Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyforever

So, is P3D3 dead?

5 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

I'm sorry my opinion upsets you so much.

It's not your opinion that upsets me because everyone is entitled to that. It's your demands that support for v3.4 is withdrawn now that's annoying.

You say v3.4 is outdated. I disagree. It's just not the latest version and people have varied reasons why they're not prepared to switch to v4 just yet. I'll buy it myself in good time but I never rush in because there are always problems to resolve and I don't get paid for being a beta tester.

In 2-3 years the situation with 32-bit will be very different and most people may well migrate to v4.

Just exercise a little patience and stop saying developers should abandon 32-bit support now. There is a learning curve in any case.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, warriorpilot said:

Times like this that I wish I could add rules like in the Reddit "Sub Reedits" . 

For example 

- You cannot call out the others opinion as irrational or unrealistic. Comments violating those rules would be removed. 

Both of you make valid points but it's becoming a back and forth that seems to me one of you is enjoying and the other person is not. It's an opinion. Accept. Agree with it internally or not. Then move one. We are not here to change the other persons mind. 

Well, that's *my* job and I am watching. However, both are making their points, civilly with an edge but still maintaining decorum.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I Think V3 will be around for quite a while to come, as Ray says there will be some aircraft that wont be coverted to 64 bit and if you wish to continue flying these then there is no reason not to do so. People have been predicting the death of FSX for ages and there are still quite a few people that choose to fly that sim, me included :wink:.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

None of my copters work in V4, or does EZdok 1. Can't see any reason to move. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

I think Michael's point he is trying to make is its okay if a particular person wants to stay with v3. But he is not wanting those users then to go to 3rd party developers demanding new releases also be made for their now outdated 32 bit sim platform. And truth be told, I agree with him. For years 64bit was the holy grail to end OOM, allow expansion of scenery and aircraft development, etc... I myself am in the midst of switching to v4 and intend of deleting v3 tomorrow actually. The future is v4 and 64 bit. Heck besides the announcement from those scenery developers, QW announced that the 787 will be be for v4 only. So that wave of 64bit only development is approaching and I am okay with it. It's IMO needed to grow the hobby for the better. 

Eric 

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

It's your demands that support for v3.4 is withdrawn now that's annoying.

Still not a demand. Not sure why you keep saying that.

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You say v3.4 is outdated. I disagree. It's just not the latest version

Isn't that the textbook definition of outdated? Regardless, going from 32-bit to 64-bit and the SDK getting a major overhaul is one of the biggest updates P3D has received to date. There's no precedent, so I'm not buying into any notion of this just being a small jump and can easily be dismissed. 

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It's not your opinion that upsets me because everyone is entitled to that. It's your demands that support for v3.4 is withdrawn now that's annoying.

You say v3.4 is outdated. I disagree. It's just not the latest version and people have varied reasons why they're not prepared to switch to v4 just yet. I'll buy it myself in good time but I never rush in because there are always problems to resolve and I don't get paid for being a beta tester.

In 2-3 years the situation with 32-bit will be very different and most people may well migrate to v4.

Just exercise a little patience and stop saying developers should abandon 32-bit support now. There is a learning curve in any case.

In my very first post you quoted, I  said "It's relevant in the extend of still allowing access to some yet ported addons" which clearly means I have no issue with people sticking to the platform for the foreseeable future. Hell, if you want to stick with V3 for the next 20 years, be my guest. What I want is the developers to move their sights away from the older platforms, that is what I mean by killing the platform as these platforms usually live and breathe by their third party support. It has already happened with a number of prominent developers and I assume more will follow, which is great. However, if you as a user expect to stay on an older platform for years and demand continued support for it in a vocal way, when the developers clearly want something else, then you are one of the people being a big ball and chain around the ankles of flight simulation moving forward, which in turn hurts everyone else who did decide to move on. That's the magical line where my sympathy ends.

The FSX situation has been dire enough.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I think Michael's point he is trying to make is its okay if a particular person wants to stay with v3. But he is not wanting those users then to go to 3rd party developers demanding new releases also be made for their now outdated 32 bit sim platform. And truth be told, I agree with him. 

I have never demanded anything from 3rd party developers. I look at what is on offer and if I like the look of it I'll buy it. Otherwise I just wait.

