Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

VERY Bad Reviews so far on Steam

I got it for free, but from what I've seen so far on streams I won't bother installing it now. I wish them well for their early access run and may take a look at it later this year.

You guys saying it's early access or it's an alpha need to understand that while that means there could be some bug fixes, performance fixes, and possibly a few features added, it does not mean they are going to make major changes at this point. That's very unlikely. 

Once something has hit public Alpha/Beta, the engine is largely set. You aren't going to get a revamped global lighting system, a new flight model, or new landclass/autogen depiction. The things people were hoping would move us forward aren't there.

Those are the kinds of things that would of made this next-gen. The raindrop thing is cool, but it's clearly a gimmick to distract from the sims other large failings and lack of improvement. 

This stacks up as a lesser P3Dv3 but with rain drops and better default ground textures. At the end of the day, we are customers and everyone has a right to express their disappointment. 

Edited by bonchie
fix
  • Upvote 8

Hello,

Long time MSFS fan here, and former Microsoft employee.  I used to work down the street form ACES at their Westpark studio just off the WLS Parkway 520 exit in Redmond, and I would go to all of the FOFS events they hosted during their existence.  It's important to me to mention that because I don't want my current preference towards XP11 to come off like I'm some XP ###### troll.  

I just spent 20 minutes on FSW.  I took off from Newark and did an expressway approach into LGA 31 with a daytime storm.  Then, I took off from EGLC straight to EGLC, this time a night flight using the cold night preset.

I really want DTG to succeed, and I understand this is Beta.  However, it's going to be hard as a recent X-Plane 11 convert to go back to this simulator, especially without airliners.  I'm by no means a huge fan of XP11, but it's the best option out there right now.  Sim-time is precious when you have life responsibilities, and I'm just not feeling motivated to commit a lot of time to this in its current state, when it it so far removed from my interests.  Thank you in advance to those of you who will put in the time, even though it may not be the ideal flight sim at the moment. 

Observations:

I was shocked how dark it was at night at EGLC, it was literally pitch black.  The external plane lights didn't function, and I could only see the runway lights, I couldn't make out actual runway.  It looked like I was in a Space Odyssey simulation.  When I landed at EGLL, it was so dark that it might have been a field in Kansas.  Also, all of the airports are barren, which kills the immersion factor as well.  Even static airplanes parked at the gates would go a long way to help with that.  

My biggest gripe with XP has always been the "plausible" world. So, with Dovetail, I was looking forward to a return to decent stock scenery.  Unfortunately, it's still the same MSFS scenery from 2006; none of the new towers are in London, the Freedom tower was missing, and approach into LGA was over the old Shea Stadium, not Citi field.  Now, maybe scenery was addressed, and I missed it, but ever other version of flight simulator included an update to scenery, like adding the Gherkin in FSX.  

I found the fluidity of it to be jerky, my system is custom built, and even with dense custom scenery XP11 runs fine with good frames in NYC.  Unfortunately, this still was reminiscent of the struggles of FSX.  

On the plus side, I did like the rain effects.  

I don't want to be too critical, I know this is a beta, and it was free for me as a DTFS purchaser, so I have nothing to gripe about.   However, I'm concerned about where things go from here.  As I mentioned, while I hate the XP11 plausible world concept, there is tons of amazing free scenery out there as part of its open platform, like Boston, that exceeds what I saw in FSW.  With the Dovetail closed platform, I just worry how much I'm going to have to invest to get it to be what I want it to be as a sim, and will it ever be that in light of XP11.  And, if I'm going to put that money in regardless, to me, XP11 is looking like the better investment.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Hopefully this will all be sorted out.  Angry typing guy, I look forward to your response.  

-Paul

• Upvote 15

this did not meet my expectations, but i do agree it is early access and it can become a good sim if given a chance,i thought 64bit would have given slightly better performance, it does feel like a reskinned 64 bit version of fsx with poor performance, but i plan on given all the feedback i can to help this succeed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patriot3810 said:

this did not meet my expectations, but i do agree it is early access and it can become a good sim if given a chance,i thought 64bit would have given slightly better performance, it does feel like a reskinned 64 bit version of fsx with poor performance, but i plan on given all the feedback i can to help this succeed.

