Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

PMDG - Project "Oleo" - Classification - Top Secret

This has been discussed to death. Problem is FSX, not the addon. These effects are possible, but form an absolute performance killer.

To be fair, the discussion of integrated weather radar was also "discussed to death"; however, the prevailing thought was it was impossible to implement due to FSX limitations. Well, we now have 2 PMDG aircraft with wx radars in a third on the way. My point, FSX (and by extension P3D) longevity has enabled developers to workaround perceived limitations. Moreover, some developers (e.g. RealAir) have successfully implemented rain effects with minimum FPS loss. So, it is a viable options...

Matt King

Not sure I understand the hate on the landing rate stat. I think you all forget that we're all simulating this from a desktop platform and chair with zero movement, force feedback, etc. A landing rate at least gives you an idea of what the landing was like, barring any tactile or force feedback.

It seems to me like a good solution to this is simply to program different sound sets based on the landing. We may not have feel but we still have sound. And I could be wrong but I swear I hear different touchdown sounds on the 777, at least insofar as the nose wheel is concerned. Or am I hearing things?

Not sure I understand the hate on the landing rate stat. I think you all forget that we're all simulating this from a desktop platform and chair with zero movement, force feedback, etc. A landing rate at least gives you an idea of what the landing was like, barring any tactile or force feedback.

It seems to me like a good solution to this is simply to program different sound sets based on the landing. We may not have feel but we still have sound. And I could be wrong but I swear I hear different touchdown sounds on the 777, at least insofar as the nose wheel is concerned. Or am I hearing things?

Doesn't A2A AccuFeel simulate this?  

Matt King

To be fair, the discussion of integrated weather radar was also "discussed to death"; however, the prevailing thought was it was impossible to implement due to FSX limitations. Well, we now have 2 PMDG aircraft with wx radars in a third on the way. My point, FSX (and by extension P3D) longevity has enabled developers to workaround perceived limitations. Moreover, some developers (e.g. RealAir) have successfully implemented rain effects with minimum FPS loss. So, it is a viable options...

That is not exact, for the Weather radar PMDG waited for the possibility to get proper data to make a realistic simulation of the system. What happened is that Active Sky team made something with their add on that made it possible for PMDG to get data from Active Sky to do a proper simulation of this system. So the limitation is still there in FSX/P3D, it's just that an addon gives the proper data, and that's why it will only work for those who are running that other weather addon and the other won't have a working weather radar.

Same for the rain effect, it requires animation, companys like RealAir doing small aircraft have the possibility to do it because their aircraft are much smaller and less complex in the cockpit which leaves animations free to do it. On a big aircraft like PMDG 737/777 and probably 747 there is a huge amount of details to animate properly which does not leave this possibility. And actually they did it before on their JS-4100 so they know how to do it if they can.

wedgantilles, on 25 Jan 2017 - 2:06 PM, said:

That is not exact, for the Weather radar PMDG waited for the possibility to get proper data to make a realistic simulation of the system. What happened is that Active Sky team made something with their add on that made it possible for PMDG to get data from Active Sky to do a proper simulation of this system. So the limitation is still there in FSX/P3D, it's just that an addon gives the proper data, and that's why it will only work for those who are running that other weather addon and the other won't have a working weather radar.

You missed the point of my correlation entirely. I was simply making a statement about FSX/P3D maturation and the abilities of developers to overcome perceived "limitations." Whether they overcame those shortcomings by themselves or in concert with other developers is inconsequential to my theses, which is to caution anyone who implicitly states "it's not possible...", because more times than not, it has proved to be possible. Remember, at least 2 (Aerosoft, REX/MELVIZ) other developers have developed radars without AS2016 technology. Given enough time, the talented developers have continued to mesmerize us with introducing amazing complexities into a limited 32-bit sim. Chief amount these developers is PMDG; to that point, if anyone can introduce rain effects into a complicated simulator, it's those guys/girls. In closing, I would not so easily dismiss the poster's guess concerning rain effect. Although it's not something I desire in my sim, I wouldn't suggest that it's not possible...

Matt King

It seems to me like a good solution to this is simply to program different sound sets based on the landing.

Your landing's fine as long as you don't get the crash sound... :wink:

Project Oleo is interesting, but it is a fluff compared with Project Mint.

So, anyone care to guess what Project Mint is?

Tomás Fabada Castellana

Your landing's fine as long as you don't get the crash sound... :wink:

As they say, any landing you can walk away from is a good one, any landing where you can use the aeroplane again is a great one.

And since we're talking about a sim, where you can always use the aeroplane again, by that definition, every sim landing is a good one, even if you leave the gear up and come over the threshold at 250 knots and scrape down the runway shedding bits left right and centre you should still get the sound of your virtual passengers applauding. :smile:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

And since we're talking about a sim, where you can always use the aeroplane again

Well. Maybe it is exactly that what PMDG is up to. Make a hard landing, wreck the plane, have to buy it over again. :ph34r: Just like in reality. 

Already implemented in 777, as far as I know (and surely will be in the 747).

And I could be wrong but I swear I hear different touchdown sounds on the 777, at least insofar as the nose wheel is concerned. Or am I hearing things?

Garrett, You are not hearing things - they are randomised on the 777 - for the 747 we have taken randomisation to a different level ........  :Whistle:

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Did we guess the MD11 port to p3d yet? Woohoo.

Nevermind. I know I have a better chance of going to the moon than seeing that come true. But one can dream.

• Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png