OzWhitey

Test pilot report - Dovetail games Flight Sim World

11 posts in this topic

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

i dont give ###### on all this.. how are the basics ?

Weather? winds ? the feel. the real deal.. the rest is nice to have.

Did they improve on feel ?

Ummm...let me get out my "feel" instruments so I can measure that for you....

How in the world do you expect someone else to report on "feel"?????!!!!

I'm pretty sure that Rob described many of the "basics".

Rob, thanks!

After reading the initial reports from the pioneers, some not good, some a little bit better, but none saying FSW is good enough at least in this early stage, I suspect P3D will still be the way to go.

Cheers, Ed

Nobody, not even DTG is suggesting FSW is a replacement to anything yet. It's an unfinished product that was released to get feedback from the users who are willing to be early adopters.

Personally I think it's rough but playable with a bit of tweaking, but does not as yet really bring anything new to the table and before it does there's a lot of missing pieces they need to finish, bugs to fix etc.

If DTG wants to get the user base excited about this sim, then they should get their technical people out in front of users and talk about what they are doing in the guts of the sim that will give it the foundations to make some big leaps forward. And what will those big leaps be and when might we see the benefits? We don't need any more PR, marketing speak, contests and endless talk about raindrops and folding tray tables. Tell us why we should be interested in this platform and why it will have a future.

I always almost feel sorry for developers who release the "early release" stuff, not because there are not people who will try early access, but because most of the people who do try it just don't get what "early access" means, therefore  giving developers major grief. 

At this point FSW has been released precisely with the point of early access - to get peoples thought on bugs, and comments about improving it. Not hyper complaining. And especially not to get trashed because it can't compete with another sim thats ver. 3 or above. Early Access is equivalent to  pre alpha, almost.

6 hours ago, edpatino said:

After reading the initial reports from the pioneers, some not good, some a little bit better, but none saying FSW is good enough at least in this early stage, I suspect P3D will still be the way to go.

Cheers, Ed

Can't agree more..

regards,

Gerard

15 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

I always almost feel sorry for developers who release the "early release" stuff, not because there are not people who will try early access, but because most of the people who do try it just don't get what "early access" means, therefore  giving developers major grief. 

At this point FSW has been released precisely with the point of early access - to get peoples thought on bugs, and comments about improving it. Not hyper complaining. And especially not to get trashed because it can't compete with another sim thats ver. 3 or above. Early Access is equivalent to  pre alpha, almost.

That may be true. Many are forgetting (or ignoring) that it's Early-Access. But I also fear, that many are clinging on to - and thereby forgetting - what Early-Access means (or doesn't mean!), and therefore are settings themselves up for false expectations.

Many are complaining about the known bugs/limitations of the ESP core. Bad vector drawing, autogen placement and depiction, autogen popping, bad draw distance and an lighting engine which is toublesome at best. All these features (or lack of them) are still present and aren't fixed or corrected. Now, the performance part of the simulator will/may probably be fixed during the EA period. BUT (and this is a big one) all major re-writing of core code within the ESP engine WON'T be corrected. And to be honest, many of the problems (and complains) regarding FSX/P3D and now FSW is a part (and known trademarks) of the ESP core. 

I see many people are ducking behind or ignoring (quite valid) critism, simply because of the fact that it's 'Early-Access' - no matter what the critic points are! Many of the critics which is being raised won't / can't be fixed during the Early-Access. They're simply a part of the ESP core engine and I highly doubt that DTG are going to re-write that. 

What you see, is what you get - so to speak... 

Excellent insight into FSW Rob! I agree with it all, but I should report that performance even on my system, and when I bring settings to where I usually had in FSX or P3D, is very good and stable.