It would be very easy now to demand of FS Labs that they convert Concorde to 64-bit. But that request is likely to antagonise them rather than convince them to start on it.

If I'm honest I would buy v4 tomorrow if Concorde was compatible but it isn't so I have to bide my time. I'm pretty happy with the number of airports I have for v3.4 too.

Another factor that hasn't been discussed is the potential cost of 64-bit addons. Might they attract a hefty premium rather like 4K Blu-ray disks do over their Blu-ray equivalents? People might be less enamoured with v4 then.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Still not a demand. Not sure why you keep saying that.

Isn't that the textbook definition of outdated? Regardless, going from 32-bit to 64-bit and the SDK getting a major overhaul is one of the biggest updates P3D has received to date. There's no precedent, so I'm not buying into any notion of this just being a small jump and can easily be dismissed. 

In my very first post you quoted, I  said "It's relevant in the extend of still allowing access to some yet ported addons" which clearly means I have no issue with people sticking to the platform for the foreseeable future. Hell, if you want to stick with V3 for the next 20 years, be my guest. What I want is the developers to move their sights away from the older platforms, that is what I mean by killing the platform as these platforms usually live and breathe by their third party support. It has already happened with a number of prominent developers and I assume more will follow, which is great. However, if you as a user expect to stay on an older platform for years and demand continued support for it in a vocal way, when the developers clearly want something else, then you are one of the people being a big ball and chain around the ankles of flight simulation moving forward, which in turn hurts everyone else who did decide to move on. That's the magical line where my sympathy ends.

The FSX situation has been dire enough.

Having read your latest reply I don't think it's worth continuing with this discussion.  Continue to debate it to your heart's content. Good night.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It would be very easy now to demand of FS Labs that they convert Concorde to 64-bit. But that request is likely to antagonise them rather than convince them to start on it.

If I'm honest I would buy v4 tomorrow if Concorde was compatible but it isn't so I have to bide my time. I'm pretty happy with the number of airports I have for v3.4 too.

Another factor that hasn't been discussed is the potential cost of 64-bit addons. Might they attract a hefty premium rather like 4K Blu-ray disks do over their Blu-ray equivalents? People might be less enamoured with v4 then.

Ray, if you fly the Concorde exclusively, if I were you I would absolutely ask FSLabs to update it. Heck, if I was in your position I would tell them I would be willing to to pay for an upgrade to v4. Personally, I think they are so swamped with their Airbus development process that they simply don't have time. 

Eric 

4 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Ray, if you fly the Concorde exclusively, if I were you I would absolutely ask FSLabs to update it. Heck, if I was in your position I would tell them I would be willing to to pay for an upgrade to v4. Personally, I think they are so swamped with their Airbus development process that they simply don't have time. 

Eric,

They issued a statement a couple of months ago saying they would look at what's involved after the A320 work to 64-bit was completed. We have go respect that decision given the A320 sales far exceed those of Concorde. They know my feelings about it, don't worry.

in any case a 64-bit version of the CIVA INS is required but fortunately the author is already working on that. I'm not against paying for any update but they're a small team with limited resources. We have to be patient.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think p3dv3 had pretty much max 2 years to live.. After which ,developers will stop developing v3 add-ons...

I personally don't see the point of developing for 3.4 and lower anymore,  If I were a developer and seeing what is now available to me with V4 that would be the route I would take.   It's kind of a catch 22.  Develop for both versions and have an inferior product in 3.4 or only develop in V4 and that will pretty much force users to go to V4 which Lockheed Martin wins either way.

--Sean Hart

will pretty much force users to go to V4

15 minutes ago, sultanofswing said:

I personally don't see the point of developing for 3.4 and lower anymore,  If I were a developer and seeing what is now available to me with V4 that would be the route I would take.   It's kind of a catch 22.  Develop for both versions and have an inferior product in 3.4 or only develop in V4 and that will pretty much force users to go to V4 which Lockheed Martin wins either way.

"will pretty much force users to go to V4"

It would be ideal for new simmers that have the hardware for sure however many simmers like myself who have many thousands of dollars invested in add ons can keep happily flying  indefinably, in fact it would probably take me until the end of time to thoroughly explore all my ORBX regions alone :cool:

ZORAN

Is P3Dv3 dead?  No.  But it will be.  Just like you and me.

But don't call the priest just yet...

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case