Sign in to follow this  
hammamet1

Undecided about 744 and 777

It's a video game

Ack!  It's a simulation.  :-P

spacer.png

The Simulation vs Game thing always cracks me up.

lol the FS hobby reminds me alot of the model railroad hobby.  My uncle is a big model RR geek, and always is showing me what he has added to his cool setup lol.  If you call a model RRer's setup a 'toy'...they tend to go 'It's not a toy, it's a model!'  Toy, model, game, simulation, semantics....it all serve the same purpose...entertainment :)  

I think the real reason FSers and ModelRRers are so adamant about what their hobby is called...it is a good idea to tell your spouse that you are spending money on a sim or model hobby which sounds much better and 'justifyable' than tell him/her you are spending money on toys and games. :lol:

Cheers

TJ

• Upvote 1

So, how does flying the 747 compare to the 777?  Is there more to do, more planning?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You have to be 'aware' of more things since it is less 'automated', such as fuel use planning and management. You should be aware of those things no matter how automated the plane is. :wink: Flying is a little more 'raw' I guess, since there are fewer pilot aid devices.   It is a bigger airplane with more engines that is less automated, so flying it includes all the added challenges those things entail.  I find energy management to be more of a challenge, both in systems, and flying 'inertia'.  for example, it is less forgiving if you are too high/fast on your descent and approach for IMO.

Like wise with the improved ground handling physics, you really get the sense you are taxiing a 'BIG' airplane, and thus have to plan accordingly.  It is a 747 after all, not a sports car lol.

I do think 747-400 is easier to fly than say, the 377 or Connie without  their crew help turned on.  Now if it were a 747-Classic, yeah then it would be somewhat more difficult I think.  The automation that the 747-400 does have, makes it reasonably doable for the single pilot.   If PMDG does do a classic jetliner, I would hope they come up with a COTS style crew assistance thing or something.  When you get into classic propliner/jetliner/bomber territory, you are getting well beyond what the single pilot can realistically do without crew help.  

Flying the Queen solo is all fine and good when everything works lol.   Dealing with emergencies however, being a single pilot on a 747, or even NGX or T7 is kinda pushing it for 'realisim',  Thats why I usually fly with PMDG's failure model turned off, I don't have a first officer to read troubleshoot checklists LOL.  Tho it is still fun occasionally to get the 'Oh S#$%' moment, and then be forced to deal with it.  :smile:

Cheers

TJ

If possible, buy as many PMDG planes as you can, because supporting a company that provides such great quality products, value, and service usually leads to more of the same and even greater things for the future. I personally so enjoy reading the PMDG manuals, as they are chock full of every thing we need to enjoy the details to a level of realism that approaches reality. I'm looking forward to what is next on the list, and in the mean time I will be flying the 737 747 777 with a huge thanksgiving to PMDG.     :p0502:   

If possible, buy as many PMDG planes as you can

I would if it was something I'd actually fly. I bought the Boeing 747-400 V1 and V3. Didn't buy the 777 as they do not have a 777-200ER available, and didn't buy the 737 as they don't have the split scimitar winglets available. I didn't even run FSX until I got the Boeing 747-400 V3 as I was running FS9 with the Boeing 747-400 V1.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

747, 777... It's all nice and fine, but then there is a REAL thing. It's called MD-11. Until today (I know you all gonna kick me for this) it's the best ever plane developed by PMDG. Period. There is no need to argue about it. No, cockpit textures are not up-to-date, yes it has it's own quirks. But still MD-11 is the most interesting plane to fly (if comapred to other 2). In other words - grow some balls and treat yourself with PMDGs MD-11!  :P

• Upvote 2