Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

Passenger Weights

Just wondering what the passenger weights are in the new QOTS II?  It seems to be 195lbs, but for some reason, my ZFW keeps ending up about 10,000lbs off of what is calculated in PFPX even though I went ahead and created a new profile for her with the correct weights.  I set the passenger weight in PFPX to 195lbs as well.  It wasn't a big deal as I just adjusted the cargo until it matched up with the ZFW on the fp.

Excellent Aircraft!

Cheers,

Rob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It wasn't a big deal as I just adjusted the cargo until it matched up with the ZFW on the fp.

You have the right idea there. I don't know what the passengers are supposed to weight. For PFPX I only enter a weight in the payload box which includes both passengers and cargo.

I just take the ZFW PFPX spits out and put that straight in and let PMDG figure out the passengers and cargo.

+1. Don't bother doing anything else, real pilots haven't much control over what goes where. There are rules that make other people do this for you. You just check to make sure distribution looks good, and liase with ops and/or others if it's not.

Average passenger weight, according to the FAA, is 195lbs; they revised it in 2004 following the crash of Air Midwest Flight 5418 in 2003, which was a Beech 1900.

Flight 5418 was using the previous older FAA average weight calculation of 175lbs per passenger (a calculation which originated in the 1930s, and to be honest, these days even 195lbs is quite conservative). The NTSB investigation into that accident also revealed that on average, each single bag carried onto a plane was being underestimated in weight by 5lbs, which might not seem a lot, but if you think how many bags get crammed onto a 747, that's a lot of weight to be underestimating.

As a result of the crash of their aircraft, Air Midwest subsequently used an average of 200lbs per passenger, which actually meant they couldn't put a full passenger load on their Beech 1900s any more, but it did mean they didn't have another terrible crash like the one which led to them making that change.