B777ER

Thrust Reverse Help Needed

Recommended Posts

Ok, not sure if this is possible. I have a 737 throttle quad from JetMax. For the 747, I have engines 1 and 2 mapped to throttle 1, and 3 and 4 mapped to throttle 2. All done through (payware version) fsuipc. The aforementioned throttles have separate reverse levers that are similar to the 737. Currently I have them set so when I activate them, after pulling the throttles to idle, they put the 747 engines in reverse. They are mapped to the default P3D command to reverse engines, F2 or F3 I believe with the opposite button mapped to stop full reverse when I close the levers.

Now here lies were I want to make some improvements. I would like to be able to gradually increase reverse thrust with these levers as it is now, it's all or nothing. Anyone know how? I don't need max reverse each time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To my knowledge, there is no axis for reverse thrust only Boolean switch states. Be interested in knowing if that is wrong; however, that is how it is set up and I don't know an alternative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly sure this is possible with (a registered version of) FSUIPC, but I haven't done it myself so beyond that I can't offer too much help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Interesting question.

I did something similar to what you are asking about a while back. Using my Seitek Throttle quadrants. In FSUIPC it is possible to have an axis and assign different actions depending to the position of the throttle lever in this case and work throttle and reversers. This only worked as an axis not an axis with a button detente like we usually use.

Not being on my PC as I write this I might get the procedure wrong slightly, but I think you get the idea. There is a way to assign the travel of the axis to work say Throttle 1, the axis is usually reading is something like 16300 at max throttle and -16300 minimum throttle, but if you alter that last figure to -12000 instead you then have a zone from -12000 to -16000 which you can then assign to reversers, or min throttle I think it is called and get your variable reversers you wanted. 

Like I said this has to be assigned as part of the throttle sweep not as a button, and while it worked well for some jets it didn't for others in FSX. In the end I got fed up with trying to locate Min Throttle when taxiing and kept going into reverse when I didn't want to, because you have no physical min throttle to pull the throttle back too, so I went back to using the button at the bottom of the throttle lever and having full reverse all the time..............With the throttle your using that has separate reversers you might have more luck.

I hope that gives you some ideas to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what your saying. The JetMax throttle quad has the same setup as the real deal. Two throttles (which again I have mapped in fsuipc to work all 4 on queen) and in front of those 2 throttles are two separate levers for reverse thrust. Like you state n your last paragraph, I would run into that exact issue you did. Those separate reverse levers are what I am wishing I could assign an Axis to. Right now they are just fancy switches to turn reverse thrust either fully on or off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Right now they are just fancy switches to turn reverse thrust either fully on or off.

I have a much simpler setup, so don't know if this will be of any help:  I have a button on my joystick assigned to repeatedly "press" the F2 (reverse) keyboard key through FSUIPC (not to an axis).  This of course activates all four engines in reverse thrust.  Although it's a simple on-off button, the longer I hold it the more reverse I get (as it's repeatedly pressing F2). If I let go of the button nothing happens -- there is no command assigned to the release of that joystick button. Reverse thrust remains where it was when I released the button.   When I want to get out of reverse, I just jog the joystick thrust lever momentarily and push it back to idle.  This lever is assigned to all four engines in the 747 via FSUIPC, but it cannot activate reverse thrust (reverse thrust disabled for throttle lever in FSUIPC).  So maybe you could map your reverse thrust levers to repeatedly press the F2 key when held, and do nothing when released.  Use your forward thrust levers to get out of reverse thrust by momentarily jogging them and then putting them back to idle.

I use FSX but looks like the commands are the same.

Hope this helps!

Mike

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Mike, might have to try that way out. Going to load up the aircraft tomorrow morning and try a couple different things out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike777 said:

I have a much simpler setup, so don't know if this will be of any help:  I have a button on my joystick assigned to repeatedly "press" the F2 (reverse) keyboard key through FSUIPC (not to an axis).  This of course activates all four engines in reverse thrust.  Although it's a simple on-off button, the longer I hold it the more reverse I get (as it's repeatedly pressing F2). If I let go of the button nothing happens -- there is no command assigned to the release of that joystick button. Reverse thrust remains where it was when I released the button.   When I want to get out of reverse, I just jog the joystick thrust lever momentarily and push it back to idle.  This lever is assigned to all four engines in the 747 via FSUIPC, but it cannot activate reverse thrust (reverse thrust disabled for throttle lever in FSUIPC).  So maybe you could map your reverse thrust levers to repeatedly press the F2 key when held, and do nothing when released.  Use your forward thrust levers to get out of reverse thrust by momentarily jogging them and then putting them back to idle.

I use FSX but looks like the commands are the same.

Hope this helps!

Mike

 

 

I use something similar when i assigned my SAITEK PRO THQ. With FSUIPC I send F2 repeatedly when I move the levers to press the momentary switch at the lower end of the POT scale. Moving it back to POT=0, and thus releasing the momentary switch, I use the FSUIPC command "Thottle off" (or was it "idle", not at home, will check). 

Don't think it will solve Eric's problem though, as he wants the range of the reversers to be controlled. As soon as you hit F2, it will increase reverse thrust until you let go of the key...

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update:

I just tried this and this works great!With this,you can use your throttle as a reverse axis after pushing a button on your yoke.

Be sure to follow the instructions included in the throttlemanager lua.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I bought a 737 throttle/reverser attachment for Saitek Quad. Works great with the 737 for throttles and reverse thrust. For flying the 747, I have set throttle 1 for engines 1-2 and throttle 2 for engines 3-4. This works fine, but unable to set Rev.1 for engines 1&2 and Rev 2 for 3&4. Have a registered version of FSUIPC and am using FSX. Have engines 1 and 2 mapped to Rev lever 1, and 3 and 4 mapped to reverse lever 2 but Rev 1 only works for Eng 1 and Rev 2 for Eng 2.

Have looked through the forum but unable to get a solution. Would appreciate help and suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:45 AM, russkay37 said:

Hi,

I bought a 737 throttle/reverser attachment for Saitek Quad. Works great with the 737 for throttles and reverse thrust. For flying the 747, I have set throttle 1 for engines 1-2 and throttle 2 for engines 3-4. This works fine, but unable to set Rev.1 for engines 1&2 and Rev 2 for 3&4. Have a registered version of FSUIPC and am using FSX. Have engines 1 and 2 mapped to Rev lever 1, and 3 and 4 mapped to reverse lever 2 but Rev 1 only works for Eng 1 and Rev 2 for Eng 2.

Have looked through the forum but unable to get a solution. Would appreciate help and suggestions.

Please follow this and use  reverser 1 and reverser 2.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8mr7cvxo7zjbit/Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 11.39.40 AM.png?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the PFC jet throttle quadrant with the reverser.  Using FSUIPC I go to Axis Assignment, move the lever I want to assign the reverser, go to the drop down menu and select reverser 1 and reverser 2. I repeat for engines 3 and 4.  Make sure that aircraft specific is check. After the selection I go to Calibration and calibrate the throttles.  Make sure there is a fairly large null zone.

Grace and Peace, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still unable to get the Reversers to work.. Tried all combinations and suggestions.

For the moment the only solution seems to be all reversers to operate simultaneously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now