Sign in to follow this  
anubhavs

State of the Union Concerning X-Plane?

Two questions for the PMDG team -

(1) In light of the XP11 Beta release and the warm reception to it by the majority of flightsimmers, does the PMDG team have any plans of porting over their more popular models such as the NGX/777 over to X-plane? Not looking for an ETA, just whether this is is even a consideration..

(2) Was the DC-6 X-plane experiment successful enough for you to commit further to the X-plane platform in the future?

Needless to say, I am one of the recent converts from FSX/P3D to X-Plane 11. I think PMDG has incredible power here to literally shape the future of X-plane by bringing over their more popular (NGX/777/747?) models over, and I for one hope they do take that step. IMO, their engagement with X-Plane can accelerate the platform's maturity, user base, commercial prospects, attract other developers etc. Just get the sense we are at a tipping point for X-Plane..

• Upvote 8

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I do not speak for PMDG; however, they have announced plans for X-Plane that included NGX and 777 as well as the DC-6 in FSX and P3D. They were pretty clear that they intend to support all three platforms. Nothing has changed to my knowledge.

• Upvote 1

I do not speak for PMDG; however, they have announced plans for X-Plane that included NGX and 777 as well as the DC-6 in FSX and P3D. They were pretty clear that they intend to support all three platforms. Nothing has changed to my knowledge.

What a way to tease.  I can just imagine if either the NGX or the 777 showed up in X-Plane, it would be a mass exodus.  Austin would have to buy more servers. lol

• Upvote 3

I am still not sold on XP11, it is definitely getting better with each version, but I still feel that ORBX does a better job with textures, there is still no seasons in XP (to my knowledge). I am really happy with P3D at the moment, not knocking out XP at all, just saying, I am not sure there would be a mass exodus Rich :)

Also, FSL indicated no plans to support XP, but yes, I believe PMDG porting their product to XP will bring in more people to the XP world.

• Upvote 1

Hope theres a discount for P3D version owners  :wink:

As cool as that would be I wouldn't count on it, they have never done anything like that in the past.

777 showed up in X-Plane, it would be a mass exodus

Highly unlikely there will be a mass exodus ... IXEG 737 didn't trigger one, PMDG DC-6 didn't trigger one ... heck still plenty of people hanging onto FS9.  XP11 is definitely a big improvement and I'd expect to see a larger user base in the future, but from experience "mass exodus" just never happens in the flight sim world.

With that said, I'd love to see a PMDG 777 in XP11 and whatever future product comes out of LM/P3D.  Don't really need another 737.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 3

As cool as that would be I wouldn't count on it, they have never done anything like that in the past.

Great point and never will either

Highly unlikely there will be a mass exodus ... IXEG 737 didn't trigger one, PMDG DC-6 didn't trigger one ... heck still plenty of people hanging onto FS9.  XP11 is definitely a big improvement and I'd expect to see a larger user base in the future, but from experience 

Interesting points Rob

I can just imagine if either the NGX or the 777 showed up in X-Plane, it would be a mass exodus.

I haven't used XP11(yet), but I think it's going to take a lot more than PMDG's presence for a "mass exodus".  If it would even be possible to cause one at all.  XP still has a lot more to go in other areas too(weather being my biggest one) in order for it to cause people to leave the ESP platform.

• Upvote 1

I haven't used XP11(yet), but I think it's going to take a lot more than PMDG's presence for a "mass exodus".  If it would even be possible to cause one at all.  XP still has a lot more to go in other areas too(weather being my biggest one) in order for it to cause people to leave the ESP platform.

Then why are we all buying REX and Hifsim weather products same is done with X-Plane - 3rd party developers take care of it 

• Upvote 4

Hope theres a discount for P3D version owners  :wink:

Always one comedian in the group.

• Upvote 1

Always one comedian in the group.

Hi my long loss best friend lol I try to make it light around here lol - hope all is well Mark

Then why are we all buying REX and Hifsim weather products same is done with X-Plane - 3rd party developers take care of it 

Exactly.  But, until it's done for XP, I will stay with P3D.  From what I have gathered so far, there is no 3rd party that can duplicate or surpass AS16 in XP.

• Upvote 1

Exactly.  But, until it's done for XP, I will stay with P3D.  From what I have gathered so far, there is no 3rd party that can duplicate or surpass AS16 in XP.

Not yet but hoping xenviro can pull it off at some point - cloud scapes are stunning nothing I have ever seen before - look real - luv my eye candy over wind any day 

I will give X-Plane this much, the runway contours are amazing! Something that FSX/P3D cannot emulate.

It's just a different experience that really has to be tried to understand.

P3D has its strong points, but until you've tried XP11, you may not realize just how much more advanced graphically it is.

Weather is the last major hurdle for it to clear and some addons are already getting really close. Seasons are nice, but I'm not going to stay with P3D when XP11 is doing nearly everything better just over seasons.

• Upvote 5

I will give X-Plane this much, the runway contours are amazing! Something that FSX/P3D cannot emulate.

FSX/P3D can have runway contours, as demonstrated with certain Orbx products, but it won't be universal.  Way back around FS2004, runways were discussed during the beta process. There were around 20,000 airports included with the program at the time.  As can be seen with X-Plane, some runways look great, while many others are disasters, and a lot in between. More than not, many X-Plane runways are exaggerated. Some are litterly unusable.

