Skywolf

New iMac Pro should be great for P3Dv4 in Windows Bootcamp

Recommended Posts

Hey,

 

I just saw the specs on this beast, I dunno how the cooling will work but 18 Cores with 16GB VRAM (Radeon Pro) and comes with max 128GB Ram.  Oh this will be a monster to sim in with Prepar3d running in Bootcamp (full native Windows).

 

Just hoping LM to fix their native VR, I have no idea how a broken VR got passed in beta testing.  I mean were the beta testers not testing VR at all? LM has VR in their offices.

 

Sharing thoughts about the new Imac Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It'll be terrible. P3D won't benefit from 18 cores or a million gigabytes of Ram. P3D benefits from high IPC, coming from each core, which that 18 core certainly won't have going for it. Plus Vega, an AMD card, which is notorious for having consistently worse performance and support in flight simulators in general. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Build your own PC.  Look, I love Mac's and Macbook Pro's a lot,  But they are productivity tools not for gaming.  Sure you can game on them but with the cost of them you can build a PC that will game even better for less money.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

5300$? Really? For a MAC? Using it to fly P3D?

 

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Share this post


Link to post

 

The PC master race are out in full force today.

Do not listen to them, my friend.

I bought a Mac for sim purposes - I don't think you can get Prepar3d for it, but I use Microsoft flight simulator, which is available for Macintosh, no need for boot camp and all that bother.

Frames rates are acceptable, and my machine is not 18 core, so your experience may be even better.

Share this post


Link to post

That has nothing to do with PC master race.

When I spend 5300€ on a "normal" PC, I get a system with 3-way 1080ti SLI and everything you ever dreamt of :-) So give me one reason to buy that Mac for flight simming?

 

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but a Mac for P3D? No way.

Share this post


Link to post

Lol, guys, I was just saying about the out of this world specs packed in a small desktop.  See my current specs - I can build a cheaper pc faster than the new imac.  I already run with 6 4Ks screen.  Obviously p3d doesn't scale to that insane resolution (it does with no addons and sliders set to left on p3dv3.4 but I am 100% in VR now.  I can never sim on a monitor now.

 

I know P3D4+ will consume RAM and VRAM like a monster and those 2 things are very important moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, swiesma said:

That has nothing to do with PC master race.

When I spend 5300€ on a "normal" PC, I get a system with 3-way 1080ti SLI and everything you ever dreamt of :-) So give me one reason to buy that Mac for flight simming?

 

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but a Mac for P3D? No way.

One reason?

See those guys in the grey sacks, marching in unison. That is you, my friend. I may get less frames per second than you do, but I am fighting against the system. 

Vive la revolution!

Rob

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Lol, guys, I was just saying about the out of this world specs packed in a small desktop.  See my current specs - I can build a cheaper pc faster than the new imac.  I already run with 6 4Ks screen.  Obviously p3d doesn't scale to that insane resolution (it does with no addons and sliders set to left on p3dv3.4 but I am 100% in VR now.  I can never sim on a monitor now.

 

I know P3D4+ will consume RAM and VRAM like a monster and those 2 things are very important moving forward.

VR is great, though my Mac flight sim is screen-only for now. As you can see in the pic, I've tried to get my HMD working with it, but so far, no luck - so if anyone knows how to get an Oculus hooked up to a Mac, let me know.

Flightsim%20Mac%20IMG_2235%20002_zpsptnx 

Now, you guys are all 'I've got triple SLI' and whatever but my sim machine is a REAL beast:

  • It's an SE/30, YES, you heard that right.
  • 4MB of RAM
  • I upgraded to the 80MB HDD,

That's US$6,569 woth of Mac there, my friends.

I have a copy of Flight Simulator that is working very nicely. As mentioned, FPS are kind of low, so unless I can improve performance the Oculus might be suboptimal even if I can get it hooked up. 

Do you guys think 8MB of RAM might solve my VR problems here?

:dry:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Man I could get a PC, ACE yoke and perhaps throw some money to get a FSC throttle quadrant...

Share this post


Link to post

Man.... the only thing I want is that 5k Retina display...

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

VR is great, though my Mac flight sim is screen-only for now. As you can see in the pic, I've tried to get my HMD working with it, but so far, no luck - so if anyone knows how to get an Oculus hooked up to a Mac, let me know.

Flightsim%20Mac%20IMG_2235%20002_zpsptnx 

Now, you guys are all 'I've got triple SLI' and whatever but my sim machine is a REAL beast:

  • It's an SE/30, YES, you heard that right.
  • 4MB of RAM
  • I upgraded to the 80MB HDD,

That's US$6,569 woth of Mac there, my friends.

I have a copy of Flight Simulator that is working very nicely. As mentioned, FPS are kind of low, so unless I can improve performance the Oculus might be suboptimal even if I can get it hooked up. 

Do you guys think 8MB of RAM might solve my VR problems here?

:dry:

 

Love that Classic Mac.  I miss hypercard...best tool ever.  I used hypercard and laserdisc back in school when they first had them and did first demo in class using it. 

 

Lol VR with it ....haha

 

Best thing is hardware for all of us is really improving and it will make P3D experience better for all.  By the hotfix is coming soon, I saw Beau's message in a VR thread at LM's forum

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

 

Love that Classic Mac.  I miss hypercard...best tool ever.  I used hypercard and laserdisc back in school when they first had them and did first demo in class using it. 

 

Lol VR with it ....haha

 

Best thing is hardware for all of us is really improving and it will make P3D experience better for all.  By the hotfix is coming soon, I saw Beau's message in a VR thread at LM's forum

I used the classic macs in school too, didn't really like them (more of a PC master race guy myself :happy:), but got nostalgic after reading the Jobs biography so went out and bought three of them! They all work well, and I did find a copy of the original Mac Microsoft FS on 3.5 floppy, brings back some memories.

