captain420

How to stop annoying "black" texture popping in P3D v4?

Recommended Posts

There's a texture command that you can put in the cfg file to fix this, I forgot what it was. Does anyone know? It's really annoying when you pan around to look at something and then pan back to see your textures black and have to reload. What's the cause of this? The 3rd party airports/scenery? Because I would think that going 64bit would fix these issues. I think the 3rd party developers need to update their addon scenery?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think you mean TEXTUREMAXLOAD=30 (the default is around 3 I think)

That sped up my texture loading enormously.

Edit to add: Put it in the [Display] part of the cfg file..

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think we will ever get rid of that until LM fix it.  Once you fly away from an area that scenery is unloaded.  This was made like this on purpose to save on VAS.  Now that VAS isn't an issue LM "should" be able to just leave the scenery loaded in.

Share this post


Link to post

My Prepar3D.cfg shows TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024... 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WarpD said:

My Prepar3D.cfg shows TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024... 

That's something different. That is just how big of a texture size the game can load. 

 

TextureMaxLoad is a different entry, under [DISPLAY], which can be set to 30 to alleviate "black texture" problems. There's also TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT, which you can set to something like 120. That should significantly decrease the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, WarpD said:

My Prepar3D.cfg shows TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024... 

TextureMaxLoad not TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD

Share this post


Link to post

I had black AI when I finally got my install done. What I did was install TextureMaxLoad=30 and my problems went away. Try what S_D said.

Share this post


Link to post

texturemaxload=12 could fix it too. 30 is really high and might be a drag on your system.

You can try texture bandwidth multiplayer higher than 30 I changed mine to fsx steam's setting of 160 and that got rid of the slow texture loading and I did not need to add texturemaxload

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, this seem to have fixed the problem for me! Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Thanks, this seem to have fixed the problem for me! Awesome!

Did you use TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT or texturemaxload?

Share this post


Link to post

My Prepar3D.cfg shows TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and is in the [GRAPHICS] section of prepar3d v4.1.  Are you saying I should change it to 30?  I don't think so!   lol

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mark Niebauer said:

My Prepar3D.cfg shows TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and is in the [GRAPHICS] section of prepar3d v4.1.  Are you saying I should change it to 30?  I don't think so!   lol

Really!!

I think you need to read the topic again before jumping to wrong conclusions.

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD and TextureMaxLoad are two different entries.

A crystal clear version below just for you.

 [DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad=xx

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=xxxx

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Mark Niebauer said:

My Prepar3D.cfg shows TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and is in the [GRAPHICS] section of prepar3d v4.1.  Are you saying I should change it to 30?  I don't think so!   lol

Why can't people read the entire topic before berating others and making himself look a fool.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

Why can't people read the entire topic before berating others and making himself look a fool.

Take it easy Dean :smile:

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry.  It was made pretty clear though.  If he had simply misunderstood I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but to mock others for his own shortcomings .........

Merry XMas! 

Share this post


Link to post

To be totally fair, when I was in H.S. Reading Comprehension was readily taught. I think that got way-laid about 20 years ago. So nowadays, someone a lot younger than I get tripped up by printed phrases that are comparable to other similar printed phrases. When things aren't taught, they disappear. (just sayin')

By the way, I have problems with AI aircraft models doing that black thing, so I'm going to try the tip provided.

Share this post


Link to post

Are there any impacts on performance when using these tweaks? If it was as simple as changing a few numbers around in the config file, then why hasn't LM implemented it already? :) 

Skeptical, 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ssair1 said:

Are there any impacts on performance when using these tweaks? If it was as simple as changing a few numbers around in the config file, then why hasn't LM implemented it already? :) 

Skeptical, 

You have to look at it from LM point of view.

Take your PC. If everyone had a cpu@4.9 and a 1080Ti  default setting would be very different. Even TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 might be the standard setting.

But they have to make it run on 4+ year old PC and cannot have setting for everything in a UI as a lot of people will screw the sim up. 