Imagine the complaints having 20,000 airports, that would need thousands of hours of additional work by hand.  In reality, there is just too much spacing between elevation points, to have totally accurate runway elevations. Let alone the fill at numerous airports to somewhat level out the runway surface. It's just a compromise that can be accepted by X-Plane users. I like it............sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

Gents,

I always love when folks come through with sweeping generalizations about some new product or new widget that "has been given a warm reception by the majority of simmers."

In nearly 25 years in this community, the only thing I've ever seen it do warmly is a flame war over some esoteric detail that nobody knows anything about, but the OP said it was important so everyone else jumped on the bandwagon assuming it MUST be important, even though they had never heard of it 30 seconds earlier- but cannot believe that the developer doesn't understand how freaking important this esoteric, previously unheard-of detail revealed by the OP really is.....  [deeep inhale]

Perhaps i"m jaded...  =@

As with all of our projects- the things we would LIKE to do are often overcome by the reality of what we CAN do inside the limited space of a single day.

We are well aware that Xplane11 is nearing completion- and we will evaluate it's fitness for handling our airliner conversions once we have some resources freed up from converting the DC-6 to FSX/P3D, and the 747-400 out the hangar door as a finished release...

Until then I'd either be making stuff up or wildly guessing without valid data... and i don't like to do either of those.

• Upvote 5

Hello,

I had some extra time on Saturday and gave the free trial download of X-Plane a try.  Although it recognized my Saitek X36F joystick and X35T throttle in the setup screen and even showed all the proper axis movements, none of the axis registered at all in the sim and I gave up on it after lots of fiddling and Internet research.  And although this PC is beginning to run out of steam the framerates left a LOT to be desired over Prepar3D.  Hopefully there are some optimizations that will speed things up.

I purchase X-Plane every few years, including their very early versions, but always put it back on the shelf.  It's getting there but has a long way to go.

One thing I did like in an interview w/ Austin Meyers (founder of x-plane) was his long-term strategy of rendering clouds as real 3-D objects with their own unique properties, and the idea of a real-time seasonal morph with algorithms that mimic changing leaf colors and dropping of leaves over time, snow pile up over time, etc.   He's got a really good long-term view of how things should work.  He's got his coding efforts cut out for him though.  As I've said in other threads, the Ultimate Flight Simulator would be a World Simulator with an aircraft you can fly through it.   He seems to feel the same way.

I'm all for PDMG being able to support cross-platforms and if it gives X-Plane a boost, that is good for all as healthy competition drives the market.  I'd love to read a couple of interviews with the PDMG developers on some of the pros and cons of writing code for each of the platforms.

One easy-peasy thing Prepar3D could do, in my opinion, is change the default starting aircraft and default airport starting location.  It's lame.  Starting Airport:  If the MSFS franchise used Meigs Field for 20 years, which was super cool by the way (until Mayor Daley wrecked it in the middle of the night), then one would think they would at least pick an airport as interesting if not more so.  When you have all the world to choose....why an average runway in the flat lands of South Georgia?   And as for starting Aircraft: Given that Prepar3D is for academic purposes not sure of the value in a default aircraft being a poorly modeled F-22....no one starts their pilot career in one of these!  You'd think they were picking an aircraft for an Arcade Shooter.

I'll close by saying that it appears Prepar3D still has the longer legs over X-Plane, mostly because of the larger size of the Prepar3D Lockheed-Martin development group.  That company has deep pockets!

Mark Trainer

• Upvote 1

I am still not sold on XP11, it is definitely getting better with each version, but I still feel that ORBX does a better job with textures, there is still no seasons in XP (to my knowledge). I am really happy with P3D at the moment, not knocking out XP at all, just saying, I am not sure there would be a mass exodus Rich :)

Also, FSL indicated no plans to support XP, but yes, I believe PMDG porting their product to XP will bring in more people to the XP world.

Are you actually comparing a paid addon to a default solution? Please stop being so disingenuous.

Highly unlikely there will be a mass exodus ... IXEG 737 didn't trigger one, PMDG DC-6 didn't trigger one ... heck still plenty of people hanging onto FS9.  XP11 is definitely a big improvement and I'd expect to see a larger user base in the future, but from experience "mass exodus" just never happens in the flight sim world.

With that said, I'd love to see a PMDG 777 in XP11 and whatever future product comes out of LM/P3D.  Don't really need another 737.

Cheers, Rob.

I don't see the equivalency between those releases and the NGX for XP. Do you really believe it's comparable? An aging tubeliner in limited use by airlines from a new developer and a prop liner from the golden age of aviation?

Felipe Vicini

Gents,

Yup.  Like I said...  "The only thing I've seen this community do warmly..."

Seriously, gents.  Be nice to one another.  We are all simmers.  That means at the core we are computer geeks and airplane geeks.

Who gives a damn what platform you like? 

I certainly don't.

• Upvote 5

Agreed!  Alive and Comprehending is a good combo!

I started with SubLogic Flight Simulator II for the Commodore 64 and have flown all the major PC sims since.  Right now - well it's never been a better time for the hobby, period.  Try landing an airplane with a FPS of......2.  I'll be building an all new cutting edge rig next spring and I must say I'm seriously stoked.

Mark Trainer