As for VR, I posted an error thread yesterday in the P3D forum, and beau was pretty quick to respond which is great. Its good to hear they're working on it, tbh I'm really enjoying it in v4 already and have done all of my flying over the last few days with the Oculus. Hard to go back to a screen! 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, sultanofswing said:

Build your own PC.  Look, I love Mac's and Macbook Pro's a lot,  But they are productivity tools not for gaming.  Sure you can game on them but with the cost of them you can build a PC that will game even better for less money.

I prefer to use Macs for work, earn money, and be able to buy a VERY good PC for my fav sim :-)

Andrea

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Hey,

 

I just saw the specs on this beast, I dunno how the cooling will work but 18 Cores with 16GB VRAM (Radeon Pro) and comes with max 128GB Ram.  Oh this will be a monster to sim in with Prepar3d running in Bootcamp (full native Windows).

 

Just hoping LM to fix their native VR, I have no idea how a broken VR got passed in beta testing.  I mean were the beta testers not testing VR at all? LM has VR in their offices.

 

Sharing thoughts about the new Imac Pro

I use a 2015 MBP for everything but gaming, and run Bootcamp for a few other MS programs running Win 10.  Because I don't use my Win 7 PC for anything but gaming I don't use any kind of anti-virus software, disable Defender, so can run a clean boot for P3D w/ OS on one Samsung 850 SSD and dual boot for other games on a different 850 SSD with OS and Avast for web browsing protection.   The iMac will not be a better gaming rig than what you can build for half the cost using Skylake X and GTX Titan Xp or 1080ti, but if you need everything else the iMac offers perhaps it could work for you.  I have no idea how the Radeon will work for P3D.

Share this post


Link to post

There's no doubt the new iMac Pro is an impressive AIO (all-in-one) PC, the most powerful ever.  That being said, thermal limitations will prevent the internal processors (CPU, GPU) from reaching the same clock speeds as a standalone custom system with superior thermal characteristics.  If we assume a maximum Turbo speed in the range of 4.3-4.5GHz (which Intel has indicated is the maximum speed for this product family), and we know that as a proprietary system this machine will not expose overclocking options to the end user (no Mac ever has), we can safely assume that it will fall several hundred MHz short of the clock speed of CPUs in the fastest standalone desktop machines.  Similarly, the GPU will also be thermally-constrained and it has been rumored that it will feature a cutdown GPU with approximately 12.5% of the chip rumored to be disabled, along with lower clock speeds, all to fit within the thermal design power (TDP) of the iMac's cooling system.  Ergo, this is not *the best* machine for flight sim in terms of performance.

That being said, it should be a fantastic machine for content creators.  It pretty much ticks every box you could imagine except for upgradability, but you just don't get that with the Mac anymore anyway so you have to factor this in when considering a Mac.

Full disclosure: I am typing this message on a Macbook Pro, and have worked for Apple as a phone support agent (iOS) in the past, so I am by no means anti-Apple.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

 

The PC master race are out in full force today.

Do not listen to them, my friend.

I bought a Mac for sim purposes - I don't think you can get Prepar3d for it, but I use Microsoft flight simulator, which is available for Macintosh, no need for boot camp and all that bother.

Frames rates are acceptable, and my machine is not 18 core, so your experience may be even better.

Don't even know where to begin with this one...

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Don't even know where to begin with this one...

 

I presume you saw the later posts where I showed off my Mac that runs native FS? :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, whoispankaj said:

5300$ ?

4999 for 32GB RAM, 8GB lowest version Vega and 8 core CPU. I can't imagine cost for 18core (currently up to 1400 USD difference on Intel price list) and difference between AMD Vega variants... I guess that top model will be over 7k, for that price you will easily build two HEDT 8core intel, gtxt 1080Ti PCs with similar monitor... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Jiri Kocman said:

4999 for 32GB RAM, 8GB lowest version Vega and 8 core CPU. I can't imagine cost for 18core (currently up to 1400 USD difference on Intel price list) and difference between AMD Vega variants... I guess that top pomel will be over 7k, for that price you will easily build two HEDT 8core intel, gtxt 1080Ti PCs with similar monitor... 

Add the taxes and shipping :-D

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

4999 for 32GB RAM, 8GB lowest version Vega and 8 core CPU. I can't imagine cost for 18core (currently up to 1400 USD difference on Intel price list) and difference between AMD Vega variants... I guess that top model will be over 7k, for that price you will easily build two HEDT 8core intel, gtxt 1080Ti PCs with similar monitor... 

Keep in mind this includes a 5k, 27 inch, 10-bit, DCI P3 display.  That's worth at least $1500.  Can you get a better value?  Sure.  No one would argue otherwise.  Apple doesn't market to the low-end of any market, though, so the cost isn't a consideration for most people who buy their products.  

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Keep in mind this includes a 5k, 27 inch, 10-bit, DCI P3 display.  That's worth at least $1500.  Can you get a better value?  Sure.  No one would argue otherwise.  Apple doesn't market to the low-end of any market, though, so the cost isn't a consideration for most people who buy their products.  

You are right.

But I see it in this way: Some years ago, a MAC was a MAC and a PC was a PC. Now, a MAC is built out of PC parts, runs Windows if you want to. The only thing "special" is the OS and the design. The question is: are you willing to pay 2 to 5 times the price you have to pay for a PC with the same or better specs?

 

At least for P3D I can give you the answer :-)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now