I use  TextureMaxLoad=80 because it gives more throughput with a 1070 but the default is designed to work for all cards, hence a safe low number.

v4 does not need tweaking like p3d v1-3 or fsx I only use 2

TextureMaxLoad=80 being one of them. Do you need to add any? probably not. But can you help your PC to get more out of it? probably yes.

You're right being Skeptical there is a lot of miss information even on here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

You have to look at it from LM point of view.

 

Thank you, David; I do agree with your assertions: seems reasonable. Just out of curiosity, since I do encounter the annoying black spots phenomenon, what setting would you recommend? As a side note, I’ve had some success with Process Lasso, Affinity mask, and NI refresh rate limiter settings thus far. I was experiencing micro stutters and am hesitant to continue fiddling around with my config file…

Kind regards,

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, ssair1 said:

Thank you, David; I do agree with your assertions: seems reasonable. Just out of curiosity, since I do encounter the annoying black spots phenomenon, what setting would you recommend? As a side note, I’ve had some success with Process Lasso, Affinity mask, and NI refresh rate limiter settings thus far. I was experiencing micro stutters and am hesitant to continue fiddling around with my config file…

Kind regards,

Even with you PC you might not get rid of the black spots as LM tried to optimize memory to stop OOM so "it" unloads textures it feels are not needed. If I was you I would test it.

Go around 4,000ft in a default aircraft were you find you can see black textures with no tweaks. Try  TextureMaxLoad=80 or even 160 given the power of your GFX and see what it brings. I feel it will not stop it as LM built in the code to offload the textures "not needed". But I hope you will find it helps.

That's why you're right in being Skeptical. If you see it helps, class that as a result even if it does not totally do away with the problem. Let everyone know how it does work your end as people with a 1080Ti am sure would like to know.

I don't want to go into setting as it's way too long but even with your high end PC I would suggest you set FPS to limited within the sim. The sim works in a different way with fps locked and you have/should have all the headroom you need with that great PC of your. 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Even with you PC you might not get rid of the black spots as LM tried to optimize memory to stop OOM so "it" unloads textures it feels are not needed. If I was you I would test it.

Go around 4,000ft in a default aircraft were you find you can see black textures with no tweaks. Try  TextureMaxLoad=80 or even 160 given the power of your GFX and see what it brings. I feel it will not stop it as LM built in the code to offload the textures "not needed". But I hope you will find it helps.

That's why you're right in being Skeptical. If you see it helps, class that as a result even if it does not totally do away with the problem. Let everyone know how it does work your end as people with a 1080Ti am sure would like to know.

I don't want to go into setting as it's way too long but even with your high end PC I would suggest you set FPS to limited within the sim. The sim works in a different way with fps locked and you have/should have all the headroom you need with that great PC of your. 

Ok, So I went ahead and added “TextureMaxLoad=80,” as the last entry under [Display] in my Config file. Flying the A2A Cessna, over London (EGLC), at 4000 feet, I noticed a considerable improvement; Although I should continue testing, I have yet to notice any black spots. And I have limited my FPS with Nvidia Inspector to 31.5 and running ½ of my refresh rate with VSync and triple buffering set ON. These NI settings, in conjunction with Process Lasso and AM of 116, have alleviated the micro studders, resulting in a smoother experience. Thanks again, David!

Regards,

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, ssair1 said:

Ok, So I went ahead and added “TextureMaxLoad=80,” as the last entry under [Display] in my Config file. Flying the A2A Cessna, over London (EGLC), at 4000 feet, I noticed a considerable improvement; Although I should continue testing, I have yet to notice any black spots. And I have limited my FPS with Nvidia Inspector to 31.5 and running ½ of my refresh rate with VSync and triple buffering set ON. These NI settings, in conjunction with Process Lasso and AM of 116, have alleviated the micro studders, resulting in a smoother experience. Thanks again, David!

Regards,

Your welcome and it's great to know that tweak worked for you.

Happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post

Friends,

I'm not sure what a TextureMaxLoad setting of 80 would do, because as best I remember, TextureMaxLoad has to be set in multiples of 3.  I don't know how P3D would handle a setting that is not as multiple of 3, but it might disregard the setting and use a default.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now