That is the spirit:biggrin:

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

It does look very bad at night, i think worse than stock FSX...although my memory might be sugar coating that.  With the sliders turned down to minimum it starts to look like B17 the mighty eighth.

I hope DTG put the work in and make this the sim it can be.

Ian R Tyldesley

10 minutes ago, bonchie said:

You guys saying it's early access or it's an alpha need to understand that while that means there could be some bug fixes, performance fixes, and possibly a few features added, it does not mean they are going to make major changes at this point. That's very unlikely. 

Once something has hit public Alpha/Beta, the engine is largely set. You aren't going to get a revamped global lighting system, a new flight model, or new landclass/autogen depiction. The things people were hoping would move us forward aren't there.

Those are the kinds of things that would of made this next-gen. The raindrop thing is cool, but it's clearly a gimmick to distract from the sims other large failings and lack of improvement. 

This stacks up as a lesser P3Dv3 but with rain drops and better default ground textures. At the end of the day, we are customers and everyone has a right to express their disappointment. 

+1
Agreed... well said!

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

52 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Just sat through about a quarter of Matt Davis stream.

Matt was pretty negative and I can't help but feel that Flight School may have laid the ground work for this and I doubt Matt would have used vanilla P3D for a while either... I blame part of the presentation though on Matt for jumping into a live stream using an alpha for the first time on day one, thats just asking for trouble.

Performance showed itself to be pretty bad and the lack of night lighting - it would have been better to remove options which were not showing complete functionality unless DTG wanted specific feedback. Aside from that I actually thought the product wasn't too bad and for beginners and casual flyers it should provide lots of 'entertainment'. A lot more work for the rest of us but something to build on.

Clearly again this isn't a sim currently for our community, but it does have potential - we just need to see past these early access issues and if in the meantime it can provide some fun scenarios then that would be a bonus.

I watched a little of his stream but it seems like he was just out to bash the sim and didn't really make much of an effort (I turned off after about 15 mins). There was another stream which was better and more detailed here: 

• Upvote 1

I loaded up the bad weather setting EGCC to EGKK, as soon as I got wheels up and the buffeting in flight as rain lashed the screen you are not bothered about the scenery below you can`t see it, but theirs nothing in FSX that comes close to this it has potential, this could with the right upgrades work.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What is a sim 'not for the community'? So I take it FS2 is not for the community either? Nonsense. I've been flightsimming since Bruce Artwick days. I want a platform to be pushed. Now the pushing is needed (long past) in the 64 bit area and P3D/FSX can rightfully be left behind while the 64 bit platforms start to take over. I'm sick and tired of running up against a pathetic memory constraints with the 32 bit platforms. Full moratorium on any further purchases from them. This reminds me of the naysayers with each successive version of MS's flightsim. DTG is trying to push the envelope to modernize and keep up with our nice fancy systems. To the extent that FS2, XP11 and now DTG have done so I applaud them 100% and look forward to further progress and development. And by the way, this is early access unless you guys forgot what that means. And to PMDG who are complaining about the profit issue - when you are making $120.00 plus planes and are not even the licensor's of the platform maybe now you can appreciate what kind of profit DTG needs to make. Or, you can make or license the flightsim platform yourself.

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

27 minutes ago, tonywob said:

There was another stream which was better and more detailed here: 

Great post. Much more evaluative. Thanks.

When will you guys stop making excuses for DTG. How many old timers have to tell you to beware. How many of their Train stuff users have to warn you about their lack of ethics and skills. First they sold you a product that most of you already owned and then they had some flight sim school thing out and now this great release from early reports is not even up to the old FSX and worse still the outside developers can not even help them because they have no method to interface like sim connect. The only interesting thing to watch he is how many more nickles and pennies can they suck up from the bottom of the pond before their next promised amazing release. But wait...there is more!!....buy it in the next ten seconds and get a second one free!! Just pay additional shipping and handleing. Not availiable in stores to hurry and buy now!! 6..5..4..3..2..1......oh OK you can still buy it!!!!LOL

• Upvote 9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Wow, I forgot how toxic and unforgiving AVSIM's userbase can be... must be why I don't come here very often anymore. :dry:

But seriously folks, we are in a great spot in flight simulation. So many options from so many different companies. It almost feels like the 90's again!

• Upvote 5

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

XP is all i can say!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.