b1bmsgt

FSW kinda grows on you

Recommended Posts

I got FSW the first day, as I was a Flight School purchaser. I tried it right away, and, I have to admit, I was very underwhelmed. Tried it again after the update, and was a little more impressed.. Now I find that each time I run it, I like it a little bit more. There is something about the way the aircraft feel that is different from FSX or P3D, but I can't really put my finger on it. If they keep updating and adding features without messing up that feel, I will definitely keep using it. Also, I'm hoping for some tubeliners pretty soon!

 

Russ

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not sure. I have Accufeel installed in my P3D v3.4, but it is still different.

We may never know... ;-)

 

Russ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, it has potential. I like the GA focus. Once they fix the avionics bugs and make progress on weather and ATC as DTG has suggested, it will be really playable. I really wish DTG would either improve on the flight planner, or help the Little Navmap author understand their BGL format so we can use that excellent tool for flight planning.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, b1bmsgt said:

I got FSW the first day, as I was a Flight School purchaser. I tried it right away, and, I have to admit, I was very underwhelmed. Tried it again after the update, and was a little more impressed.. Now I find that each time I run it, I like it a little bit more. There is something about the way the aircraft feel that is different from FSX or P3D, but I can't really put my finger on it. If they keep updating and adding features without messing up that feel, I will definitely keep using it. Also, I'm hoping for some tubeliners pretty soon!

 

Russ

I agree with you, I also noticed some different things in flight mode, how much news, Cryss has announced something for today at the end of the day, or tomorrow in DTG FSW forum.
I very satisfied with FSW.

 

João Alfredo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Is the difference accufeel by A2A?

I thought it might have been that, but when I made that Fight Cub video and compared the FSX Piper Cub with the FSW one, I felt the FSW flew a little better, which would ordinarily have made me think it was Accufeel that was doing it, except that I have the payware A2A Accufeel add on installed in my copy of FSX-SE. I really couldn't nail down exactly what it was, might possibly be just the VC viewpoint, which is from the front cockpit in FSW and the rear one in FSX, or might simply be an impression caused by something other than the flight model, such as the sound or whatever, but it definitely does feel, to me at least, a bit more like a real aeroplane in the FSW Cub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, way back in FSS I thought the flight model of the Cub had been improved.  Not able, either, to say what it might have been that changed, whether something in the flight dynamics of the plane, or perhaps the interface with the environment.  ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chock said:

I thought it might have been that, but when I made that Fight Cub video and compared the FSX Piper Cub with the FSW one, I felt the FSW flew a little better, which would ordinarily have made me think it was Accufeel that was doing it, except that I have the payware A2A Accufeel add on installed in my copy of FSX-SE. I really couldn't nail down exactly what it was, might possibly be just the VC viewpoint, which is from the front cockpit in FSW and the rear one in FSX, or might simply be an impression caused by something other than the flight model, such as the sound or whatever, but it definitely does feel, to me at least, a bit more like a real aeroplane in the FSW Cub.

Quite intrigued by what exists in FSW, it seems very complete, and reminds Cub A2A

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSW\SimObjects\Airplanes\AIo_Piper_J3Cub

 

João Alfredo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't clear.  I wasn't just talking about just the flight model of the Cub, per se.  I meant the flight modeling in general (and I only flew the FSS Cub for any time at all, not any of the other aircraft, as FSS was, in general, atrocious).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew the Super Cub around Portland a bit.  I don't know what it is about the flight dynamics that I like a bit more.  It's not the environment.  Still flies a bit too much on rails, and turbulence is a bit silly (far too jerky in a persistent way).  I think it may be the engine physics.  The engines just seem to act a bit more like I would expect with changes in throttle.  And I cannot detect the loop in engine sounds.  Seems to vary endlessly like an actual engine.  Very nice.  

I can say one thing.  It's nicely optimized.  I was flying around Portland with everything but traffic on Ultra and rain drops on the windshield and I was having no problem staying at my locked 30 FPS.  Couldn't do that in P3D or FSX.  And no stutters whatsoever.  

The new shaders look nice as well.  Orbx global is looking more like it should.  And the lighting on the terrain looked nice. 

If it weren't for the basic features missing, such as an in flight map, and terrible ATC, I'd probably fly it more.  It's sort of growing on me too.

I'm hopeful that DTG can continue improvements and make a go of this sim.  With some decent addons, I can see switching between this and XP11.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure even I understand why, but the inability to start from a gate or parking is absolutely killing any possible positivity I would like to muster on FSW. And to me the flight planner is unacceptable. Makes me not even want to launch FSW and so I don't. Really wish they'd address this...I don't consider myself a very picky or stubborn simmer and I know it's Early Access, but I'm about to forget about this sim entirely if this doesn't get addressed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, glenecho3 said:

I'm not sure even I understand why, but the inability to start from a gate or parking is absolutely killing any possible positivity I would like to muster on FSW. And to me the flight planner is unacceptable. Makes me not even want to launch FSW and so I don't. Really wish they'd address this...I don't consider myself a very picky or stubborn simmer and I know it's Early Access, but I'm about to forget about this sim entirely if this doesn't get addressed soon.

Improving the flight planner is on their roadmap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, b1bmsgt said:

There is something about the way the aircraft feel that is different from FSX or P3D, but I can't really put my finger on it

That is the A2A Accufeel at work, works just the same if you add it to P3D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it isn't. I've had the paid version of Accufeel in FSX and P3D from the start. 

I know they've worked on aircraft more than most elements of the sim, and I don't know what they have changed, but the differences, however small, are a move in the right direction. 

Starting on the runway and the silly flight planner (with no way to access it or a map without pausing the sim) really bother me as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now