feature on this platform no doubt it blows away the others

Other selling points are stability with the 64-bit engine, ability to load higher-res terrain mesh (free HD and UHD), no pop-in, and much longer sight distances to the horizon. All of which applies in daytime flying. But yeah, night is sexy in X-Plane..

One other thing... helicopters! X-Plane currently has the best available civilian helicopter models and flight dynamics. I know that's a niche market compared to all the tubeliner pilots around here, but it's still important for some of us.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Can XP11 be installed on an External SS drive?

I understand just the demo is 80 GB ... so was thinking about an external solid state drive (USB cable) maybe 250 or 500 GB?

Maybe the OS drive letters would get changed by unplugging it then it would not work next time I plugged it in to use Xplane again?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Yes no problem. You don't really install X-Plane, it all runs out of a self-contained folder which you can move around

Yes no problem. You don't really install X-Plane, it all runs out of a self-contained folder which you can move around

Tony,

Ok,

thanks for confirming all ok with ext SS drive and XP11 Demo / full version.

Have a good day.

Edit: I am currently on a Steam install with XP10 .. not sure if Steam version can be moved?

Best Regards,

I understand just the demo is 80 GB ... so was thinking about an external solid state drive (USB cable) maybe 250 or 500 GB?

Maybe the OS drive letters would get changed by unplugging it then it would not work next time I plugged it in to use Xplane again?

The demo is 80 with the entire world installed. You don't need all that scenery.

The demo is 80 with the entire world installed. You don't need all that scenery.

Ok,

That is good news .. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Well...all you folks with a bloated XP10 Custom Scenery Folder....you can copy that puppy over to your new XP11.  There hasn't been any of my usual haunts that don't work....XP11 does not crash or give out heart-burn reports about having your goodies within it...and payware planes place nice by a mere drop into the folder, for the ones I have tried to date.

All is good...and over San Franciso (Mr X), max'ed out...with the Kodiak...I was keeping 15 FPS and upwards (always changing, but not below 15) with animation smoothness. So...you seem to lose nothing from your own personal XP 10 Custom Scenery Folder, by moving eventually to XP11 usage, only.

antiquated opengl

The latest Doom game from id uses OpenGL (and Vulcan) and that is one of the best looking and performing games on PC. OpenGL is a great API and certainly not antiquated, although it is not used as much as DirectX.

XP11 looks pretty good during the day, but I wish LR would improve shadow depth for clouds and terrain, but by night it IS the king. XP night lighting is a beast :dance:

Stupid question but why has X-Plane developers elected to use antiquated opengl - nobody has used that in ages as far as I know - directx would have been the wiser choice - maybe I am missing something 

What do you believe would be the advantage on Windows of using DX11 instead of OpenGL?

cheers

Ben

I hope an early update is released for the demo i need to take control.

don't know the benefits of DX vs Opengl but being multi platform DX will not help.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

What do you believe would be the advantage on Windows of using DX11 instead of OpenGL?

cheers

Ben

I believe that was a decision made many versions ago to allow for cross platform support. You can use X-Plane on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Daniel Miller

I believe that was a decision made many versions ago to allow for cross platform support. You can use X-Plane on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Lol i think that is Mr. Ben himself of LR

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

cheers

Ben

Benm one thing that pops to mind is dual GPU set ups but as I understand it, those wouldn't be much help with XP anyways correct? SLI/CF can work with OGL though right?

Well, after fooling around with XP some more I have to say that the daytime flying has its ups and downs (a lot of downs) due to the scenery not being too good but the nighttime flying is totally awesome. Never seen anything like this before. Performance is GREAT at night too LOL A lot better than during daytime. I was blown away with the lighting on the ground... Those little lights aren't hovering bulbs as in P3D but actual little lights! And seeing the lights of my Cessna illuminating the ground... and I was even more blown away when my lights caught a parked airliner...! It looks stunning! Again, P3D doesn't even come CLOSE to this!!! The light is so soft and real! Totally real! In P3D all lights seem to be some sort of stuck texture you move around (looking as it if its 8 bit too) but this... stunning.

So for now I probably will use P3D for daytime flying and XP11 for the other times of day. :wink:

ztd4yr.jpg

That is the best think XP has going for it, night lighting, been that way for years. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....brought across my XP10 Resources Folder, and all my plug in's work...you need to re-activate your X-Aviation products, for the reactivation screen will come up...you need to be online..and have your log in information ready....but SMP, REAL Weather...Ventura Sky...(this really takes care of the heavy haze!) all work...no LUA script engine failures...

NOAA Weather....

Even my FAST FMC input....all work. Tried each one.  Reset all my SMP settings...and nothing was rejected. Nothing crashed.

Horaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Yeppers...having a blast....